Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therealwildfire

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
im having the same problem too only on my iphone 3g, everything works perfectly but i cant put a background on my home screen.

gieppetto

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
Wtf

Why doesn't the 2nd gen get it though? I'm pretty sure a background image isn't too processor-intensive... Doesn't make too much sense to me. Could someone explain?

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX
My 3rd generation iPod touch can set a wallpaper on the home/lock screen from my photo library, but doesn't include Apple's wallpapers.

I'm running the GM of iOS 4.

By the way, I'm pretty sure all iPod touch and iPhone models will support this after upgrading to the public iOS 4 on June 21st.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
By the way, I'm pretty sure all iPod touch and iPhone models will support this after upgrading to the public iOS 4 on June 21st.
I doubt it. Pre-3GS/3rd gen touch, iDevices only had 128MB of RAM. I'm sure it's just a matter of Apple trying to conserve memory on the older devices.

sharp65

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
My 3rd generation iPod touch can set a wallpaper on the home/lock screen from my photo library, but doesn't include Apple's wallpapers.

I'm running the GM of iOS 4.

The only devices that support wallpapers are the iPhone 3GS and above and the iPod touch 3rd gen.

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
Why doesn't the 2nd gen get it though? I'm pretty sure a background image isn't too processor-intensive... Doesn't make too much sense to me. Could someone explain?

i hear the reason is because the image background uses the multitasking technology, which is not implemented in the 2nd gen iPod Touches...

i have a 2nd gen and i jailbroke it with redsn0w and enabled multitasking,,, they were right to keep it just for the 3rd gens because it's a battery hog.. cut my daily use to about 3.5 hours, though i do like my screen at half brightness.

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX
The only devices that support wallpapers are the iPhone 3GS and above and the iPod touch 3rd gen.

"Not all features are compatible with all devices. For example, multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support are available only with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the third-generation iPod touch (32GB and 64GB models from late 2009)."

Oh, I didn't expect that. It seems like any iOS device has the power to display a simple wallpaper...

Sorry about that.

LegendKillerUK

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
I enabled wallpapers on the 3G on the recent OS 4 GM build.

It performs so badly.

All UI transitions when entering and exiting an app are beyond laggy. Unlocking with the icons flying in is terrible aswell, not to mention if you set the lock screen and home screen to have different wallpaper. There's an animation on the wallpaper in this scenario and it's god awful.

Even swiping to a home screen full of icons was bad.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA

I jailbroke my 2nd-gen iPod touch running iOS 4 GM to get wallpapers. I really decreases performance actually.

All of the animations were very laggy.

rjenovai

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006

The 2nd gen iPod Touch has less memory, slower CPU and less powerful graphics than the 3rd gen. It's not just the background image, but all of the drop shadows, etc... that rely on the better specs of the 3rd gen+ devices.

rjenovai

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
If the 2nd gen ipod can't even display wallpaper what exactly will be the point of updating it?

Well, it's free
There's no noticeable drop off in performance
Updated mail client
Game Center
Other iOS 4 API's that developers can take advantage of

I'm sure there's others.

Mikeyguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
And Apple claims 100 new features in iOS 4. So since it doesn't support multitasking or wallpapers, then there's at least 98 new features.

No bluetooth keyboard too ;)

Wonder if iBooks will be available for 2nd gen devices also...

sM4llziE

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2010
The wallpaper takes is power hungry!

Multitasking is fine, the home screen wallpaper lags soo much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.