Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zinger314

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
On an iPhone 4.

I am rather annoyed that it looks OK on my phone and upside-down on my computer. Is there any easy way to fix this? All software that could do this on a PC doesn't like .mov files :(

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
On an iPhone 4.

I am rather annoyed that it looks OK on my phone and upside-down on my computer. Is there any easy way to fix this? All software that could do this on a PC doesn't like .mov files :(

This just happened to me today. I accidentally started to shoot the video on my iPhone 4 in portrait mode before rotating the phone to landscape.

You can fix the orientation in Quicktime Pro for Windows or Mac.

1. Copy the video to your computer.

2. Open video in Quicktime Pro (has to be Pro).

3. From the menu in QT Pro select Window-->Show Movie Properties

4. When the Movie Properties windows appears, select the video track, then click the Visual Settings tab.

5. On the Visual Settings tab there are button to change the videos orientation. So if you shot the video in portrait for example, select the "rotate counter-clockwise" button.

6. Exit Quicktime Pro and you should be prompted to save your file.

That's it!

ValenR

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2010
Sorry to necro this thread, but is there a way to "fix" this without using any software on PC/Mac ?

Like some tweak so that the iPhone itself "fixes".

djgulia

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
once the video is taken, no. but for future videos, you have to make sure you hold it with the record button on the right in landscape mode. I'm left-handed and I've made the mistake a few times. The odd thing is if I export the video to iMovie on my Macbook to edit it, it's upside down, but if I export it to iMovie on my iPhone, edit and then export to YouTube or whatever, it's fine.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Sorry to necro this thread, but is there a way to "fix" this without using any software on PC/Mac ?
Like some tweak so that the iPhone itself "fixes".

Yes, you hold it correctly the next time....

johnzaggat

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
Apple needs to fix the upside down movie issue

Carlanga - really what is the right way to hold the iPhone with it's "+" on the bottom. How many cameras in the market have their shutter button on the bottom of the camera. Let's face it, this was not thought well by Apple and hopefully in the next release they will give us an option to fix this. One of the most annoying issue with the iPhone camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.