Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applecreep

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, I just started thinking about jailbreaking my iPad. I loved it on my iPhone 3GS, But what jail broken apps are cool exclusively for the iPad??

p-rice

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Las Vegas
For me:

-ability to set any 3rd party web browser as default
-multitask every app
-SBSettings
-password protect apps
-access to file system

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
SBSettings is a real frustration saver for me. As long as I've had my iPad, it's been hit or miss as to whether wifi will actually respond when I wake the iPad up. With SBSettings, I can quickly disconnect and reconnect wifi without leaving the app or screen I'm in.

FullForce forces iPhone apps to run native in full screen, which gets rid of the blurriness. Doesn't work with every app, but I use it for Facebook (huge improvement) and I was using it for Stanza till it came out with an iPad.

I like Backgrounder for making my frequently used apps open quicker. I wish one of the task switchers were updated for the iPad already--that would the icing on the backgrounding cake.

And i use Infinidock to get more icons into my dockand Poof to make Apple apps that I don't use (Mail, Notes, etc) disappear.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
SBSettings is a real frustration saver for me. As long as I've had my iPad, it's been hit or miss as to whether wifi will actually respond when I wake the iPad up. With SBSettings, I can quickly disconnect and reconnect wifi without leaving the app or screen I'm in.

FullForce forces iPhone apps to run native in full screen, which gets rid of the blurriness. Doesn't work with every app, but I use it for Facebook (huge improvement) and I was using it for Stanza till it came out with an iPad.

I like Backgrounder for making my frequently used apps open quicker. I wish one of the task switchers were updated for the iPad already--that would the icing on the backgrounding cake.

And i use Infinidock to get more icons into my dockand Poof to make Apple apps that I don't use (Mail, Notes, etc) disappear.

circuitous works great with the ipad

How do you set 3rd party browser as default?

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
The ProSwitcher beta is available on Cydia as well. Works pretty well. I think you have to add another repo to get it- there was a thread on it y/day in the Hacks forum.

EDIT: Add http://rpetri.ch/repo and the alpha HD version is in there.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
Winterboard themes
SBSettings
Multitask with Circuitous, Backgrounder
Catergories, I love me some Categories.

Those are the main ones for me.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Sbsettings, root access, ability to pirate over priced iPad apps, etc.

Over priced? Wow I'm sure you know NOTHING about development and the sheer amount of work it takes to make an app. Not to mention the expense of the software and hardware used to make an app, especially if its a game. I think your overpaid in whatever field you do. Does that give me the right to take money out of your bank account?

Maybe someone will steal something from you some day. If they do you better not get pissed since you steal from others.

cottoncake

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Over priced? Wow I'm sure you know NOTHING about development and the sheer amount of work it takes to make an app. Not to mention the expense of the software and hardware used to make an app, especially if its a game. I think your overpaid in whatever field you do. Does that give me the right to take money out of your bank account?

Maybe someone will steal something from you some day. If they do you better not get pissed since you steal from others.

Listen dude Im an app developer & I honesty couldn't care less who pays for my apps & who gets them for free. The fact that there getting used is what I want! Any publicity is good in my books.

Is it stealing? Not in my books :cool: would you call it stealing if you could make an exact copy of anything you touched? I don't think so. If someone came into my house and stole all my work then yes but I still have my work so Im not bothered

I honestly think that most of the feedback I get from my apps are from people who download them for free because these people tend to know what there talking about.

So just chill and enjoy the fact that people are using your apps :cool: :apple:

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Listen dude Im an app developer & I honesty couldn't care less who pays for my apps & who gets them for free. The fact that there getting used is what I want! Any publicity is good in my books.

Is it stealing? Not in my books :cool: would you call it stealing if you could make an exact copy of anything you touched? I don't think so. If someone came into my house and stole all my work then yes but I still have my work so Im not bothered

I honestly think that most of the feedback I get from my apps are from people who download them for free because these people tend to know what there talking about.

This, likely coming from someone who doesn't have kids to feed.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
This, likely coming from someone who doesn't have kids to feed.

You feed your kids by selling apps? Really? Come on, this field is what? 2 years old?! More over-dramatic reactions please LOL.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
You feed your kids by selling apps? Really? Come on, this field is what? 2 years old?! More over-dramatic reactions please LOL.

So all those apps are written by people who just do it as a "hobby"? And have "real jobs" that pay the bills?

Grow up. Good Apps take good developers, ones that didn't wake up 2 years ago and decide to code an app because it was the thing to do. They DO have bills to pay, and you wouldn't see many app choices if people weren't devoting time to their apps and trying to make a living at it...

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
cottoncake said:

Tell that to all the artists in the world. As long as people around the world enjoy their movie/music/pictures why bother getting paid at all? Everything should be free so that we don't have to pay for anything as long as everyone keeps the good spirit, right?

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
I don't believe in outright pirating apps. I do have a gray area however, and I use sites like apptrackr/appulous for what they were originally intended: to trial apps. You can flame me if you wish, but when I first got my iPad, I downloaded all the apps I put on my wish list in iTunes, loaded them up and tested them all out for that whole day. By the end of the day, I had discarded half my wish list and deleted the corresponding apps whilst purchasing the remaining apps I liked from my list.

I'm a college student, can't afford to blindly hand out money to apps without trialing them as I would on my Mac before buying. I am all for supporting devs, I do precisely that when I purchase the apps...the apps I don't, well, they get trashed from my iPad.

That's how I use "pirated" apps. I posted extensively in another thread about why some people do the above, and I'm perfectly fine with it. I have no problem paying for what I use and like, what I don't use and like, I simply remove it (as I would with a trial app on my Mac).

If Apple were to implement a trial system, letting you download the full feature app fro say a full 24 hours, that would be fantastic. You'd have an app for 24 hours, and at the end of that period, you would have the option to buy the app or remove it, somewhat like the renting movies system they have. Apple could use their servers to make sure you only trial the app once, meaning you can't remove it and retrial it again. From a consumer point of view, I would be ecstatic. Not sure how devs would feel about something like that.

That would be ideal, but it's never going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.