Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
My wife is an avid cyclist and goes out on 25-50 mile rides most days.
Some days when she runs late I get worried that she's been hit by a car and/or is laying in a ditch.

Is there a GPS/Tracking app that I can install on HER phone that will give ME something similar to a "Google Maps" display (on my iPhone) with the blinking blue dot as she progresses on her ride, so that if I start to worry about her safety, I can click on the app and see where she is on her ride and that she is still moving (and not lying in a ditch somewhere)?

Thanks.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
Some days when she runs late I get worried that she's been hit by a car and/or is laying in a ditch.

Is there a GPS/Tracking app that I can install on HER phone that will give ME something similar to a "Google Maps" display (on my iPhone) with the blinking blue dot as she progresses on her ride, so that if I start to worry about her safety, I can click on the app and see where she is on her ride and that she is still moving (and not lying in a ditch somewhere)?

Thanks.

An app can be created with the new multitasking APIs, you just have to wait a little longer to stalk her and see if she's cheating on you... :p

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
An app can be created with the new multitasking APIs, you just have to wait a little longer to stalk her and see if she's cheating on you... :p

Thousands of comedians out of work, and this guy's making jokes.

If I wanted to spy on her in that capacity, I'd just get something like Mobilespy or Flexispy...but I literally just want to see if she is still moving.

Besides, she wants this capability on her phone so that I don't call her mid-ride and screw up her rhythm and the song she's listening to.

Thanks for your concern, though.

AsianChexMix

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2009
Besides, she wants this capability on her phone so that I don't call her mid-ride and screw up her rhythm and the song she's listening to.

Why do I find that this being the reason is funny? Don't call her during her jam...hahaha. :D

Dan in PA

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Lehigh Valley, PA
What about Google Latitude? Forgive my ignorance - it's been almost a year since I've used iOS, so I'm not sure what capabilities Latitude has on the iPhone.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Why do I find that this being the reason is funny? Don't call her during her jam...hahaha. :D

If she were stepping out on me (and using "going for a ride" as an excuse to get out of the house), do you think she'd be so stupid as to ask me to put this app on her phone so I don't interrupt her rides, when all I'd have to do is see that her location hasn't moved in the 3 hours she's been "riding"?

When you're at the gym with your headphones on and are in the zone, do you like people coming up to you asking you questions, breaking your concentration, making that song you're enjoying take 6 minutes of start and stops? No. She gets in a zone, jams to her music and doesn't want to be bothered by the outside world until her workout is done.

Since she rides 25-50+ miles a day, and doesn't decide how far she's going until she gets on her bike, that means that she's on the road 2-3+ hours.
Instead of calling her around the 2.5 hour mark to make sure she's okay, only to find out that she's decided to ride 50++, it'd be much easier for both of us if I could just GPS/Google Map her location.

Man...everybody is a stalker/conspiracy theorist.
As I said, there are plenty of apps out there that I'm already aware of that will betray every piece of data about her, to me, via her iPhone.
If I had wanted that kind of app, I would have gone that route and not posted in this forum.
However, I did post in this forum because I have a legitimate need for a simple app, that my wife and I would both like on her phone.

So, having said that, if the Peanut Gallery would kindly refrain and let those with actual solutions (instead of innuendos and punchlines) chime in, that would be greatly appreciated.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Jailbreak and install the Google Latitude daemon. It's exactly what you want. You can set the update frequency.

jman995x

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Jailbreak and install the Google Latitude daemon. It's exactly what you want. You can set the update frequency.

Sorry,...still a n00b in some computer things...what is a "daemon" and how do I go about installing the Google Latitude daemon on the phone?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

Thanks.

Navimote

It's free and runs in the background. Once authorized, you can request any phone location via website. Doesn't hurt battery. Have had it running for months on both my and my wife's iPhone 3GS's

http://www.navizon.com/products_navimote.asp

Your post got me to wondering if it was still working as promised. Just tested both phones, got location via Navimote website for each within 5 seconds (each)

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Sorry,...still a n00b in some computer things...what is a "daemon" and how do I go about installing the Google Latitude daemon on the phone?

On second thought I would go with dhlizard's suggestion. Sounds better for your needs.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Was just about to suggest this. I think if you both sign up you can keep track of her as long as she allows it ;)

I don't think find my friends existed back in 2010 when this thread was made. I'm assuming if the OP didn't find another solution that worked back then they've started to use find my friends if they still have a need for it.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I don't think find my friends existed back in 2010 when this thread was made. I'm assuming if the OP didn't find another solution that worked back then they've started to use find my friends if they still have a need for it.

Didn't see it was 2010 since someone else dug it up.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Several of us on my Fire Dept use Google Latitude, IPhones and Androids both, no need to jailbreak. Hit a button and we see a map of where all the fire fighters are so you will have an idea of how much help we will have on a call.

It's free on the App Store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.