Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

160352-counter_strike_source.jpg

Valve Software today issued an update to its popular Counter-Strike: Source game, bringing Mac OS X compatibility and a number of new features and fixes. To celebrate the release, Counter-Strike: Source is priced at $6.80, a 66% discount, until Friday.

Like other titles from Valve and third-party publishers on the company's Steam game distribution platform, Counter-Strike: Source is available under the Steam Play program, which allows users to play on multiple platforms while only being required to purchase the game once.

Valve has been releasing titles from its library at a regular rate over the past month or so, debuting Steam back in mid-May with Portal before releasing Half-Life 2 and its sequels in late May and Team Fortress 2 earlier this month.

While Mac users have been experiencing relatively stable releases through Steam, gameplay has been somewhat hampered by framerates below that of corresponding Windows releases. Valve has reported that it is working with Apple and graphics card companies NVIDIA and ATI to update drivers to improve performance. In addition, Valve has warned users that Mac OS X 10.6.4 has been causing performance issues for high-end games on Macs using NVIDIA graphics cards, and impacted users are encouraged to hold off from upgrading their operating system until the issues are addressed.

Article Link: Valve Releases 'Counter-Strike: Source' for Mac OS X

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
When will Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 hit? Next week with any luck. When they do, thats it for me, I'm formatting my Windows HDD and selling it all off (not the HDD) as components.

MathijsDelva

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
I got it free (bought it back in the days) but the steam servers are too busy to handle my request :)

sojiro

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
I really applaud Valve for working so hard to get apple, ati and nvidia to do some work on mac os x gaming.

Now, if EA would also release games next to windows...

Anyway, all steps are small, but Steam on Mac is a rather big step forward!

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I thought everyone stopped playing Source when Wolf3D came out. No?

Seriously, to me this fall under the category of "Why bother?"

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apparently you can download Windows only games on Steam even though you can't run them now. At least I didn't try it again until I bought Dues Ex: GOtY while on my iMac.

AppleRules

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
When will Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 hit? Next week with any luck. When they do, thats it for me, I'm formatting my Windows HDD and selling it all off (not the HDD) as components.

I'm guessing sometime after 2016, I'm starting to think this whole Steam for Mac is just a way for Valve to make money from old games. I'm not impressed so far to say the least.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I cannot find anywhere within STEAM store where it will tell me game ratings.
I have to go to IMDB to checkout the rating for the game to determine if it is
appropriate for my family. Can anybody point me to where it might be in
the STEAM store? Their tech support said it should be there, but a screenshot
would be great if somebody has found this.

Thanks!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
I have been playing Counter Strike: Source on my Dell laptop for YEARS. It's the only game I play really.

Yesterday, I bought a MacBook Pro 17inch. Could this have come at a better time or what? :D

Btw, I installed CS:S for the first time this morning in Windows Bootcamp, and I was pretty amazed at the FPS I was getting.

CS:S takes a lot more CPU power than GPU power, so the results should be well.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Good for the Mac gaming community. Although myself, since i start playing killzone 2 on the ps3 i cant touch another FPS game(whether on pc, mac, xbox, anything) without a feeling of steping back.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Will be nice once the bugs get worked out in the graphics cards and we can start seeing the same kind of performance window's users are getting.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
You guys who are slating Valve please be aware Valve are actually the good guys in the gaming industry, Who else is supporting Mac gaming?

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
This is awesome for Mac gamers. I played way too much of this game during college, don't think I'll start back up now ;). Fun game though if you're into FPSs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.