Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr1970

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
Afternoon all

Having built a hackintosh with my son, I've taken his old G5 1.6 to use as a desktop. Lovely being able to use dual screens, usefully quicker than my Powerbook G4 1.5 and generally quick enough to do the usual - mail, browsing etc.

Problem is, it's started freezing roughly once a day. No mouse or keyboard reaction, going into standby by using the monitor button doesn't help, the only thing to do is turn it off using the front panel button.

I put new RAM in a few months back and replaced the HDD when it died, so that stuff should all be OK. Any suggestions? I've run all the usual maintenance things via Onyx - permissions, logs, daily / weekly / monthly scripts and so on.

My big concern is obviously that I don't want it to just die on me; no way am I replacing the logic board if it goes.

Many thanks

mr1970

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Onyx is mostly worthless. Verify your HDD form Disk Utility (not permissions) even if it "should be OK". Run AHT from OS Install disc. Check temperatures with Temperature Monitor or iStat. Try to run with minimal memory amount (2 sticks) and post results of all of this.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I agree about onyx. It's sketchy at best and I do not let it anywhere near my systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.