Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emkwan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2009
Hi guys

I brought an apple iPad official case with my iPad, and have been noticing it's been getting thin/looking damaged from wear on the side where it bends. Any body else noticed this? Any thoughts? Replacement?

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
Emkwan :D

Mines seems fine - for now. Its my fav iPad case so far. I'm drooling over the Incase Leather Book (as seen in the Apple store) but its 50 quid. Its beautiful though. You don't know how close I was in purchasing it yesterday, but somehow I walked out empty handed.

ceefax

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2010
or those ones that look like indiana jones' ipad case...$120 dollars...worth it.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Emkwan :D

Mines seems fine - for now. Its my fav iPad case so far. I'm drooling over the Incase Leather Book (as seen in the Apple store) but its 50 quid. Its beautiful though. You don't know how close I was in purchasing it yesterday, but somehow I walked out empty handed.

I looked at that one but went for a Piel Frama one from Cases.com - cheaper than Piel Frama direct - £86 delivered (in 3 business days from US) but very compact - much more so than the Incase one and beautifully made. Highly recomended.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I haven't noticed any issues with mine. Maybe it is a material defect? Could you still have it exchanged?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Mine is holding up pretty well, and I abuse the living crap out of it. I haven't seen a case that's as good AND thin as the Apple case.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006
The market of ipad cases is frustrating. Basically I want a case which is identical to apple's but with leather rather than the dirty-magnet neoprene-like material apple uses.

i don't want cases with elastic bands, magnets, flaps, and the like. or cases that hide the ambient light sensor or that let the ipad fall off.

just one exactly like apple's but in leather. anyone?

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I looked at that one but went for a Piel Frama one from Cases.com - cheaper than Piel Frama direct - £86 delivered (in 3 business days from US) but very compact - much more so than the Incase one and beautifully made. Highly recomended.

Those are really nice cases, and they almost sold me, until I saw that the billfold cases did not have any inner flap to hold the iPad in.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Those are really nice cases, and they almost sold me, until I saw that the billfold cases did not have any inner flap to hold the iPad in.

The iPad doesn't budge so it doesn't need a flap. The leather lining seems to make the device stick in the case. :D

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Hi guys

I brought an apple iPad official case with my iPad, and have been noticing it's been getting thin/looking damaged from wear on the side where it bends. Any body else noticed this? Any thoughts? Replacement?

I used the Apple iPad case from the day the iPad 3G was released to yesterday when my luxury case arrived.

Next to the leather case, the Apple case feels like flimsy cardboard. I honestly think it's only useful as a temporary case, like paper plates. For instance, the more you fold that cover back, notice how it doesn't close the same? It can only worsen.

I know it's cheap, but hopefully you can find more options at reasonable rates and not use Apple's as the primary case...or sell it. My .02.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
personally I have not found a case that is better than the Apple for durability, ability to withstand the day to day rigors of rugged use. Sure it gets dirty but it cleans up extraordinarily well. Micro fiber is a a very durable covering. I have has mine since launch day and it looks brand new and I have put this thing threw the motions.

The one complaint I do have is that when I go to the gym it dies not lay flat because of the flap notch on the back, no way around that, one has to fold it over which helps some.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
personally I have not found a case that is better than the Apple for durability, ability to withstand the day to day rigors of rugged use. Sure it gets dirty but it cleans up extraordinarily well. Micro fiber is a a very durable covering. I have has mine since launch day and it looks brand new and I have put this thing threw the motions.

The one complaint I do have is that when I go to the gym it dies not lay flat because of the flap notch on the back, no way around that, one has to fold it over which helps some.
The Apple case does not have a microfiber covering.

wodeh

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2007
Norwich
I popped into the local Apple store on launch day to take a look at the official case, the staff were kind enough to retrieve one for me and the first thing I said was something along the lines of "that's horrible."

They laughed in unspoken agreement.

The plastic shipping film that came wrapped around the iPad is more attractive, of better quality and more durable than the official Apple case, which is, quite simply, the most awful case I've laid hands on next to a couple of utterly generic, unbranded, cheap silicone abominations from GearZap.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I've been using the Apple case since the 3G launch day in the US. Mine still looks brand new and I use it a lot everyday.

I would try to get a replacement one since yours sounds defective.

Mine also cleans off very easily with just a quick wipe of my hand or at worst a damp cloth (non-paper material).

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
The plastic shipping film that came wrapped around the iPad is more attractive, of better quality and more durable than the official Apple case, which is, quite simply, the most awful case I've laid hands on next to a couple of utterly generic, unbranded, cheap silicone abominations from GearZap.

Let's not get crazy. If you think the case is ugly, that is your opinion and don't buy one. To say the case provides no protection is another. I find it has saved my device many times from getting damaged and it is very durable. It is also designed so well it really overcomes its bad looks. It's light, thin, durable, and does the job. That said, I have a $280 leather Vaja case on order, that has more style but I hope it is just as functional as the 40.00 apple case.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
As far as the OP is concerned, take the case back to the Apple Store, they will replace it if there is an issue with it although you don't really say it's damaged or ripped... you say "it's wearing thin"... and I don't understand what you mean by that.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I popped into the local Apple store on launch day to take a look at the official case, the staff were kind enough to retrieve one for me and the first thing I said was something along the lines of "that's horrible."

They laughed in unspoken agreement.

Your opinion is absolutely terrible. And yes, I realize the irony in that statement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.