Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Hi,
So, everyone in my family is eligible for the iPhone 4 Upgrade. We want to upgrade my mom from the LG CU505 cell flip phone to the new iPhone 4 for her birthday. Now, she is very old-fashioned and doesn't keep up with new technology, nor likes learning how to use these new devices....

Say we took the chance: upgraded her line to the new iPhone 4, surprise her, and she doesn't like the phone.

Am I able to say, sell the phone and get her something else and remove the data plan from her line without any penalties? (but still, obviously be under the 2 year contract because we upgraded her phone)

Thanks!

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
AT&T requires a data plan for iPhones, be it the $15 200mb plan or the 2gb one, it's required by AT&T.

Karnivore

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Hi,
So, everyone in my family is eligible for the iPhone 4 Upgrade. We want to upgrade my mom from the LG CU505 cell flip phone to the new iPhone 4 for her birthday. Now, she is very old-fashioned and doesn't keep up with new technology, nor likes learning how to use these new devices....

Say we took the chance: upgraded her line to the new iPhone 4, surprise her, and she doesn't like the phone.

Am I able to say, sell the phone and get her something else and remove the data plan from her line without any penalties? (but still, obviously be under the 2 year contract because we upgraded her phone)

Thanks!
As luck would have it I just created a thread with a similar question. Until now you were allowed to cancel iPhone data plan at any time as long as you really switched to a different phone. I hope this policy stays the same.
AT&T requires a data plan for iPhones, be it the $15 200mb plan or the 2gb one, it's required by AT&T.

Reading comprehension FTMFW

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
As luck would have it I just created a thread with a similar question. Until now you were allowed to cancel iPhone data plan at any time as long as you really switched to a different phone. I hope this policy stays the same. Reading comprehension FTMFW

What he said!

Of course you don't HAVE to have the data plan on the account if you're not using an iPhone. How else would people be able to use another person's upgrade?

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2004
Thanks guys!
Exactly, if we were to decide to go back to her old phone (which doesn't remove data) and sell her new iPhone 4 (No, I am not returning it and paying a restocking fee!)

I hope we can remove the data plan still...but you know, its AT&T lol

Marlon177

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Called AT&T last night, i was told as long as you dont have the iPhone, the data plan can be removed, but i forgot to ask about the ETF or penalty tho, i guess i have to call again.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Thanks guys!
Exactly, if we were to decide to go back to her old phone (which doesn't remove data) and sell her new iPhone 4 (No, I am not returning it and paying a restocking fee!)
Buy it from Apple then.

Apple stopped charging restock fees on iPhones when AT&T started requiring Apple to open/activate purchased iPhones before the customer left the store.

If you return the phone, you'd be eligible to buy her a different AT&T phone at "full upgrade" pricing. If you sell the iPhone, you'd have to pay "full retail pricing" on any other phone from AT&T you buy her. Even those dumb-phones can be expensive at full retail pricing.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Hi,

Thanks!

Iphone has a return policy. However, you will be charged 10% restocking fee.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.