Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
I've already tried asking this question once before over here, but I didn't get a definite answer. (and the topic has already vanished onto the second page, these forums are so busy!)

So I decided that I'll try this one more time with a more descriptive topic title. The question is:

It seems to me that between the click-wheel and the actual iPod (the solid white part), there is a small gap where liquids could infiltrate (unlike the 3G iPod which was totally sealed around the touch-sensitive wheel and buttons)

Can anyone confirm if this could be a problem? For example, if my hand was wet, could I safely use the Click-Wheel???

Thanks in advance for any help.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Well, I can't confirm this because there's NO WAY I would ever try it on my 4G iPod. ;)

But I see what you mean, there does appear to be a very slight gap between the click wheel and the rest of the encasing, but it's hard to say. So I would recommend that you just make sure your hands are dry and that you don't have your iPod out in the elements if you can avoid it.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Yeah, I would not expose it to liquids. The wheel on the mini is similar and I don't recommend it.

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
As a general rule, I don't touch trackpads with anything but dry hands.

I sprayed my old Vaio's trackpad with JUST A TINY BIT of Lysol. Bad idea ... the touchpad lost much of its sensitivity after that. You could still use it, but you had to press down really hard. I don't know what the Lysol did per se, but it was obviously not good.

If you're concerned about moisture in general, get a case. I don't have an iPod so I can't recommend anything, but I'm sure quite a few here would be able to help you pick a case. :)

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hopefully someone will come out with a skin for the new iPod. RadTech made a great one for the 3g, and Im sure it will be possible to come up with a form-fitting solution for the 4g. Even if it isnt water proof, a layer or fabric/neoprene/whatever would be a plus.

Charlie

dotnina

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
I should add that the title of this thread disturbed me. I pictured someone going out for a swim ... and taking his new 4G with him. :)

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
dotnina said:
As a general rule, I don't touch trackpads with anything but dry hands.

I sprayed my old Vaio's trackpad with JUST A TINY BIT of Lysol. Bad idea ... the touchpad lost much of its sensitivity after that. You could still use it, but you had to press down really hard. I don't know what the Lysol did per se, but it was obviously not good.

If you're concerned about moisture in general, get a case. I don't have an iPod so I can't recommend anything, but I'm sure quite a few here would be able to help you pick a case. :)

Yes, I can vouch that Lysol is not good for computers. About a year and a half ago, before I got my current laptop, I was using my iBook right after I had used some Lysol and gotten some on my sleeve near my palm. Well, it got on the palmrest of the computer and proceeded to eat a nice large hole into the palm rest. Fortunately, I realized what it was doing before it got all the way through and was able to wipe it off. But that compupter still has that eaten away area in the right palm rest :eek:

Bobcat37

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2004
Colorado
Ah much better responses this time, lol... I think the title helped.

If I get a 4G iPod I'll definitely be careful not to operate it with wet hands. And I'll make sure to never clean it with lysol, lol!

Also, I guess I won't be wearing it while doing laps in the pool, aw shucks ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.