Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Hey,

I am having repeated and seemingly inconsistent (though currently consistently) problems with gmail saying my password is incorrect. It's not. I tried this with push, and then resorted back to imap (with gpush app) and it now won't accept my password with imap at all.

Gmail is not working with my iphone at all!

What is the problem here? in the past two months gmail and my iphone don't play together well at all anymore!

r.

dhjapple89

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
Waco, TX
Delete the Gmail account from your iPhone, then hold down the home button and power button till you see the Apple logo (this will cause a full restart of the phone, it will NOT erase anything).

Then add back the Gmail account and see if that works.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
Delete the Gmail account from your iPhone, then hold down the home button and power button till you see the Apple logo (this will cause a full restart of the phone, it will NOT erase anything).

Then add back the Gmail account and see if that works.

Thanks but no dice. Says incorrect password.

Is there a link where once types in the letters in a wonky image to make sure there are no bots?

Do i have to change my password?

r.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
i changed my gmail password in google accounts and still, no gmail to iphone.

r.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
and specifically, it says that my imap.gmail.com password is incorrect...

no help?

hmmmmm.

r.

siupilot

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
I had the same problem. Go to gmail on your computer and log in. You'll have to type in numbers in a box. Apparently there is some deal where they make you re-verify your account. After that, no further problems.

EvanLugh

macrumors 68000
Aug 29, 2007
Developer land
I had the same problem. Go to gmail on your computer and log in. You'll have to type in numbers in a box. Apparently there is some deal where they make you re-verify your account. After that, no further problems.

yup - i think they have some sort of spam/access control. This usually works for me (but it is still a nuisance.)

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I just ran into this same problem. I got my iPhone replaced. Did a restore from a backup to my new one and one particular gmail account refused to work.

I finally solved it by logging into gmail website.
Going to the settings.
DISABLING imap (as it was already enabled before).
Saving.
Going back to the settings.
ENABLING imap (very counter intuitive)
Saving.
Trying again on my iPhone and it worked!

It drove me crazy cause every site says you must enable imap, well wtf do you do if it's already enabled? Answer: disable it, then enable again lol

Mac in Black

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2009
Worked for me!

I just ran into this same problem. I got my iPhone replaced. Did a restore from a backup to my new one and one particular gmail account refused to work.

I finally solved it by logging into gmail website.
Going to the settings.
DISABLING imap (as it was already enabled before).
Saving.
Going back to the settings.
ENABLING imap (very counter intuitive)
Saving.
Trying again on my iPhone and it worked!

It drove me crazy cause every site says you must enable imap, well wtf do you do if it's already enabled? Answer: disable it, then enable again lol

This worked for me. I just logged into my Gmail account on my MacBook Pro, disabled IMAP, then re-enabled it. Then my Gmail acct started working again on my iPhone.

Thanks for the solution! :)

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Nothing is working for me.....I am getting the same error on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac Mail. This is making me crazy! I am really getting ready to just stop using gmail and just switch completely to me.com.

Seems like since google starting making crappy phones they stopped caring about everything else....google search is going to crap, now mail!!

Jigga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Nothing is working for me.....I am getting the same error on my iPhone, iPad, and Mac Mail. This is making me crazy! I am really getting ready to just stop using gmail and just switch completely to me.com.

Seems like since google starting making crappy phones they stopped caring about everything else....google search is going to crap, now mail!!
Try unlocking the account here:
https://www.google.com/accounts/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

That worked for me.

Sebastiaan76

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
this worked for me

Hi there,
my issue seemed to be a weak password. My ipad stopped working all of a sudden, and gave the incorrect password for imap.gmail.com error message.

I tried resetting it, deleting and re-creating the account etc ( i use a Google Apps account with my own domain btw ).

I logged into my google apps dashboard and went to the change email password section ( in plain gmail this is probably somewhere different ).

I then tried to change the password to the one i had, but changed 1 digit. It wouldn't allow it on the basis of a 'weak password'.

So I changed it to something a bit more complex, and hey presto, the ipad is working again now.

so if you've tried it all with no luck - then try the above.

cheers

brit878

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
2 step verification

I turned off 2 step verification and it worked fine for me after that.

mimosacymru

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
A fix

Hi there,

Google in the UK is migrating @googlemail.com email addresses to @gmail.com. This is voluntary.

But, if you're trying to set up an @gmail.com email account on your iPad, you need to log in via web and tick the box to migrate.

Otherwise, UK users need to set up an @googlemail.com account on their iPad.

Peace

WhoIsPaulAdams

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Solved!

I finally figured this out. I think Google defaults accounts to having a 2-Step password type system. It's crazy because it doesn't work well on the iPhone.

Here's what I did and it worked after I tried everything else in this thread:

Go to Gmail Settings
Click on the Accounts and Import tab
Under "Change Account Settings" click on "Other Google Account Settings."
Click on "Security" in the left column
Turn OFF "2-Step Verification."

This worked for me and hopefully will for you as well. I believe, once you have your gmail set up on your iOS device, you'll be able to turn 2-Step Verification again, but I haven't tried that. Not sure of the consequences for leaving it off. Use at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

supachicnic

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
iPhone Gmail fix

I have my Gmail as my default email on my iphone. I had the same problem where all of a sudden I couldn't access my emails anymore. It kept saying wrong passowrd or incorrect username, even though it was the same as usual and I hadn't changed anything.

The solution!!! While signed in to your Gmail on your computer click on the link below. Then click on the Continue button on this webpage.
https://accounts.google.com/UnlockCaptcha

It doesn't look like it's done anything but...
Then try downloading your emails on your phone again. It works! I don't know how, it just does.

loudpedal

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2012
It has to do with 2-step verification. You have to go into your security settings and authorize your iPhone to access your Gmail account. You have to access Gmail directly on the web, go to your account and go to security. Get a password for your iPhone and put into your mail setup. You have to do this because Mail can't request the additional verification from Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.