Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alakazzam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
MA
I've seen a few posts about this on phones that have been jailbroken, not sure if that was the cause or not so I'm sorry if this is a repeat post. Most of these posts were dated also at least a year old.

My phone, a 3gs, was charging fine yesterday when I went to bed, around 2am it started freaking out making that sound it makes when it starts charging/stops charging so I woke up looked at the phone to find it displaying the "Charging is not supported with this accessory" message.

I've tried other apple power cords. I've tried plugging into my computer, which causes it to fail to boot itunes and all out freezes forcing me to hard restart. I tried rebooting the iPhone. I still haven't tried restoring it yet, but from previous posts it seem like that didn't work.

I'm wondering if this is something wrong with my phone or if iOS 4 might be to blame. Anyone else have this problem and if so have you found a solution? I'm still on applecare for about a month so I may bring it in to apple to have them look at it. Just sucks it has to be iPhone 4 release day :(

alakazzam

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Try cleaning the dock connection with a small brush. Have you had water damage?

Okay I'll attempt cleaning the connection. It does look somewhat dusty. No water damage to my knowledge, at least not anything significant. Maybe a few rain drops or sweat but, I'm assuming, that wouldn't be enough.

At least it did get a full charge before this happened so I've still got about 89% battery life left. Hopefully I can figure something out.

autumnsong

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
Western North Carolina
My new iPhone 4 gives me that message when I connect it to my car stereo dock connector. It worked just fine on my older iPhone, but the new one won't charge. Any ideas if this is a bug or what? :confused:

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
My new iPhone 4 gives me that message when I connect it to my car stereo dock connector. It worked just fine on my older iPhone, but the new one won't charge. Any ideas if this is a bug or what? :confused:

What was your old iPhone? If you had the original, the reason it may have worked because it had support for charging via firewire. In the 3G and up, Apple removed the chip that allowed charging over firewire based connections.

redvers

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
London,UK
Iphone charging not supported...

Have recently had this message every time I wanted to access something. Have read other experiences and just to say that in my case was simply a problem of build-up of fluff/dust in phone connector socket (probably because I usually carry it around in my pocket). Solution: use a vacuum cleaner with a small nozzle attachment and carefully suck out the dust from the socket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.