Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DannyNguyener

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2010
The default Map app and Google Earth's new Ipad-fitted app.

What's the differerence between the two? Is google earth even worth keeping then since maps offers the exact same purpose?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
You're confused about the purpose of Google Earth. Google maps is faster for mapping. Google earth is for virtually flying around the world. You should try it out sometime.

Why didn't you just try them both out in the first place? Why waste cyberspace with another thread?

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
You're confused about the purpose of Google Earth. Google maps is faster for mapping. Google earth is for virtually flying around the world. You should try it out sometime.

Why didn't you just try them both out in the first place? Why waste cyberspace with another thread?

Why not. Isn't that the point of a discussion board? :rolleyes:

And Google Earth CAN be used for mapping. It's not just for "flying around the world".

- bring home kyron.

bazzaric

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
The most annoying feature is the lack of dropping pins in google earth. I like the fact I can plot where I have been, etc

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I take it i cant load any kml files onto google earth on the iPad?

Bummer, i had a great use for it! I even kicked a kid off their free time on the computer to do a sync hoping it would show up in iTunes to drop a file on. No go.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I take it i cant load any kml files onto google earth on the iPad?

You can't load a kml file directly but you can load it into Google Maps under your account. When you go to the Layers button and then to My Maps you can pull up your kml as an overlay (or multiple overlays). Of course, you need to have a data connection to the Internet to get to the information. It doesn't reside on the iPad.

I find this feature very useful. I recently set this up for our work iPads for a conference happening this week in D.C. The boss was thrilled to have such flexibility of showing data in different forms while on the road.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
You can't load a kml file directly but you can load it into Google Maps under your account. When you go to the Layers button and then to My Maps you can pull up your kml as an overlay (or multiple overlays). Of course, you need to have a data connection to the Internet to get to the information. It doesn't reside on the iPad.

I find this feature very useful. I recently set this up for our work iPads for a conference happening this week in D.C. The boss was thrilled to have such flexibility of showing data in different forms while on the road.

I found a link to try this, but it isn't doing what i thought it would. I guess i should load the things into GE on the computer and see what I'm looking at on there. Might change my expectations huh? Lol!

I also was trying the aeronautical charts one i found and it was crashing on me or just flat not working.

I'll be back to trying it after i get kids in bed, but I think I'm back to buying the PDFs of what i need.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I found a link to try this, but it isn't doing what i thought it would. I guess i should load the things into GE on the computer and see what I'm looking at on there. Might change my expectations huh? Lol!

What was it that you thought it would do? We're just using it for customer markers and we have different KML files for different categories so we can use one category or overlay more categories together.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
What was it that you thought it would do? We're just using it for customer markers and we have different KML files for different categories so we can use one category or overlay more categories together.

I need a custom grid overlaid. I thought it would have lines on the grid, and it just has a pin at the center of the square.

Here is where it is explained, if you care! lol! If you go far enough you can see what a gridded sectional looks like. Having it on a regular map though would just rock because sectionals are great for pilots, but not so much everyone else on a search.

http://cap-es.net/CAPGrids/CAP Grid Systems.htm

And I was downloading the klms from here:

http://www.sbcswolfpack.us/es.htm

Darn kid has her iPad syncing so I can't go try them in GE directly and see how they look. She saw them in class (by the pereson that does the above website) and said it was cool, so i'm thinking i should have more than a pin with info.

I know what i really want though.... A combo of the "Navigation Companion HD" app and the maps from http://capcharts.com/ , then regular maps. It would be fine to have to download the overlay's because you rarely need detailed in for for more than 4 grids at a time.

More than you wanted to know huh? :D
That would be the best of both worlds for me scanning in the back seat of the plane... I think!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Ok, got to play in GE with it and it looks betteer, more useable, but kinda not what i was hoping for.... Drat.

But loading the kml file in that way didn't get me the same thing on the ipad that i got the "real way".

Time will tell if I get more options to do what i want to later....

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
I need a custom grid overlaid. I thought it would have lines on the grid, and it just has a pin at the center of the square.

Here is where it is explained, if you care! lol! I

I'll take some time and look over that. So, you're CAP? I'm CGAUX. If we have a mission we are provided with a pre-planned plot from our nearest control Sector. Do you normally do your own (or try to)?

When I read over your material I'll be interested in seeing how your search plots differ from ours. We have five standard ways to perform a search and the Sector decides which one we will use.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'll take some time and look over that. So, you're CAP? I'm CGAUX. If we have a mission we are provided with a pre-planned plot from our nearest control Sector. Do you normally do your own (or try to)?

When I read over your material I'll be interested in seeing how your search plots differ from ours. We have five standard ways to perform a search and the Sector decides which one we will use.

Oh cool, you didn't say "you are nuts lady!". :cool:

My former squadron commander is also CGAUX. Its not working well for the squadron (hence my changing last week). Somehow missing one of our meetings a month is ok?? It was going to be bad enough when he took over, then add to it being gone 25%, well, just not so hot when he wasn't well liked to start with.

I haven't gone on a real mission yet, just training for Mission Scanner. I will get my Ground Team sorties in next month and then jump to the next level in the air. Everything in Florida Wing appears to go off the regular grid. We get told "reported something in the NW quadrant of JAX353D" and go from there. The IC told us what type of search to perform, but again because it was training I dont know how it relates to real world. I'm an hour from somewhere with a plane, the odds of me getting a real world air mission arn't good at the moment. But then again, as long as a pilot gets to my airport, I'm good to go!

I'm seeing there is a newer way of doing it that doesn't use the grids, but that isn't what we are using. Figures! I know the guy doing most of the planning for the DWH missions right now, he is getting coordinates and having to plot them to figure out where to fly crews out of, we all avoid him at 6pm when he gets that conference call.

Apparently topographical maps will help me out too. I think i need to decide how much money i want to sink into maps. The good part is at least there is 2 of us to share them. My daughter is fully ground team qualified until she turns 18 and can do ground team leader training. Me, i'd rather do all my searching from the plane! :D

But the biggie is finding a way to easily go back and forth between the air crew and the ground team, something CAP does more than anyone else. I just wish they weren't so stubborn and would put the vehicle numbers on the tops of the vans for us. White vans all look alike from the air!

Back to reading more about maps than I want to at the moment.

Noumenon

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Google Earth has terrain and renders 3D buildings (though not for the iPad for some reason). The Grand Canyon looks good on the iPad/Google Earth, you can pan and zoom in to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.