Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want to see a 4.5 inch screen on the next iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 79 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 38.0%
  • I can't decide yet, let me spend some time with the HD2 or Evo 4G phones

Votes: 9 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

d.shorty1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
God I hope I get to say I told you so today, while preordering my new iPhone.

Doubtful though. :(

i feel your pain bro, im so tired of the "same old" iphone screen. With a new design in hardware i was really looking forward to NOT having them big a** black bezels...but, i think its all wishful thinking:rolleyes:

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
No, actually it wouldn't take any more power to power it.

What takes power is to light up the individual pixels.

A 3.5 inch screen and a 4 inch screen with a resolution of 960 x 640 would both have an identical number of pixels to light up.

Thus both screens would take nearly the same amount of power. It's the number of pixels (and the type of pixels: LCD vs OLED, OLED pixels are significantly more power efficent) that overwhelmingly determines power consumption, not the screen size.

So despite this prevalent myth, in fact, if the new iPhone offered up a 4 inch screen with a resolution of 960 x 640, it wouldn't take any more power than the current 3.5 inch screen with that same resolution. Going with this size however would give Apple the room to incorporate a bigger battery and thus actually would improve the battery life.

Your post makes no sense.

So you're saying the new iPhone display consumes 4 times as much power as the old one since it contains 4 times as many pixels? You're way off base here. The backlight is what lights up the pixels and you need a larger backlight to light up a larger screen.The act of twisting pixels on a display and maintaining them doesn't take much power at all. (Think of a digital watch with an LCD display lasting months on a small battery since it has no backlight)

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
That's not true.

My laptop 15.4 inch display with a higher resolution screen consumes more power than the display on the identical specced laptop with a lower resolution 15.4 inch display.

The number of pixels is a major factor in power consumption.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Maybe next summer or in 2012, but I don't think it'll happen in 2010.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Marty Macfly said:
Disguised... by shaving off a half-inch of screen. :rolleyes:

Somehow I don't buy that. :D Especially since they DID "shove" 960x640 into the 3.5 inch screen on the prototypes. Additionally, I would venture to say that the idea behind resolutions is that they're not noticeable, in that you're not supposed to be seeing pixels.

Apple doesn't care what Android does with phones. This is nothing but wishful thinking.

You bet your ass Apple cares what Android is doing. After using an EVO for a weekend, I'll never go back to a smartphone that doesn't have at least a 4 inch screen nor one that doesn't have free turn by turn navigation.

Next Tuesday

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2006
Orlando,FL
I would love for the new iphone to have a 4" screen. That would make things so much better. I love the EVO screen. But i dont see it happening.

AppleRules

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
The new iPhone will have a much better screen than that welfare phone those theives at HTC are trying to sell no matter how big it is.

skyehill

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
AppleRules said:
The new iPhone will have a much better screen than that welfare phone those theives at HTC are trying to sell no matter how big it is.

Ahh the fanboys have spoken.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Guess I was wrong. Damn shame. :mad:

Here's a feature I'm surprised Apple still hasn't implemented given their purchase of Siri.

Using Voice Controls to do everything on your phone.

I should be able to say, "Open iBook Winne the Pooh" and it should open that book.

Likewise, if you say "Check my email" it should open the email app and refresh it to get the latest emails.

If I say buy iPhone App Shazam, it should take me to the App Store to the Shazam app.

I hope this finds its way into iOS 5, alongside a 4.3 inch screen for the new iPhone.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Here's a feature I'm surprised Apple still hasn't implemented given their purchase of Siri.

Using Voice Controls to do everything on your phone.

I should be able to say, "Open iBook Winne the Pooh" and it should open that book.

Likewise, if you say "Check my email" it should open the email app and refresh it to get the latest emails.

If I say buy iPhone App Shazam, it should take me to the App Store to the Shazam app.

I hope this finds its way into iOS 5, alongside a 4.3 inch screen for the new iPhone.

theAKshiz

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Totally agree

A 4.3 screen option as well as a 3.5 would have been "iDeal". I'd be willing to bet good money (vs bad money) that a larger screen phone would outsel the 3.5 inch screen 3 to 1.

LMAO. Wow, sensative much? The numbers are there for any one to judge. 56% of the people here want a 4.5 inch screen, 38% do not. In otherwords, for every 4 people that don't want it, 6 people do. That's is a significant majority.

Don't take this so personally. Besides, this isn't a technology forum, it's an apple forum, all the real tech geeks and spec chasers are over at xdaforums and wouldn't buy an apple if their life depended on it.

What this forum has are the biggest most passionate apple customers and users, the users that not only buy apple products but go out and convince friends and family members to buy apple products. In short, this is a base of people that apple does care about, or at the very least should.

You act like only tech geeks enjoy watching videos on the iPhone, browsing the web on the iPhone, reading ebooks on the iPhone, reading maps on the iPhone, looking at and showing off pics on the iPhone, all tasks that are made substantially easier with a bigger screen. I am willing to bet that a general sample of all iPhone owners would show similar stats, with most wanting a bigger screen that makes these tasks easier and more pleasent.

In fact the bias on this forum if anything tilts the other way. Elderly people don't post here, but they do own a substantial number of iPhones. And they need and desire bigger screens that are easier to see and do tasks on more than anyone. The new Nintendo DS XL, the one with the massive screen, was marketed entirely to the elderly population that didn't just want but actually NEEDED a bigger screen. And it sold out faster than any other gaming device to date. So clearly a demand for this is there.

Like I said, apple has recently started to offer last years model of iPhone for sale alongside the current iPhone. There is no reason they wouldn't or could offer a slightly updated version of the 2010 iPhone HD with it's 3.5 inch screen for sale for that 38% while offering the 4.3-4.5 inch iPhone for the rest of use.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I don't think it'll be a 4.5", lol. Apple wouldn't make anything that BIG next year. I don't think it'll be 3.5" next year, though. It'll probably be bigger, but DEF. not 4.5". People are starting to forget the whole purpose of a cellphone. I'm sorry, but I don't want a HUGE screen next year. That 4.3" is absolutely HUGE that the Evo has.

theAKshiz

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2010
Yes To Bigger Screen!

With all the new media apps coming this yr and into next, it's ridiculous to watch all that on a 3.5 inch screen no matter how high the resolution. I'm a media guy and would much rather watch all that hi-res on a 4.whatever screen rather than a 3.5. At least sell two phones. One for the soon to be minority 3.5ers, and one for the rest of us. A 4.3in iPhone would outsell the 3.5 hands down. Why waste all that valuable iPhone space on those black bars on the side of the screen?

Alchematron

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2007
Maui Hawaii
I just can not believe Apple did not make the screen bigger

Its like oxygen, you gotta have it

I'm currently test driving the EVO

When I grab my 3gs, it feels so claustrophobic!

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
I don't think Apple will release a larger screen model (4 in. or so) until the next major hardware revision. Apple only does this about every 3 years, so don't expect it anytime soon. It's the same with Apple's other products: a complete hardware revision only happens about every 3 - the most recent one (besides iPhone 4) was the iMac.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
Oh, by the way: a 4.5 inch screen is WAY too big for a smartphone. I'd settle for maybe 4 inches at the most. If I seriously wanted something that big, I'd just go pick up my iPad.

wikoogle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
I don't think Apple will release a larger screen model (4 in. or so) until the next major hardware revision. Apple only does this about every 3 years, so don't expect it anytime soon. It's the same with Apple's other products: a complete hardware revision only happens about every 3 - the most recent one (besides iPhone 4) was the iMac.

That would be a foolish move on their part. Andriod is catching up with iOS at lightning speed.

If Apple waits that long to implement a bigger screen, by then, all the people that will want it will have switched over to Andriod and Apple will have lost a LOT of customers.

Why not just retain this design, but also offer a seperate design with a bigger screen next year for everyone that wants a bigger screen. They could even charge more for it.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Bigger screen only if the size, weight and one-handed operation doesn't suffer.

It's already a big chunk to carry in your pants pocket now.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
May 6, 2010
The United States
That would be a foolish move on their part. Andriod is catching up with iOS at lightning speed.

If Apple waits that long to implement a bigger screen, by then, all the people that will want it will have switched over to Andriod and Apple will have lost a LOT of customers.

Why not just retain this design, but also offer a seperate design with a bigger screen next year for everyone that wants a bigger screen. They could even charge more for it.
We're talking about hardware here, not the actual OS. Not so sure I agree with "lightening speed" either. Anyway, I'm not in any way against larger screens. I would like something a tiny bit larger as well (notice I don't want something that bulges out of my pocket, such as the Evo), compared to the current 3.5 inch size. If you really want to get the word out, go email Steve himself: sjobs@apple.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.