Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
Why use vintage Mac computers?
I guess that should be a FAQ. :D There's been plenty of discussion in various threads about it:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/817328/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/815604/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/925274/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/898894/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/741253/

I like mine because they're all curious period pieces. They are a snapshot in time of the state of the art of user experience. (And, you can't read an 800k diskette without one.)

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Price. I remember drooling over the Tibooks and other wicked fast computers years ago. Now, I can actually afford to buy them and give em a shot. My 12" Powerbook for example is a computer I use every day. Its still plenty new enough to run modern software and costs far less than a 13" Macbook or an Air. For older PPC and 68k systems, its pure nostalgia. Its fun to go back and use older software and OS versions. If you didn't ever use use that stuff back when it was current, then you probably don't see the point.

czerc1

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Recently bought a Powernook G3 Lombard @ loaded it with Mac OS 9.2. It brought back so many college memories of late night essay writing. Luv it!

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Because I can, because I don't need to throw money on an Intel, because I like searching for the last compatible versions with the wayback machine...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I hate how disposable our electronics have become. I hate how people feel the need to chunk their old system and buy a brand new, slightly faster one every other year. I hate watching these perfectly functioning computers and gadgets end up sitting in someone's closet or garage for years, until they end up in a landfill. It truly sickens me.

I aim to be different, to make use of what many find unusable, to use what I already have until it no longer physically functions, and recycling them when they reach this point. There's something to be said about living frugally, and making your impact on this planet as little as possible. (in an environmental and consumer/business sense)

Plus, old stuff is wicked cool, and nostalgia is the icing on the cake.;)

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I mainly like it to play old games on. It is much more reliable than an emulator.

This is my main reason.

Although I'm about to help a friend clean up her circa-1998 PowerBook G3. After 14 years, and 8 years since its last OS upgrade, it's starting to get crufty.

I'm going to upgrade it to Tiger, the latest iTunes that works on it (she got a newish iPod nano, which requires a much newer version of iTunes than she has,) and add TenFourFox. Then I'll up the RAM (I have a spare stick lying around that'll work in it,) and add an AirPort Card (same.) This system hasn't been on the internet in forever, and she doesn't have a home internet connection, but she did express a desire to use her phone as a hotspot occasionally to do things on the computer rather than her phone.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Because they're just really cool and vintage equipment just makes me feel happy. My 512Ke can't do very much by modern standards but it looks great, is fun to mess about with and is a real piece of history. I didn't even have it for years, I just bought it on eBay a month ago, because I can :D

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
I have an iMac G3 which I use as a personal jukebox because it beats setting up my 5.1 speakers with the mass of wires which are needed to connect them together and the speakers in the iMac G3 are absolutely amazing!! :D

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
when I had my G4s, it was because i got them for free, but then i bought a MacBook Pro, i still used them, mostly because some of the apps i used were PPC only (such as TORCS) Also because it made a good place to make small backups.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Nostalgia.

I get a kick out of just going through all of the settings and included Apps in OS 8.6, for example. Just brings back memories!

Macc

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I not only love these vintage Macs, but i plan to developing on them. In the good old days, i've made many c64 assembly stuffs, like intros, demos, utilities, later i did the same on Amiga, GameBoy, and GameBoy advance. And now i feel the need of making someting on OS 7, and i will try to port some simple games, but with some graphic effecs never seen on these old mac, like (60/67 fps) smooth scrolling. So for me, these old machines are for fun, to remember the old days...

Katakefalos

macrumors newbie
Using Vintage Mac is like a Russian roulette.Nothing is stable and nothing is perfect. I love this. Risking everything while trying to install an app through 1.44 diskettes.
Our new and perfect computers have limited "toys" to play with.Never amaze me.Its only we need them to work.
The old ones are a whole different kind of thinking because there is this "thinking" factor.A whole different kind of joy that no modern computer can give to me.:apple::)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.