Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vkramer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2008
When you activate the new iPhone 4 does it instantly deactivate your old iPhone?

Is the old phone usable afterwards, as in so I can wipe it and restore before i put it up on eBay?

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Your old iPhone is still usable. You paid for it, and it is your phone to do what you'd like with it.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
You won't be able to make calls with it, but it will operate in a WiFi hotspot as an iPod Touch.

- Steve

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
Your old iPhone is still usable. You paid for it, and it is your phone to do what you'd like with it.*

*as long as it's with AT&T

you can do anything you want with it, use it on another line or use it as an ipod touch - and sell it as such if you like.

Cameron38

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
Los Angeles
The SIM Card in your old phone will be deactivated. You can "unlock" your old phone and use it with any activated SIM card. I plan on taking mine with me to Thailand in July, get it unlocked, and use it with a local Thai SIM card.

hawk00eyed

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
The SIM Card in your old phone will be deactivated. You can "unlock" your old phone and use it with any activated SIM card. I plan on taking mine with me to Thailand in July, get it unlocked, and use it with a local Thai SIM card.

Is there any way to reactivate that SIM card from the old phone for use on a different line? Or do you have to get a brand new SIM card if you want to use the old iPhone on a different line?

quid squid

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles
Going to be giving my 3G to my girlfriend so she can use it for showing her film off (kinda like a portfolio). What exactly do I need to do to make sure it is still usable (without jailbreaking it) for wifi.

Does activating my new phone automatically do this? Will I still be able to connect the old phone to my computer for adding files without any problems?

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Is there any way to reactivate that SIM card from the old phone for use on a different line? Or do you have to get a brand new SIM card if you want to use the old iPhone on a different line?

New. A dead SIM is dead forever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.