Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the first iPhone 4s being delivered today, Apple fans are anxious to learn more about the device as users begin to get their hands on it. One of the major new features in iPhone 4 is the rear camera's ability to shoot high-definition 720p video, and while some sample footage popped up in the Czech Republic last week, people are clamoring for more.

One user who received his iPhone 4 today has put together a blog post with some sample images and HD video shot with the new device.

165422-iphone_4_tree_shot.jpg

One of the videos taken by the user has been made available both on YouTube and in the raw video format, and we're mirroring the raw video here. [Link to Raw Video, 26.9 MB]

Article Link: First Images and HD Video Footage From iPhone 4

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
I want one (I live in Mexico so I'll have to wait for months!) =(

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Is that the best this guy could do for a "test video"?

Also, what's with the coffee/booze problem?

Talk about having the shakes.

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Please ask the uploader to upload a LANDSCAPE video, Showing off the quality both IN THE DARK and in the light

:D

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
Is that the best this guy could do for a "test video"?

Also, what's with the coffee/booze problem?

Talk about having the shakes.

hahah I noticed that.. Im like dude has some shaky hands.. I wish he had put a finger or something infront of the camera to capture some motions of something..

surflbc

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
iPhone 4 Reception

I have patiently waited to purchase an iPhone hoping and waiting that it would come to Verizon. I have waited for three years and quite frankly I am done waiting. My only concern has been the reception. I was curious if those that have already received their iPhone's have noticed an improvement in reception due to the antennas being moved to the exterior of the phone. Let me know.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
You know I would never post a video or pictures on here for others to see. You think you're doing some folks a favor by sharing but all you get is a bunch of complainers and whiners. The members of this group never fail to amaze me. Sometimes I think the average age must be about 16.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Resolution looks good in HD. The video seems to have a lot of frame stuttering. I don't think that's its the user. Looks like rolling shutter to an extent.

iMattcotv

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
am i the only one who thinks the video is very jumpy/stuttery?

No matter how high tech your cell phone is, the video taken will ALWAYS be jumpy/stuttery.

The small tiny sensors just cant work fast enough.

But the iPhone 4 isnt a SLR, its a cell phone, and it shoots suprisingly amazing videos and photos, atleast thats possible :)

aperture01

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Washington, DC
Ther quality looks pretty good. there is a bit of rolling shutter going on with the video but all in all it's pretty impressive.

The photo is overexposed (probably wasn't metered correctly with the tap to focus), however it is sharp. The grain seems under control to an extent (for a cell phone). Will be more than enough for most general photography in good conditions.

I honestly feel the camera and video are the two biggest features of the new device. I'll take much more pictures with it than ever with this level of quality.

DUNCVILLE

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2009
No matter how high tech your cell phone is, the video taken will ALWAYS be jumpy/stuttery.

The small tiny sensors just cant work fast enough.

But the iPhone 4 isnt a SLR, its a cell phone, and it shoots suprisingly amazing videos and photos, atleast thats possible :)

Fair enough, that makes sense. thanks for the info buddy!

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
The new iPhone looks like it has a lot of stabilizing software built in. Looks quite steady to me for an excited iPhone owner holding such a light thing.

it's really amazing that the phone in my pocket will have such better quality than the $800 video camera my dad filmed our vacations with throughout the 90s and 00s.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
am i the only one who thinks the video is very jumpy/stuttery?

Resolution looks good in HD. The video seems to have a lot of frame stuttering. I don't think that's its the user. Looks like rolling shutter to an extent.

What are your computers?

I saved that test file from a few days back and it jumped a bit on my work PC but played fine on my Mac Pro.

HD H.264 requires a fair bit of horsepower (or a dedicated decoding chip) to play back smoothly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.