Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonetester

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I received my iPhone 4 today & there has been no problems.. I wrapped my hands around the antenna & didn't lose one bar. I wrapped both my hands on each side & no bar was lost. I also did the same to my girls & nothing.. I have had GREAT service all day, and no drop calls.. Internet has been real fast, so I have nothing but positive things bout this phone. No yellow stains for me either...

Finally, something sensible. I am starting to believe of mass trolling especially from Gizmodo and Co. Antenna mess is so ridiculous, it makes me laugh - you do not even need a degree to know how a human body can become a drainer of a signal, so I am sure Apple engineers were aware of this. But remember those 3 slots everyone were confused about - they actually prevent antennas to become full circuit. It is just funny to see people ready to squeeze the hell out of iPhone to demonstrate how few bars drop. One video was just super:"...as we can see the bars are dropping, I hope". The OP HOPES the bars will drop. I think this is nuts. I have seen a guy in Apple store today, he was holding new iPhone, had 3G while I had Edge on my 3GS, he had no yellow spots and full signal! However, all these posts should make one aware of the possibility - I will check my out when picking it up tomorrow.

TouchMeHere

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2010
This is just in...

index.php

Russian President Comes to Rescue

Yesterday in California, Jobs met Medvedev, the Russian president. When asked about the launch of the highly anticipated Apple's new iPhone, he couldn't help but complain about the numerous incoming reports on the discolored Retina displays.

Medvedev suggested that taking a shot of vodka before using an iPhone would eliminate all the discolorations...

:D

While my display shows no sign of discolouration it is showing a slightly speckled pattern in the upper left corner about 1/3 of the way down. It looks like the screen is bleeding faint white spots. Anyone else encountered this? It was all going to well! Its nothing major but a slight disappointment on Apples art.

Naj

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Its there

Damn, i didnt think that this would be a problem. Ive got a yellow tinge in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, eek!

Attachments

• photo-3.JPG
    photo-3.JPG
    546.5 KB · Views: 123

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
No, you flipped it over in your brain. The battery takes up pretty much the whole right side of the thing, including the bottom right.

It's true that the battery does take up a lot of room, but the right bottom corner is the screen is the spot of the radio chip... And looking at the macrumors photographs the discoloration occurs in the bottom right side of the screen...

PtIlxiTtZvShThIL.medium

covertconvert

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Fareham, UK
Successfull iPhone 4 change

Hey all

I'm a regular viewer of these forums and just thought I would let you guys know that I had the screen discolouration issue with my brand new iPhone 4 (purchased from o2 this morning). I'm now in Apple Southampton and they are agreeing to change the phone for me! :) All the apple guys here were very surprised that the phone would be experiencing these issues.

Anyway, just thought I would share that incase it helps anyone in the same situation.

nicroma

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Midwest, USA
I think this is worth noting:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showpost.php?p=1659997&postcount=122

The yellow blotches will disappear
Apple is using a bonding agent called Organofunctional Silane Z-6011 to bond the layers of glass. Apparently, Apple (or more likely Foxconn) is shipping these products so quickly that the evaporation process is not complete. However, after one or two days of use, especially with the screen on, will complete the evaporation process and the yellow "blotches" will disappear.

How do I know? I was involved in pitching Z-6011 to Apple.

OnNightfall

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
I can see why people with it working don't feel like posting a video cause I really don't. Either take my word for it or just ignore me I don't care. But no issues here.

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I totally love this phone but I hadn't even gotten in my car this morning after leaving the apple store and I saw the screen discoloration but in the lower left hand corner for me

Blues003

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, it would be interesting to find anyone who had their phone delivered on the 22nd with a yellowing issue. I wonder if it has cleared up at all for them.

The link is this one http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=110802&page=4

A poster on the same page said:

"Looks like this issue is becoming pretty prevalent on Apple Support:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....art=0&tstart=0"

To which another one responded:

"Mmmm... overstating a bit?

I just checked the link, 9 hours after your post:

-- there were 58 total posts

-- near as I could tell there were 15 phones with a display blotch problem

-- some reported that the problem went away"

Can someone who had that yellowing issue talk about this?

iMaFanboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
West 14th Street NYC - Took 3 tries to get it right...

4 hours of waiting with a reservation - no big deal

1st iphone - vertical yellow band right where the slide to unlock pathway exists. Very hard to see in store.

Went back to 14th street, they got me a new phone - small yellow dot in the bottom right corner

stuck around this time for a third phone...

It was perfect!

I hope everyone who has the problem finds that it goes away over time but there's no way im chancing it.

very pleased with the lucky # 3.

gadgetgirlnyc

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
NYC
This is why I will wait.

Wow, well this is why I rather wait. The phone is so new nobody really knows what to expect. Once again Wow!! & of course no replacements until God knows when, due to shortage in units... I will be getting mine sometime in August or maybe even September..

macinhand

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Cheshire, UK
Sad Times

I have received my two iPhone 4's here in the UK bought direct from Apple and i can confirm both of these are effected by the yellow blobs on the screen! One of them has it in the bottom right corner the other has it in the bottom right corner and across the top of the screen :mad:

The yellow is noticeable on the home screen but it is more prevalent when you are using an app with a white background i.e text message etc!

Both the phones also suffer with the signal dropping when the metal band is touched and even looses connection!

I have spoken to Apple and they have advised me to return them for a full refund and wait for the situation to be resolved before purchasing again!

Only problem now is that i have a micro sim of which i can't put back into my 3GS so Apple have said use the iPhone 4 until i get a replacement sim to fit my 3GS :(

rangrbob

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I checked mine in store just to make sure. It was fine. After I synced it and got all my stuff put on it I noticed a yellow dot on the lower right screen. I also noticed the phone was very warm. As time has passed the yellow has diminished to the point that I don't know if I'm seeing it or not anymore.

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Got my iPhone replaced this morning at the Apple Store. No problems at all with the new one! In and out in under 45 minutes. :) What is so funny is they could not get Facetime to work on their network and were using customers MiFi connections to get it to function. Facetime doesn't impress me that much, working or not! Apple store employees were awesome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.