Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
So i love this case, i really do. I put it on my new iphone and i think to myself it is just perfect. Tight fit, beautiful aesthetics, the total package.

So i get in my 2010 BMW, and go to plug in the car adaptor that lets me charge and play the phone's music, and the connector won't attach to the phone thru the bumper! This renders the case useless to me unfortunately. Also, my Shure headphones do not fit in the headphone port.

I love the case, but I am surprised that Apple did not take into account third party accessories when designing this thing.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I'm intelligent enough to understand that I think.

The point here, which I think is clear, is that there are going to be alot of existing 3rd party chargers and connecters, some of which are provided with new car purchases, which are simply not going to work with this accessory. And that I am surprised that Apple did not design the Bumper with a little extra space to to accommodate the existing chargers, etc. It's simply not very likely that car manufacturers are going to redesign their connectors over a CASE anytime soon.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
So i love this case, i really do. I put it on my new iphone and i think to myself it is just perfect. Tight fit, beautiful aesthetics, the total package.

So i get in my 2010 BMW, and go to plug in the car adaptor that lets me charge and play the phone's music, and the connector won't attach to the phone thru the bumper! This renders the case useless to me unfortunately. Also, my Shure headphones do not fit in the headphone port.

I love the case, but I am surprised that Apple did not take into account third party accessories when designing this thing.

Well, you have a few options.

You can buy adapters for the headphones and the BMW 30-pin or you can buy a 3rd party accessory case to work for your current accessories.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Well, you have a few options.

You can buy adapters for the headphones and the BMW 30-pin or you can buy a 3rd party accessory case to work for your current accessories.

Do they make such an adaptor? That would be great, but I have never heard of such a thing. Links?

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Do they make such an adaptor? That would be great, but I have never heard of such a thing. Links?

Not a problem. I'll find them and post them here. The adapter is more or less a "mini" extension cable with the OEM Apple connector style... making it able to fit. :)

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008

quid squid

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2008
los angeles

I am having the same problem, but with the Griffin Car Charger that I have been using from my 3G. Fits fine in the iPhone without the bumper, but will not charge with the bumper on. I am skeptical about the links for the dock extender because those are made for previous generations of the phone and not the 4. Unless the plastic is small enough or the actual connectors come out far enough they will not fit. Wish the bumper would have been designed with a little more opening or bevel to fit existing chargers.

mbhforum

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
FWIW, I can confirm the Belkin Grip Vue works with my 328xi BMW Y cable in center console.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
It's a shame Apple didn't consider these things when designing it. It does look nice. I'd get white but no way with the fact it won't charge with car charger. I knew my Grado headphones adapter wouldn't fit but figured the only time I use those headphones is when I'm relaxing so I figured I'd just take the case off. But don't want to have to take it off to charge. I've done that with a case I had for the 3G. Lasted 2 days. It's was too annoying to keep taking it off.

rhaleuk

macrumors member
May 23, 2007

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
Cases are usually at odds with other accessories unfortunately. I would like to see some more designs come out that recognised that people need to charge their products or hook them up to other accessories regularly.

Agreed. I am particularly surprised that Apple did not consider a design that at least allowed their older 30 pin connectors to work with this case. The only connector that will work are the newer ones. My old cable definitely does not work.

I ordered this product, which I thought would work, but I canceled the order b/c I know now that it will not fit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002X9GR76/ref=oss_product

I was wondering if the adopter in the link below as mentioned would work as it seems to have a smaller form factor. Unfortunately, none of these products seem to be available in stores and must be ordered.

http://sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

So the search continues for a 30 pin adaptor that will fit this case.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
OP - dont you have a usb? Instead of using iphone. I have a 32gb usb and load all my music and the sound is much better than iphone.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
OP - dont you have a usb? Instead of using iphone. I have a 32gb usb and load all my music and the sound is much better than iphone.

Good question. On my BMW they use a Y connector which has a usb and 1/8" jack on one end for plugging into the car and a 30 pin connector on the other end for plugging into the iphone/ipod, etc. In the car, there are separate USB/audio jacks, but if you are plugged into only the USB port, the phone will charge but not be recognized by the system and play. And if you are plugged into only the audio jack(thru the headphone port on the iphone), the music also will not play.

So it's kind of crazy that on this car, you must you BMW's proprietary Y cable to access and play your music, but the plug unfortunately is much wider than the newer iphone/ipod plugs(30 pin connector) and thus will not fit into the bumper case.

Again, the Bumper is amazing with this one exception for me, and if I can find an adapter, it would be perfect.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
So just a quick update:

I received the Pro Cable Dock Extender yesterday from My Gear Store. It will not connect to the ip4 in the bumper b/c it is the old style 30 pin connecter. So the option now will be either to file it down to fit, which I do not want to do, or return it.

Right now there just do not seem to be any other options.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
docal....another option is to buy a new OEM Apple charging cord and have any decent electrician cut the old 30 pin connector off the car and replace it with the OEM 30 pin connector.....its a very simple splice job, a decent electric guy could do it pretty perfectly.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I have considered that. But the BMW cable costs about 65 dollars and I was a bit afraid to mess with it. But I would agree, a good electrician could do it no trouble.

I am just so surprised that there is not a 3rd party vender that has come out with a good extender cable with the new pin connector.

drknowusa

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Pending the proper snap-in adapter becoming available, my solution is to take the bumper off when I connect the iPhone4 I'm my new 550GT. I then slide the phone into a slip case "upside down" and drive. My dealer " thinks" the adapter will be forthcoming in a month or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.