Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I'm seriously not understanding why so many people are having performance issues with the 3g and iOS4. I'm not doubting you guys, but seriously, I've had 4.0 on my 3g since the GM was released and it's running probably 25% FASTER than 3.0 did.

I don't know what the trigger is, but yes the performance is horrible on mine (too many apps, too many mail accounts, the apps I run???) I've used every beta version released and it has improved, but even the final is dog slow.
Typing text and emails I get 5-7 words ahead of it without trying hard.

I'm getting a iPhone 4 Thursday, but plan on still using the 3G as a touch after. Then I'll back off the number of apps and mail accounts to see if that helps.

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
I'm seriously not understanding why so many people are having performance issues with the 3g and iOS4. I'm not doubting you guys, but seriously, I've had 4.0 on my 3g since the GM was released and it's running probably 25% FASTER than 3.0 did.

I noticed severe slow down at first. I did a hard reset (or whatever its called). Its been much quicker ever since. I suggest people try to reset the device.

Soliber

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Well on my Original iPhone who died several months ago, I could have it jailbroken, an have backrounder for multitasking, MMS to send photos, Video recording (was great in light, but was terrible in lower light locations) I had themes or I could stick with the default Apple springboard with a background. Being honest, multitasking was great. The phone took so log to open up iPod, Safari and messages, so I enabled them to run in the background, and they opened the millisecond I tapped on their icons.

Even with a background and backrounder for multitasking, tr battery still lasted a day and a half, and the animation wasn't anymore laggy as it had already need on stock firmware.

Apple should give 3G users things like BT keyboard and wallpaper. Fine with me, do add shadows to icons, but if I can get all the features from a 3GS on an Original iPhone, the hardware I capable enough.
Dude, from a mere YouTube video one can see how much faster a 3GS is than a 3G. The first gen iPhone does not even come in to play.
Good for you that you got your stuff working, but don't put it on par with the newer generations, because you're simply kidding yourself.

And I've seen it firsthand, jailbreaking and turning on wallpaper makes my 3G noticeably slower. So much so that I could care less about a wallpaper if that is the tradeoff. If it is indeed true that there are all sorts of reflections and shadows going on with Apple's implementation of a wallpaper, than yes, it will be to heavy for a 3G.
This in itself explains why Bosspaper never showed this kind of slowdown: Bosspaper doesn't show any special effects.

Plainly: I don't understand why so many people always need to scream murder and fire over stuff like this. First do your research, and then you can draw your conclusions -_-

MrPinkBlackrose

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Death Star
well...

I would be upset, but I ordered the iPhone 4 anyway so it doesn't matter and really...it's just wallpaper..not a make or break for me. I ordered from AT&T though, so I wonder if I'll be in the lucky few that get a day early delivery. FedEx not showing my tracking info. ugh.

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
$$$$$

recent mac mini pricing is another example and this is another bull.

if it is slow i will switch off the wallpaper, i cannot switch off which is not available...

this is where you fail to think like a business. maybe you would do that if it wasn't working right, but apple has to think about what "everyone" else would do. they have to support the device and product. you may switch it off, but what about all the others who call up apple and complain that they paid for something that apple said would work and it aint working the way apple said it would, and they want their money back or demand that apple do something to make it work.

the solution to this, is stop buying things that don't already do what you want them to, thinking that one of these days they eventually will.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I'm kind of wondering what all the extra 120Mhz of CPU speed of my 2nd Gen iPod Touch is doing over the 3G iPhone when it's just in the home screen if it can't be applied to displaying a small image file behind some animated icons... ?

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
To me this reads like if you want custom wall paper please buy latest hardware... hahahahaha...

SJ is worse than Fox News and CNN combined when it comes down to telling the truth...

Well guess what Steve - I won't be buying it and will stick with 3.1.3 and old hardware until it dies and then will most likely give my money to one of your competitors :)

Love you and leave you...

sschwar4

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2008
Chandler, AZ
The iOS releases remind me of the Microsoft OS releases.
iOS 1 -> Windows 2000
iOS 2 -> Windows XP
iOS 3 -> Vista
iOS 4 -> Windows 7
Each become bigger and better and required more hardware to support. Some features not available on older platform. Putting the new software on older hardware, just did not perform. The same holds true for the iPhone OS.

Have pre-ordered 4, but still don't know when AT&T will ship. I am certain it will be outdated, at least a year before the end of the contract and won't be able to run the new features of iOS 5.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
To me this reads like if you want custom wall paper please buy latest hardware... hahahahaha...

SJ is worse than Fox News and CNN combined when it comes down to telling the truth...

Well guess what Steve - I won't be buying it and will stick with 3.1.3 and old hardware until it dies and then will most likely give my money to one of your competitors :)

Love you and leave you...

Ugh, another person who feels entitled to upgrades. Why not show some self control? You purchased your 3G never knowing wallpapers would even be an option.

animenick65

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
iOS4 is working fantastic on my 3G. I can tell the phone is right at the brink of not being able to handle the new animations, so adding any additional overhead for drop shadows and reflections for the background could push it over the edge. Other than that, iOS4 is running snappier than ever on my 3G.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Or they could have just not given 3G owners iOS 4. Do you realize how many Android devices are still on 1.6 due to carriers not upgrading?

Then the haters would just have something else to complain about. "Where's iOS4 for my 3G product? Waaah! They're trying to force me to upgrade!"

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
What he doesn't want is prospective customers saying "Hey, is that an iPhone? Can I see that?" and then getting what amounts to a tech demo of a product with poor performance. Having no other basis for comparison, it may influence their future decision to buy an iPhone.

this is a macrumors forum. as a poster, you aren't allowed to take the perspective of a profitable business in here. be gone with you

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Read the comment thread here:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/review...able.ars?comments=1&start=40#comment-20535549

Apple adds drop shadows to all icons to make them look good when appearing over custom wallpapers. Rendering all of those drop shadows apparently makes the 3G stutter.

And Apple's implementation of wallpapers is FAR better than the old jailbreak solution. Depending on the color of the icons and text, they would often get lost in the wallpaper using the jailbreak method. With 4.0, I've yet to encounter a wallpaper where the icons and text don't stand out. It's a fantastic implementation of a long-requested feature.

wujonathan1994

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
I know....I know the raging crappy multi-task doesn't fit my I touch 2 GEN... but is it too much to ask a damn friggin wall background??:mad:

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
I noticed severe slow down at first. I did a hard reset (or whatever its called). Its been much quicker ever since. I suggest people try to reset the device.

I agree. I reset mine and it's as fast as it was with the previous OS (at least that I've noticed).

fltman

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
sweden
They aren't missing much, I find the screen a lot harder to read andd switched to the darkest wallpaper I could. Can't find an option for a plain black screen anywhere yet.

Same for me, I could not stand using any of the default wallpapers in iOS4 so I covered the lens with a black paper and took a photo of it and used it as a background and the wallpaper is back in black. Phew!

Seriously the only thing those wallpapers add to the phone is decreased readability.

dcmartinpc

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
What's the big deal here??? Microsoft did much the same thing with Windows Vista and 7 in regards to "Aero" You know, all the graphics enhancements and special effects for the individual windows... It only worked on fairly newer/powerful hardware. Windows 7 and Vista still worked, just minus some feature sets...

I just fail to see the big deal. I for 1 enjoy iOS 4 on my 3G, and I am sure I will enjoy it on my iPhone 4 when it arrives too!

DoctorClaw

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2010
iOS4 and lack of home screen wallpaper

I can't say that I disagree with Steve here. Having both an electrical engineering degree and a computer science degree leads me to have an appreciation for the internal working, operating system, while understand why things get slower. Keep in mind that the iPhone 3G only has 128mb RAM, the 3GS has 256mb, and the iPhone 4 has 512mb. As with continual increases in the amount of hardware these devices have (the 3G added A-GPS, the 3GS added a digital compass, etc) requires processing power and memory.

I noticed a performance decrease on my 3G when I upgraded to iPhone OS 3.0 (iOs3?), and again when I upgraded to iOS4 yesterday. I'm a little ticked off that they didn't add the support in for my 3G, but I'd rather have no support for pretty little pictures than a slow ass phone.

The reality of the situation is that we're increasingly trying to support more functions of a desktop in an ubiquitous form, while maintaining a compact size, and still keeping in touch with the fact that it's a phone. Can you imagine that piss poor press that Apple would receive if someone was trying to dial 911 and someone died as a result of a home screen wallpaper causing the phone to hang? Believe me... this phone is prone to freezing, as with any electronic device (You Google lovers can deny that your Android does that all you want -- I know you're full of it).

The solution? I'll probably upgrade to the iPhone 4... atleast they'll be selling unlocked phones in Canada right from Apple and I won't be stuck with Rogers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.