Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
From Gizmodo. iPhone 4 no commitment prices are 16GB $599 & 32GB $699.

screen_shot_2010-06-07_at_4.36.02_pm.jpg

Carlos E

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
NYC
ATT Press Release

ATT Press Release

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863

AT&T to Offer iPhone 4 on June 24
Best Pricing Immediately Available to Any iPhone Customer Eligible for Upgrade in 2010 Preordering for iPhone 4 and New $99 iPhone 3GS 8GB Available June 15 at AT&T Retail and Online Stores

Dallas, Texas, June 07, 2010
ShareThis

AT&T*, the U.S. smartphone leader, today announced it will offer iPhone 4, the thinnest smartphone ever with all-new design, FaceTime video calling, Apple's stunning new Retina display, 5 megapixel camera and HD video recording. iPhone 4 will be available for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 16GB model and $299 for the 32GB model, in company retail stores and online at http://www.att.com/iphone, plus business channels, beginning June 24. Customers can preorder starting June 15.

To let current iPhone customers quickly upgrade to iPhone 4, AT&T will make its best pricing immediately available to any iPhone customer who would be upgrade eligible for a discounted device by the end of 2010.

“This is another very exciting day for AT&T customers,” said Ralph de la Vega, president and CEO, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “By teaming with Apple to deliver an extraordinary device over the nation’s fastest 3G network, we’re enabling our customers to access their favorite social networks and favorite business applications.”

“We know that people are eager to get iPhone 4, which is why we moved up the upgrade eligibility date for current iPhone customers by up to six months. This move, combined with the new wireless data plans we announced last week, will make it more affordable for more people to purchase an iPhone and enjoy the benefits of the mobile Internet.”

In addition, a new iPhone 3GS 8GB for $99 will also be available on June 24.

Pricing
iPhone 4 and the new iPhone 3GS 8GB will be available at a variety of attractive price points for customers:

DEVICE NEW EARLY UPGRADE NO COMMITMENT
iPhone 4 16GB $199 $399 $599
iPhone 4 32GB $299 $499 $699
iPhone 3GS (8GB) $99 $299 $499

All new and current iPhone customers who are upgrade eligible, plus existing customers who choose to upgrade early must agree to a two-year term commitment, and select an eligible voice and data plan for iPhone. No Commitment pricing does not require a two-year term commitment, but does require both voice and data service.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Are the "no commitment" phone factory unlocked? Doesn't AT&T sell 3GS's that are factory unlocked for around that price?

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
Nope, they're are NOT factory unlocked, tied to AT&T just like all other iPhones sold in the U.S.

hepike

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
without contract

Hy.

I am from hungary(my english is not so good) and I will spend 3 months in the USA (the whole summer). Btw, I really like the new iPhone 4, and I want to buy one. But I have a problem: I don't have an American address. So can I buy a new iPhone without 2 year contracts and with my Hungarian address(for 599$-699$) in any AT&T store?

Thanks!

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be cheaper to sign a contract and pay the ETF (vs. buying outright)?

$199/$299 Subsidized + $325 ETF= $524/$624

Marty Macfly

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be cheaper to sign a contract and pay the ETF (vs. buying outright)?

Plus the cost of the first month of service (because you don't own your phone until 30 days into the contract), plus the activation fee.

So add about $70 to that. That makes it $594/$694. No difference.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Are the "no commitment" phone factory unlocked? Doesn't AT&T sell 3GS's that are factory unlocked for around that price?

No.
No factory unlocked iphones sold in the US at all.
Its No commitment but still locked to AT&T.

Hy.

I am from hungary(my english is not so good) and I will spend 3 months in the USA (the whole summer). Btw, I really like the new iPhone 4, and I want to buy one. But I have a problem: I don't have an American address. So can I buy a new iPhone without 2 year contracts and with my Hungarian address(for 599$-699$) in any AT&T store?

Thanks!

Probably not.
They wont let you open an account unless you live in the US and have a social security number to do a credit check etc....
Buy a factory unlocked iphone 4 from Ebay or other sites online.
All US iphones are locked to AT&T so they wont work with your carrier in Hungary unless you hack it and jump thru many hoops.
So not as easy.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
Yeah but my ETF is only $175 on my 3GS. They only raised NEW ETF's. So why would I pay $599 for iPhone 4?

Apollo33

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007

Edit: Oh, you're right. That's silly. Especially considering that the ETF drops $10 each month.

I think the guy from Hungary wanted to know if he could get an unlocked phone... and the answer to that is NO. AT&T doesn't sell unlocked iPhones, and moreover they refuse to unlock them. (It's the only phone they do this for, claiming that they can do it because they have the exclusive contract with Apple... for the US)

However, I have a "dumb" phone which starts at $150 ETF (down recently from $175) which decreases by $4 each month... By the time the iPhone comes out, I'd just have to pay $110 ETF. It seems to me that $199+$110 sounds much better than $399.

omizzle

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Plus the cost of the first month of service (because you don't own your phone until 30 days into the contract), plus the activation fee.

So add about $70 to that. That makes it $594/$694. No difference.

Well I won't count what I pay monthly since I would pay that whether or not I upgraded

munnie mouse

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
ok so i'm a U.S resident with. a ss # and everything
but im in the Bahamas for a bit because i'm a citizen here
and i'm taking a break here before i start college.

i want to buy the iphone with no commitment,
but i want it unlocked to work over here in the Bahamas.

it can be unlocked correct?
and will it even work over here...
im sure it will it has gsm 1800 just like the other previous iphones
because people over here have the 3gs & iphone...

i just have to find someone to unlock it right...?

i think it can be done in Florida @ the Swap Shop...

hepike

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
No.
No factory unlocked iphones sold in the US at all.
Its No commitment but still locked to AT&T.

Probably not.
They wont let you open an account unless you live in the US and have a social security number to do a credit check etc....
Buy a factory unlocked iphone 4 from Ebay or other sites online.
All US iphones are locked to AT&T so they wont work with your carrier in Hungary unless you hack it and jump thru many hoops.
So not as easy.

Thank You,

I have a Social Security Number, becuse I used to work in the US.
I thaught to the ebay before. Just a little bit afraid of that. Is that enough safe? I have never used the ebay(we have an ebay like webpage: "vatera" and I use a lot). And how does the guarantee work.

And what happen, if I ask one of my co-worker to help me to buy an iPhone?
I don't care about carrier.

Summary:
Can I buy a new iPhone 4 without 2-year contract and with an American friend, in the AT&T store?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
If you want an officially unlocked iPhone 4, wait till July, and buy them from Hong Kong/Singapore, as iPhones in those countries are unlocked out of the box, even the subsidized/under contract ones.

ThugZilla

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2008
Since the AT&T fee for early termination is $150 for dumb phones, say if I buy an iPhone, put the sim in an unlocked Razr, and call them to say that I gave the phone to a friend, would the ETF lower to $150?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Since the AT&T fee for early termination is $150 for dumb phones, say if I buy an iPhone, put the sim in an unlocked Razr, and call them to say that I gave the phone to a friend, would the ETF lower to $150?

No because the whole point of the ETF is in case you break contract on the more expensive smart phone. so you only paid $299 for the iphone for example but AT&T paid Apple $599 so AT&T isn't going to just lower your ETF to $150 when they fronted $300 for you.

onqun

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
how are you going to buy it from HonkKong or Singapore ? Do they ship to us? Does it work with tmobile? Is there a difference between os's? if I connect my computer in us is it still okay, is it going to be still unlocked?

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
If you want an officially unlocked iPhone 4, wait till July, and buy them from Hong Kong/Singapore, as iPhones in those countries are unlocked out of the box, even the subsidized/under contract ones.

Wouldn't they charge MUCH higher prices?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

No, ETF won't change.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Well I won't count what I pay monthly since I would pay that whether or not I upgraded

The point is that you would have to pay for a full month of AT&T to get the iPhone and assuming that you want it unlocked so you can go to another carrier, you would then have to pay that monthly fee as well. So it would be iPhone + ETF + First month of AT&T + first month of new carrier.

If that is worth it to you, go ahead.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
About a no commitment iPhone 4...
If you bought an iPhone 4 without commitment could you still use Skype with just WiFi? I suppose you wouldn't be able to use the GSM service for VoIP unless you signed up with AT&T. So, don't they have a "Pay As You Go" plan for iPhone 4? Also, what about buying an iPhone 4 from say the Australian store when it's available over there? I think they might sell iPhones unlocked. Basically I'm trying to find out a way around AT&T while still being able to use the GSM service so I can eliminate monthly telephone bills. I have no problem paying for Skype calls as they are much more reasonable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.