Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
if they ship both phones, they will just charge you full retail for the second one if you accept shipment. If you don't want the second one just don't accept shipment, they can't charge you.

I did that for the iphone 3g. paid full retail for a second phone and sold it on ebay for over $900. made a few bucks

So you ordered two subsidized phones, then when you only activated one they charged the remaining balance of the unsubsidized cost and went on with their business? Or was there more to it?

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
So you ordered two subsidized phones, then when you only activated one they charged the remaining balance of the unsubsidized cost and went on with their business? Or was there more to it?

I ordered one for pickup at an ATT store, then went and stood in line at apple. After I got the phone from apple the one arrived at the att store, when I went to pick it up they said I could buy it for full retail price, I think it was 599

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I just got off the phone with AT&T and I placed a order through there premier site at 1:30 pm central time yesterday and got a confirmation email and everything. I then checked my debit card for about 4 hours and nothing had come through so I got on apple's site and tried there and it also went through and I got the email and they have pulled the funds.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
I just got off the phone with AT&T and I placed a order through there premier site at 1:30 pm central time yesterday and got a confirmation email and everything. I then checked my debit card for about 4 hours and nothing had come through so I got on apple's site and tried there and it also went through and I got the email and they have pulled the funds. So when I spoke to the lady from AT&T today she said they have no way of knowing about your apple order until you go to activate it. She also could not find my order but if I go into the email they sent me and click the link to the premier site and enter my order # there is shows up and it's still says processing so basically she said to expect two phones on the 24th. But I better send 1 back or I would get charged full price for it.

i did the same thing and want to cancel the att one (i dont trust them to get it to me thursday) but their site says once an order has been placed you cant cancel it - you can only refuse delivery or send it back to them. how stupid is that? you've got all these people who want phones and i have one i don't want but att doesn't want to cancel my order.

Anthony T

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
He must have entered wrong information or something?

Yeah, I might have. I'm gonna still call them to see what went wrong, but I'm not keeping my order through AT&T. Hopefully that means someone else will get their phone on the 24th now lol.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I was told by an AT&T rep that in order for the order to complete you must receive an email from them and agree to it. THEN it is finalized.

I tried and tried through AT&T. Finally got through on their website and ordered one but I never received an email confirmation and when checking order status it didn't even show the order number. Kept saying no order so I ordered from Apple and got it for the upgrade price so I'm guessing AT&T just screwed up.

I'm going to call AT&T online ordering tomorrow and see if I can get it canceled.

Here's a little update. I got TWO emails from AT$T this morning. Funny. Here's what they said.

Keep in mind since I didn't receive a confirmation email from AT$T I order it from Apple with no problem.

"Thank you for choosing AT&T.

Unfortunately, we were either unable to verify the information you provided or you have exceeded the number of lines of service that we allow customers to purchase online. As a result, your order has been canceled."

This even after having the finalized sale page at AT$T.

So it worked out perfectly.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I just got off the phone with AT&T and I placed a order through there premier site at 1:30 pm central time yesterday and got a confirmation email and everything. I then checked my debit card for about 4 hours and nothing had come through so I got on apple's site and tried there and it also went through and I got the email and they have pulled the funds. So when I spoke to the lady from AT&T today she said they have no way of knowing about your apple order until you go to activate it. She also could not find my order but if I go into the email they sent me and click the link to the premier site and enter my order # there is shows up and it's still says processing so basically she said to expect two phones on the 24th. But I better send 1 back or I would get charged full price for it.

Good to know. As soon as I get one, I'll return the other. Thanks for the update!

Lopes

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003

Thanks! This seems to be the most plausible scenario for folks like us. I'll just return the at&t one in store to negate any hassles.

mode101

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
I actually have 3 orders...

2 from AT&T--no confirms...no way to track-- AT&T has no record...

Because there was no record of them, I ordered thru apple.

So I may have like 3 phones Thursday. 2 from AT&T and 1 from Apple.

Hopefully they won't all get canceled...
I can return them easily enough downstairs.

I'm in the same boat, except one of my AT&T orders was cancelled this morning by AT&T. They said I had conflicting updates to the same number. Hopefully my other AT&T order will be cancelled as well. I never received confirmation emails for either AT&T order, just an email saying that one was cancelled...

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I got my confirm email from Apple last night indicating a 24th delivery.

I never got an email from AT&T. This morning I checked my order status and it says 'in progress' I have also been charged now by both AT&T and Apple for the subsidized price.

I called AT&T this morning and the lady told me she couldn't get ahold. Of the e-commerce people to cancel the order but told me the # so I could contact them directly. I figure if I can do it by Friday I'll be ok, otherwise I'll take receipt of it and return it in person.

I bet it'll turn out that all the pre-orders were placed by half as many people who placed one order on each website (or even multiple).

AT&T's system for verification is obviously very flawed.

TapTapps

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Called AT&T Premier services and canceled both my orders through them. Have more faith in Apple for a timely delivery and don't want to deal with the potential headaches of receiving and having to return extra phones.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
What if you don't try and activate it and rip the SIM out of it? Think they will still try and charge you the full price?

Like another person said with amazon if you don't activate the phone in a timely fashion, they just charge you full price because they assume you are either going to sell it or use it on another carrier and so they have to recoup their subsidy somehow.

The $199 price is in leiu of agreeing to a two year contract which you 'sign' when you activate the phone. A non-activation or non-AT&T activation means you agree to pay full price.

nolesfan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
But if you got one phone from apple and the other from at&t, as long as you register your at&t iphone, they will not know about the apple iphone you also ordered.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Ok, for gits and shiggles, I went back to the Apple site to do a mock preorder for another iPhone 4. I've tried the numbers I used in the last preorder I made at Apple, and the preorder I made at AT&T. I'm still getting the fully subsidized price. Something's amiss, and I'm just hoping they aren't just taking my money now, only to tell me a few days before the 24th that something's screwed up and they decide to hold or cancel my order. I've read in another thread that AT&T just throws their hands up and cancels the order, which IMO is pretty messed up, considering how long some people have been trying to preorder online yesterday.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Ok, for gits and shiggles, I went back to the Apple site to do a mock preorder for another iPhone 4. I've tried the numbers I used in the last preorder I made at Apple, and the preorder I made at AT&T. I'm still getting the fully subsidized price. Something's amiss, and I'm just hoping they aren't just taking my money now, only to tell me a few days before the 24th that something's screwed up and they decide to hold or cancel my order. I've read in another thread that AT&T just throws their hands up and cancels the order, which IMO is pretty messed up, considering how long some people have been trying to preorder online yesterday.

I can STILL place orders on AT&T's website even tho I already have a preoder in place for June 24. It shows me eligble for an upgrade. So no surprise you cna still order from Apple.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005

IMO, all the more reason to keep both orders. What if your Apple order is a dud, and you've canceled your ATT order? What if your ATT order gets canceled for whatever reason and you've already canceled your Apple order?

Larsib

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
same thing happened to me too.. first I ordered from At&t, then Apple. both at upgrade price.. got a confirmation number from at&t, but no email. got a confirmation email from apple..
My girlfriend wants the phone too, but not eligble for upgrade until Jan 11.. say if I end up getting two phones and active one of them with her number, what do you think would happen?

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
IMO, all the more reason to keep both orders. What if your Apple order is a dud, and you've canceled your ATT order? What if your ATT order gets canceled for whatever reason and you've already canceled your Apple order?

Yeah that's what I'm doing. I spoke to the AT&T guys yesterday. I've got confirmation, emails and charged for both. If they both come through, I'll simply return one as the AT&T rep on the phone said I should do.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
They told me specifically, they don't communicate with each other, apple and at&t that is

I don't buy this at all. Doesn't AT&T have to pay a certain amount of money to Apple for every iphone they sell at a subsidized price? If you order a phone from Apple for $299, you don't think Apple is going to let AT&T know that AT&T owes them whatever the subsidy is? That's the whole point of the subsidies and the 2-year agreements.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Yeah that's what I'm doing. I spoke to the AT&T guys yesterday. I've got confirmation, emails and charged for both. If they both come through, I'll simply return one as the AT&T rep on the phone said I should do.

Did you tell them that you had duplicate orders? What did they say? No problem? I've got confirmation emails, charges, and order statuses for both as well.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
I don't buy this at all. Doesn't AT&T have to pay a certain amount of money to Apple for every iphone they sell at a subsidized price? If you order a phone from Apple for $299, you don't think Apple is going to let AT&T know that AT&T owes them whatever the subsidy is? That's the whole point of the subsidies and the 2-year agreements.

They will know once one is activated. I've talked to 2 different people who did the same thing last year with the 3GS. They both received BOTH phones, one guy refused shipment on one, the other guy actually told me he kept the second one and sold it for a profit (even after the subsidized price).

So, I'm assuming since this happened last year, it's going to happen to few people this year as well. Once one is activated, if you don't return one, they will charge you full unsubsidized price for the second.

Hope that helps.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Did you tell them that you had duplicate orders? What did they say? No problem? I've got confirmation emails, charges, and order statuses for both as well.

When I spoke to AT&T I told them I had placed two orders and have two charges from two different places. The guy sorta chuckled and said "most of the calls we're getting are bout orders getting cancelled, and yet you have too many, ha"

He then said I should probably get both, and that the best thing to do is refuse shipment if I can. It'll take time to get back and refund, but thats what will happen.

What I'm hoping to do is just get the AT&T one and keep that one and return the other one to the Apple store. That will be a lot easier imo then trying to return to the AT&T store.

We'll see if both of them ship soon enough.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
They will know once one is activated. I've talked to 2 different people who did the same thing last year with the 3GS. They both received BOTH phones, one guy refused shipment on one, the other guy actually told me he kept the second one and sold it for a profit (even after the subsidized price).

So, I'm assuming since this happened last year, it's going to happen to few people this year as well. Once one is activated, if you don't return one, they will charge you full unsubsidized price for the second.

Hope that helps.

That's what I figured. You're eventually going to be charged the unsubsidized price for the 2nd but I would think you could still sell it for a profit (at least I hope so). If I knew how much I'd be able to sell a 2nd one for I would probably do it but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. By the time I got a 2nd phone it would be like mid-July, and there's no telling what the market will be like by then.

rtabdo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
That's what I figured. You're eventually going to be charged the unsubsidized price for the 2nd but I would think you could still sell it for a profit (at least I hope so). If I knew how much I'd be able to sell a 2nd one for I would probably do it but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. By the time I got a 2nd phone it would be like mid-July, and there's no telling what the market will be like by then.

Exactly. If I see both have shipped, I'm going to look at going prices on Ebay and if I can make money (after subsidized) I'll sell it. If not, simple return will do.

With the delays getting worse, we may see the prices go up. Who knows though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.