Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcoll89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
So i tried to Facetime my friends who also got the iphone 4 and i could hear them but they couldnt hear me. I called my other friend who has an iphone 3g and put mine on speaker mode and he couldnt hear me. WTF is goin on!? I tried resetting it but it didnt work. HELP!

Anthony82

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
Dissapointment

So i tried to Facetime my friends who also got the iphone 4 and i could hear them but they couldnt hear me. I called my other friend who has an iphone 3g and put mine on speaker mode and he couldnt hear me. WTF is goin on!? I tried resetting it but it didnt work. HELP!

I'm having the same problem. It's called faulty components and what happens when Apple tries to make units to fast. One thing I've learned about Apple, it's the quality control they have is horrible. Each unit should be tested for more then a few mins before they go shipping out. That would be the smart thing to do.

Soo now I have to go drive back to the Apple Store and exchange it, then look for other surprises that I'm sure I"ll find. Shame on you Apple this is the 4th time I've had a product with faulty parts, doesn't happen this much with other stuff that I buy.

Danbritton

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010

I have the same problem. When I record video it doesn't record audio either but i can record voice memos fine!
:confused:

jcoll89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I guess i'll give apple a call. you don't think they'll be too busy today do you? :/

mydream

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
I have the same problem. Voice memo works, but video recording generates no audio. I purchased from ATT, would Apple take care of it?

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I have the same problem. Voice memo works, but video recording generates no audio. I purchased from ATT, would Apple take care of it?

Exact same problem here. This tells me that it's not faulty hardware. If it were, Voice Memo wouldn't work either. I have a buddy who is having no issues with it.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Same exact problem here. No audio for video recordings or speaker phones, but voice memo, phone calls and work fine. Happening on one of the two 32GB iPhone 4's. Other one is fine.

jdusoccer12

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2008
Exact same problem here. This tells me that it's not faulty hardware. If it were, Voice Memo wouldn't work either. I have a buddy who is having no issues with it.

That is not true. Voice Memos uses the mic on the bottom next to the speaker but when you use speaker phone or record video it uses the new microphone in the top so it is probably the mic on the top that is bad.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Good point. I bought mine this morning at Best Buy. I'm hoping when they get more in stock I can go do an exchange.

metanoia

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
I have the same problem, Voice Recorder records a buzzing sound only... crap. Using the headphones to make a call works 100%.

Doing a full restore right now, so we'll see.

I don't want to have to wait for a replacement... and I can't go back to my 3gs because it uses a microsim... this is bad.

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
I have the same problem, Voice Recorder records a buzzing sound only... crap. Using the headphones to make a call works 100%.

Doing a full restore right now, so we'll see.

I don't want to have to wait for a replacement... and I can't go back to my 3gs because it uses a microsim... this is bad.

I'll tell you right now a restore did nothing for me. Either our phones have a top mic hardware problem or we need a software fix to make speakerphone/video recording use the bottom mic

metanoia

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
yeah no dice with the restore... apple store just said bring it in, but he failed to give me his name before hanging up. :p

nevesis

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Same problem here! Mic does not work on speakerphone calls, or video recording, but it works fine when speakerphone is off, or I make a voice memo!

I am assuming this is a software glitch, lets get some answers Apple!

crawfish963

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Texas
Same problem here! Mic does not work on speakerphone calls, or video recording, but it works fine when speakerphone is off, or I make a voice memo!

I am assuming this is a software glitch, lets get some answers Apple!

Thought I would post an update to my issue. I took my defective 32GB back to the Best Buy store I bought it from yesterday and was given a brand new one today. They had another 32GB customer that brought his back with problems as well. Don't know if it's just the 32GB or the 16s have the same trouble as well.

Of course I checked to make sure everything was working properly on this phone before walking out of the store. You guys might want to look into getting yours replaced.

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
My speaker does not work when talking to somone on the phone. Two people have called me and I put them on speaker and they just kept saying...

Hello, hello, hello!

It works fine with voice memo but not when narrating a video.

RangeMaster619

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Same problem

I've had the same problem. I just spoke to apple support and he said it sounded like a hardware issue and then made me an appointment at an apple store near me. I am a big fan of apple and always praise the iPhone but it's too bad that they are letting these bad products make it out for sale.

imisplacedmine

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
I was having the same issue. When using facetime, video recording, and speakerphone it would not record my audio and/or the other person could not hear me. Voice recorder interestingly enough recorded my voice, but none of the above did.

I took the phone into the apple store (The Domain, Austin, TX) and they tested it and brought out a brand new phone for me. I walked out 20 minutes later with a brand new working phone.

Just make a genius bar appointment and take it in, I was pleasantly surprised.

defenderoftheo

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2008
Oklahoma
:mad: I am having the same issues! Tried calling apple support but kept getting disconnected. Tried calling the store an no one answered. Guess I will just go by the store tomorrow and see what they say.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Went to the Apple Store tonight. First "Genius" claimed it was a software bug and I should "give it a few days to see if it fixes itself". :rolleyes: I asked to speak to his manager and 15 minutes later walked out with a replacement phone after proving the issue didn't happen on a phone on the sales floor. Not exactly the Apple service I was expecting.

Pmpman

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
My girlfriend also has the same problem as everyone else here is mentioning.

We went into an apple store to have it resolved as we have literally had the phone for 6 hours.

We had a pretty terrible experience with all of the apple representatives we had, between them telling us that they wont even look at the phone without an appointment, and that they "sold all the iPhone 4's" so they couldnt even replace ours if they wanted (obviously this was BS)

After 30 mins of poor service, complaining about not being able to even make a speakerphone call on a BRAND new phone, we finally got them to bring out a technician whom immediately duplicated the problem and was happy to get us a replacement phone (he was excellent).

I should also mention that one of the Apple associates jumped into one of my conversations with another associate just to mention that I was wrong and the mic on top was used for nothing but noise cancelation. I work in retail, and its one thing to provide someone a spotty (my experience was terrible) service experience. However, to call me a liar when you are pretty blatantly wrong is a very very poor use of judgement.

Long story short, up to this point, none of the apple associates had heard of this problem, and just may give you a fight. Don't take any crap and make sure they replace your phone. Good luck, hope everyone has their problems resolved!

owen22

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Hmm... not sure if I'm having this issue too.

When I record video there's no sound (thought it was a setting I hadn't activated at first) but speaker-phone seems to work fine... any ideas???

I really don't want to make a wasted journey to my nearest Apple store if it's not a hardware issue.

Also, if they do replace my phone, any one any idea what they'll do (if anything!) about the InvisiShield protection I've put on it. Paying for a new InvisiShield 48hrs after I bought one shouldn't be my responsibility if it's Apple's faulty hardware... should it???

Freis968

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2007
Ocoee, Florida
I called AppleCare yesterday, they told me to take my phone to the Apple Store, bought mine there by the way. They made a 5:00pm Sunday appointment for me. The Apple genius took my phone today, looked at the bottom mic with some weird instrument, took it into the back room and emerged with a small black box...a replacement box..not a regular iPhone box. He broke the seals, took my sim card out put it into the new iPhone and now the mic works perfectly!

ArseneLupin3

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I'm getting some recording volume, but not much. There is a lot of hiss/buzz, but the overall recording volume is probably -30db or so. I was recording table shuffleboard and you can barely hear the slidey things bump into each other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.