Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
Hey,
I just noticed something very strange: Since I updated to iOS 4.0 on my 3GS, my favorite radio app, tunein radio is behaving a little strangely.
When I press the home button while listening to the radio, the app will continue playing in the background, so far so good. But when I than launch the iPod app or any other app that plays audio, the TuneIn Radio app will obviously stop playing. But the problem is: Because the app has a pause functionality, it will not stop streaming but only stop playing the audio. The app will continue to download the stream in the background so that you can open the app back up and continue listening where you left off (which you usually can't on radio). So the app basically records the radio stream in the background.
When you are on WiFi, it's not a problem at all (except for the battery) but when your on 3G or EDGE (espacially on one of the new limited data plans) It will use up your data really fast.

Is there any way to disable this functionality? I know that it is possible to completely end the app using the multitasking bar but it's easy to forget...

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
The app will continue to download the stream in the background so that you can open the app back up and continue listening where you left off

I've noticed this too. I understand that when on the 3G network this can be a pain if you leave it on by mistake. Perhaps contact the developer and request an option to stop audio after being paused for 5 or 10 minutes? I'll probably do that myself, as I'd hate to have the app eat up my data usage.

I guess until such an update happens, we will have to open the app and press the stop button manually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.