Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Up to now I've been doing 2 encodes of each of my rips using Handbrake, one with the Apple TV preset and one with the iPhone/iPod preset for mobile use. However, I'm getting tired of encoding everything twice (well, my Mac is getting tired of it actually) and managing 2 sets of files (I do know about the ID number trick to get iTunes do recognise the 2 files as 1 title, but I'd sooner save that for pairing files that are really HD and SD as iTunes does and up to now all my encodes are from DVD so are SD). The prospect of managing a third set of iPad-specific encodes isn't that appealing either. So, I'm thinking of just doing one encode of each title for use on all my devices (iPhone 3GS, iPad, Apple TV, Mac).

I know that the Apple Universal preset for HB is designed to fill this role, but at the cost of a bigger file size cf. the Apple TV preset. File size isn't really a massive concern, but I don't want to use more space than I actually need to for the sake of my mobile devices. So, my questions are:

• I'm fairly sure that all the devices listed above will play HB encodes done with the ATV preset: is that true?
  • Is there a different preset (or tweaks to the ATV preset, like Dynaflash's custom settings mentioned elsewhere on here) that would be a better choice?

[EDIT] One more thing I thought of: I've tended to use decomb (default) and detelecine (default) on all my encodes up to now. Worth it, or waste of time?

Thanks in advance for any input.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
Actually, I think the ipad and iphone have now surpassed the ATV in capability so the ATV is now the weak link in the chain!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
None of my Universal rios play on the appletv but they play on my iphone 3G, iPod touch 3G, nano 5G, iPad etc.

The appletv is DEFINITELY the weak link in the chain and it's damned annoying.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
None of my Universal rios play on the appletv but they play on my iphone 3G, iPod touch 3G, nano 5G, iPad etc.

The appletv is DEFINITELY the weak link in the chain and it's damned annoying.

My Universal rips all play on my AppleTV.

itsmefudge

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Middle of the Pacific
None of my universal encodes work on ATV, but all work on my iPad and 3GS. I don't want to re-encode them. I have changed over to encoding for ATV, to work on all devices.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
My Universal rips all play on my AppleTV.

Yeah I think it's a PAL thing. Our DVDs are all about 576p versus 480p.

They work fine on all the iPods, iPhones and iPads etc but must just have too many pixels for the appletv to handle.

They play fine even on a 3rd gen nano though. It's weird.

The appletv just plain refuses to play them, iTunes can even sync them across but they will not play back.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Yeah I think it's a PAL thing. Our DVDs are all about 576p versus 480p.

They work fine on all the iPods, iPhones and iPads etc but must just have too many pixels for the appletv to handle.

They play fine even on a 3rd gen nano though. It's weird.

The appletv just plain refuses to play them, iTunes can even sync them across but they will not play back.

Weird. My universal encodes play just fine on my ATV and I live in a PAL area. Here are the following facts:

1. 480p and 576p are both fine in any form, anamorphic, 24, 25, and 30 fps.
2. 720p at 25fps (PAL) is absolutely fine even though Apple says 24fps is the max at 720p
3. All encodes are HB's unmodified universal preset.
4. My ATV is the 160GB model with 3.0.2 software
5. My ATV is not modded or patched in any way

I have no idea what could cause your problems.

Joshua

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Weird. My universal encodes play just fine on my ATV and I live in a PAL area. Here are the following facts:

1. 480p and 576p are both fine in any form, anamorphic, 24, 25, and 30 fps.
2. 720p at 25fps (PAL) is absolutely fine even though Apple says 24fps is the max at 720p
3. All encodes are HB's unmodified universal preset.
4. My ATV is the 160GB model with 3.0.2 software
5. My ATV is not modded or patched in any way

I have no idea what could cause your problems.

Joshua

Yup, that's weird now.

All of mine are unmodified universal rips too. 40GB with 3.0.2 and unpatched. The movies sync but do not play, the progress bar appears but stays empty and black. The timer stays at 0:00.

Maybe time for yet another restore to factory settings.

Two of thes things now flakey as all hell. I'd hate to be relegated to hobby status at apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.