Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its really a moot point isn't it. I mean people are going to buy the iPhone regardless of how much ram it will have.

Besides, the specific technical specification will be posted on apple.com either at time of pre-order (next week) or when its available. Either way you'll know the answer to your question shortly.

elephunkman

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2010
Boston
I'm fairly sure Walt Mossberg will get an early unit for review. But, we might have to wait until after the launch for the teardowns.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
guess i have to wait till the end of june. btw i wish it is 512mb to make safari not reloading the damn tabs again.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
speedy? yes it is very speedy, just like my iPad, but the lack of ram makes safari keeps reloading the tabs.

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
aleni said:
speedy? yes it is very speedy, just like my iPad, but the lack of ram makes safari keeps reloading the tabs.

Actually not true according to peeps who have installed ios4. Persistent state thing solves thAt.

mappyman

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
UK
If it had 512MB you can bet Steve would have presented it as x2 working RAM on his keynote speech presentation.

Sadly I think it has the same feeble 256MB as the 3GS. :(

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
Actually not true according to peeps who have installed ios4. Persistent state thing solves thAt.

holy crap! you are right! i just realized my 3GS with OS 4 GM fixed that. i tried opening 4 tabs, then switch to play ninja trees for couple of minutes, and switch to safari to check the 4 tabs, it's not reloading the tabs! this is awesome! thanks! i guess 256mb is plenty enough for the time being :D

djwindsor

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2009
that's it?

I know it's a smart phone but in this day and age 256mb is really barely adequate when taking into account what wil be coming down the pike in the next 18 months or so. I really don't know how the next chip will effect the phone's ability to load APPs but I am sure there is a marked improvement. Planned obsolesence aside, what is the reason for not making it 512k???

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I know it's a smart phone but in this day and age 256mb is really barely adequate when taking into account what wil be coming down the pike in the next 18 months or so. I really don't know how the next chip will effect the phone's ability to load APPs but I am sure there is a marked improvement. Planned obsolesence aside, what is the reason for not making it 512k???

Probably couldn't fit more ram chips in there or something it is "packed to the gills" or maybe it's a price issue. OR they wanted to save something for next year.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
It's the same as in the iPod Touch, the iPhone 3GS and the iPad: 256MB.

With the iPad, Apple set the stakes so low that they would look foolish if they released a smart phone now with more memory than the iPad.

I think most Android phones now come with 512 MB (and have been for a while).

Whoever said that it was moot - :D :D :D Of course, it's a moot. Everything is relative.

TheGodfather

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Belgium

The RAM is packaged on the A4 chip (PoP), so there is no simple or easy way to add more RAM. Also there is absolutely no need for more, because the way they implemented multitasking doesn't keep the apps in the background loaded in memory.

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
The RAM is packaged on the A4 chip (PoP), so there is no simple or easy way to add more RAM. Also there is absolutely no need for more, because the way they implemented multitasking doesn't keep the apps in the background loaded in memory.

This is an interesting topic. I've been wondering how the iPhone handles the storage and launch of various complex apps when it has only 256M of RAM. And I'm curious how Android phones handle the same issue.

The EVO has 512M of RAM, 512M of ROM, and 8GB miniSD (expandable to 32GB).

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
well I saw a graph yesterday from here or HOFO that showed it had 512

yes but no one knows. that is all speculative. they made that unknowingly. i honestly think apple has 800/256. they would have mentioned 1 ghz if true. it makes no sense for them to put 512 in iphone while leaving 256 in ipad.....

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
yes but no one knows. that is all speculative. they made that unknowingly. i honestly think apple has 800/256. they would have mentioned 1 ghz if true. it makes no sense for them to put 512 in iphone while leaving 256 in ipad.....

It really has sense to have more RAM. It is the first iDevice with multitasking, iMovie video recording and editing. I am sure iPad will be getting the same upgrades soon. It would be nice to have 512 MB, because in a year many apps will probably be using more RAM. With the higher resolution display, apps will get bigger.

Aren′t other phone makers putting more RAM as well, like 1GB? And I think that RAM is not expensive nowadays. I am not sure, I haven′t been buying it lately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.