Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamlife789

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2010
I wanna own Pulp Fiction. I wanna own the Dark Crystal. But they're not available on iTunes. I don't want to download them illegally. I want the cover art. I don't want to buy movie boxes and have to pop in the DVD disc or keep up with different movie boxes with packaging tape, indented covers, and paper covers. What can I do? When will this change? How will this end up for the movie aficionado?

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
What I do for my DVD rips is, first off I don't insert them into iTunes. I access them via Finder (Well, stacks in the dock to be exact) and each of my ripped movie files has the official cover art that iTunes uses.

Here's the catch though, I can only enjoy the covers up to 170px using my method. I type in the movie I want on iTunes, when it loads I secondary click and copy the URL to the movie and paste it into my browser which will load up a 170x113px version of the cover which works great for your standard icon view. Then I use Slipcover ( http://bohemiancoding.com/slipcover ) to make the icon just by dragging and dropping.

So yeah, my way gives me the actual art from iTunes and all the "Official" feel I think us Maccys get our jollies over but have to bite the bullet that I can only view them as large icons at best.

yancey47

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
I don't understand it either. If this new AppleTV rumor comes true, and becomes a success, maybe we'll see more options in the store. But for now, we're stuck.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
for dvd's I got to amazon, buy a used DVD, I have gotten some for 1cents plus shipping, then rip them with handbreak, add the meta data with meta x, then it is done.

njvan

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2009
You need to buy a PHYSICAL copy then.

Having a physical copy doesn't mean you own it either. It is still a license to view the content on that particular medium only. The only difference is the delivery.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Having a physical copy doesn't mean you own it either. It is still a license to view the content on that particular medium only. The only difference is the delivery.

contrary to downloads nobody can remotely wipe the video of my machine or block me from watching it via DRM.

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
for dvd's I got to amazon, buy a used DVD, I have gotten some for 1cents plus shipping, then rip them with handbreak, add the meta data with meta x, then it is done.

This is an excellent suggestion and I do it all the time. IMDB database has all the dvd cover art already sized in the right size for meta x. If you want to watch the encoded videos in itunes you still can, but you also will be able to use plex or vlc or other players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.