Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

162535-iphone_4_discoloration_1_500.jpg

Image from "elitemrp" in Apple discussion forums
A number of readers in our forum have discovered that their iPhone 4s arriving today are exhibiting areas of brown or yellow discoloration on the highly-touted Retina display. Users in Apple's own discussion forums are also beginning to notice the problem.

162535-iphone_4_discoloration_2.jpg

Image from "BlakeRx" in MacRumors forums
At least one user paid a visit to the Genius Bar at his local Apple retail store but was told that there are no replacement units available at the moment. Given the iPhone 4 shortages, it may be some time until affected users can obtain replacements.

The prevalence of the issue is unknown at this time, but there are a significant number of users reporting experiencing it on their phones.

Article Link: Some iPhone 4s Experiencing Display Discoloration?

KIRA

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2007
lol who buys apple products on launch date???

sukas...dats who.

i'll be waiting til next years version without any problems.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm sure they'd have noticed this at the factory which leads me to wonder if something in shipping is causing this.

Perhaps these screen are more sensitive to heat? Vibrations? Altitude?

Reactions: redbeard331

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
Uh-oh... here we go! This could turn out to be a major fiasco if it's not dealt with immediately. I wonder why these kind of problems don't appear during the testing phase. Perhaps they are in to big of a hurry to get it to market?

Reminds me of the Macbook staining issue years ago.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Yeah, I could say a lot about Apple and quality control these days, but instead I'll just say, "Damn, I would have never spotted that on an LCD screen the size of an iPhone, and maybe that just means I've got bad vision." Optimistically, maybe it also means the problem doesn't reproduce very well in photographs. Oh well...

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Great, now every first adopter will be biased into looking for anything that remotely resembles a screen defect, and they'll find one... whether it exists or not.

NOLA Mac Daddy

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2009
Discolored display

I really need to stop reading MR before I unwrap mine when I get home. I'm starting to feel like homer Simpson... Giddy one second and depressed the next... Giddy, Depressed, Giddy, Depressed...:D:(:D:(

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Just like my first 4 iMacs. I finally ended up with a Macbook pro because the yellow/brown was on all of the iMacs. All of them.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
My old iPhone had this. Waited a few months until the warrantee was about to expire and then brought it in. Replaced on the spot, new 1 year warrantee (that I needed when another problem developed with the replacement). Good way to get a new shiny one after yours gets all scratched up over time (if we are to believe Engadet).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.