Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkhunter139

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Can anyone recommend me a car charger for the iPhone 4. Ive had two for my 3gs and they both broke after a month or two.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Same here. Can anyone recommend a generic (but well-built) car charger to USB that works with the 3GS? I'd like to just grab one of the many iPhone sync cables I have plug it into my car. Not all USB adapters seem to work as I have one now that doesn't seem to give the iPhone the juice it needs.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I have one made by Griffin, I bought it back for my 3G and has worked for me ever since. They probably don't make the exact one I bought anymore, but I have always been happy with Griffin products in the past anyways.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
This is the only charger that managed to charge my iPhone 3GS while using GPS and listening to music, others I tried would just slow down the loss of battery. I won't have my iPhone 4 till tomorrow but I'm hoping it will work the same.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
HIGHLY recommended...

I've had this one for a year and it works like a charm. Well worth the $20 (give or take a couple of bucks) I spent on it. Note that the red ring you see on it changes color (red/orange/green) depending on the status of your charge.

3929.jpg

stphnman20

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I've had this one for a year and it works like a charm. Well worth the $20 (give or take a couple of bucks) I spent on it. Note that the red ring you see on it changes color (red/orange/green) depending on the status of your charge.

3929.jpg

I have that too! Bought it for my 3G!

LocoMoco

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
Iowa
Belkin Micro Auto Charger F8Z445

I like this. You should be able to use on of your iPhone sync cables.
Belkin Micro Auto Charger F8ZAA5

I bought one of these and use it with my iPhone and iPad. It works nicely for me.
Belkin Micro Auto Charger with Sync Cable F8Z446

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I have this and really like how it sits flush with the outlet. It charges my iPhone, iPod, and even my Jawbone Icon BT headset. It will not charge my iPad, but that was to be expected.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC

3929.jpg

That! Thats what I have, Lol. Works great for my iPhone 4 as well.

Petronas

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia

3929.jpg

That! Thats what I have, Lol. Works great for my iPhone 4 as well.

I just bought one of these on eBay. After doing some research one person on the Apple website says it doesn't work with his/her iPhone 4?

http://store.apple.com/us/question/...zEwMjc&pqid=Q74YFFHT924P99PDT94T4HX7UX7PXDDT9

Petronas

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I'm looking for a 'retractable' In-Car charger.

That way, there are no excess wires about when not in use.

Similar to this, but without the usb connector.

iphone_3g_retractable_sync_and_charger_99.jpg

EDIT: Just found this site that does in car chargers specifically for the iP4 :D

http://scosche.com/products/sfID1/210/sfID2/318

Can't see a retractable one on that site? Shout if you find one :)

EDIT: I see it lol (Though it doesn't say iPhone 4 compatible)

-MRB

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
UK
It looks too bulky for me though.

The picture I posted is almost exactly what I'm after.

Where the 12V socket is on my car, it's adjacent to the gearstick.

So anything too bulky, can get in the way when I change gear >_<

Edit:

EDIT: I see it lol (Though it doesn't say iPhone 4 compatible)

I followed a link from the home page, selecting the iP4.

a.jfred

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Austin, TX
I just bought one of these on eBay. After doing some research one person on the Apple website says it doesn't work with his/her iPhone 4?

http://store.apple.com/us/question/...zEwMjc&pqid=Q74YFFHT924P99PDT94T4HX7UX7PXDDT9

My Sony Clock Radio/Iphone/Ipod Charger occasionally says it doesn't work with my phone, but still charges my phone just fine. It all depends on how I connect it. Most of the time, I can disconnect it & reconnect it and it works just fine (including with the remote that goes with said Clock Radio).

I suppose YMMV, but I've had no problems.

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I bought a DC inverter at Wal-Mart, because none of the car chargers I had would charge my iPad. It has both AC-style outlets as well as a USB port and both of them work for charging.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I have the XtremeMac car charger. It's set up exactly like the wall charger/USB that comes with the phone, only in the form of a car charger. My family has five of these that we've had for over a year (two for me, one for my mom, one for my brother, & one for my dad), & they still work great. I bought them because I can replace it with any type of USB, since it comes in two pieces instead of one. Works with my iPod, Jawbone Icon, & iPhone.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/617474-REG/XtremeMac_00567_Incharge_Auto_Power_Adapter.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.