Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I'm thinking about getting the batt replaced on my 2G iPod.... but I'm wondering if I'll get a newer one (preferably a 3G) or just the actual batt replaced. It says on Apple's site that you won't get the same iPod back, so I'm hoping that if I send it in for service I can get a 3G back. Anyone have any experience with this?

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I'd assume you'll be getting a 3G. Maybe if you wait a while longer you'll even get a 4G! maybe not. The only battery change i've every witnessed first hand was at smalldog electronics in waitsfield, vt when my buddy bought a replacement battery (it was around $30 for the battery self-installed). Maybe consider that if you're lookin for cheap?
good luck

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
While I have never swapped the battery myself in any generation iPod, I have read that is is very easy to do in the 1st and 2nd generation iPods. Check out ipodlounge for details on changing the battery, and for stores that sell them. It seems that this is something that is very simple to do, and costs far less than sending in your iPod to Apple.

As for getting a 3G ipod in return, don't hold your breath. I'm sure Apple has old iPods lying around to serve as replacements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.