Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwire4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I just wanted to share my ongoing story with you. Take this into mind if you are planning on ordering a CTO Mac Pro from the Apple Online Store. I really would like to here what your thoughts and opions are on the subject. Does this hint to a new Mac Pro, or is this just a mess of on Apple's part? Or is this something totaly diffrent? Let me know.

I've waited very long, saving my money for the ultimate video editing rig. I finally was able to collect the money, and being it after WWDC, I gave my self the green light to order an 8 core Mac Pro. Now I know there have been rumors of a refresh for a while now, but at this point, I need the computer and I am not going to wait any longer. So, on Friday June 18th, I took the plunge and ordered the Mac Pro.

Now things started off bad in the beging. Before I did anything, I called the credit card compnay to inform them on a large purchase I would be making. They confirmed it and I ordered the machine. Now I understand, CTO is CTO and I also understand I did spec the machine out quite a bit, but keep in mind, it shouldn't take a week. Here's my configuration. Ships in 2-4 buisness days. Delivers between June 23rd-June29th

Two 2.26GHz Quad-Core Intel Xe
16GB (8x2GB)
2x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/
Two 18x SuperDrives
AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi Card
FINAL CUT EXPRESS.
Apple Magic Mouse
WL KYBRD + USERS GUIDE
Country Kit Mac Pro

Alright, this shouldn't be anything new. I figured this should be a fast process. I was wrong. The first thing that happened was my credit card being rejected. Not a big deal. They called me, we got the issue taken care of. And instead of the order going in at 1pm it went in at around 3. So I also ended up ordering Apple Care and a Free iPod Touch 8GB. The Apple Care order was complete, iPod Touch Shipped same day, but the Mac Pro was "Not Yet Shipped"

On a side not, I did order through the Apple Education Store.

The weekend went by, everything was fine until around Mid Monday. You might have seen my previous thread, where I was explained that that Monday was the first actual Buisness Day Alright, No worries. Around 8:30am, FedEx comes to deliver the iPod Touch. Great! But still my Mac Pro is "Not Yet Shipped". I attempted to call Apple, but because of the iPhone 4, I hung up at about 25 min on hold.

Now things didn't start to go anyplace until Wednsday. It is now Day 3 of 4, and still not yet shipped. The 1-800-MY-APPLE robot tells me it is being "processed". Now I was almost certain that Apple would at least have it pre-pared for Shipment. Nope. So I give them a call. After 25min on hold, the Rep tells me the info I already know (2-4 business day delivery, est delivery dates) and he says that the order went through fine. I wait and wait. I finally call up around 5 or so, and I explain that my order is still showing: Not Yet Shipped. He assures me it will ship, and even gives me free expedited 2 business day shipping. That kept me good, for a while.

I then called today. Day 4 of 4. Again I understand these orders take time, but when Apple says 2-business days, I expect 2-4 business days. So I decided to call again. This time I had to wait because of the high call volume. I call back getting a rep, hurrying me along, assuring me that the Mac Pro will ship today. Alright whatever. I then call a little later, and I get a rep who again sees my order is still: Not Yet Shipped. He at this point sounds a bit confused. He goes to offer me expiduted shipping, but sees I already have it. He sounds confused. He says he doesn't know why it hasen't shipped, but told it me it shoild ship off later today.

7 o'clock rolls around, and my order status has not changed for days. I then call again, 30 min on hold, and get another rep. I explain to her it says 2-4 buisness days, I have gotten no delayed notifcations, and nothing to indicate there is a problem with the order. She then says it should ship tomorrow. Wait that would be a week. You claimed 2-4 business days, you have had plenty of time to build the computer. The Mac Pro hasen;t been updated for a while, there shouldn't be a shortage of supply. I ask her what happens if it doesn't ship tomorrow. She says I should call them (which means calling to make it through, sit on hold for 30 min, and then be told to wait until Monday for it to ship). And this is where I am at now.

Now thank you for letting me vent my frustrations. Has this happened to anyone else? Is Apple holding the computer? I paid almost 5k for this machine. I think the machine should get shipping priority. Now have you ever had an experience like this? What do you think? Is there a problem? Is this the sign of a new Mac Pro? Or is it just a mess up? Whatever it is, I am not happy. :(

:apple: My Apple Fanboy-ism is fading...:apple:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yess! This is a great sign! Actually, sorry, I know this has been inconvenient for you, but maybe this is a big telling clue that the Mac Pro will finally get updated next week.

You know if Tuesday rolls by and no new Mac Pro shows up, then I'd call back and give them hell. At that point, I would expect more than just free 2 day shipping.

Thanks for sharing this and do keep us up to date.

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
Keep dreaming..

I don't think this is going to happen.. not now at least.. maybe in July or September.

Yess! This is a great sign! Actually, sorry, I know this has been inconvenient for you, but maybe this is a big telling clue that the Mac Pro will finally get updated next week.

You know if Tuesday rolls by and no new Mac Pro shows up, then I'd call back and give them hell. At that point, I would expect more than just free 2 day shipping.

Thanks for sharing this and do keep us up to date.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
I have a friend still waiting on a CTO 2010 MBP from May. He's US. Oh Apple. I agree I don't think Apple will update the Mac Pro's till September, sadly.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I believe there is something funny going on with Apple's distribution centers in general (maybe swamped with iPad and iPhone orders?).

I ordered a new base-model Mac Mini a week ago (no customizations) through the Education store and it still hasn't shipped yet either. The rep on the phone told me that there's nothing they can do until it's 3 business days overdue. So I think you just have to hang in there. I know it probably feels like torture, but it will ship eventually :)

jwire4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
I really appreciate all the responsos! Finally someone feels my pain! So let me ask you this, when do I call Apple? It's almost 11pm PST. I was thinking maybe around 10am. If they were going to ship it, it should be out by then. What do you guys think?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I don't think this is going to happen.. not now at least.. maybe in July or September.

Yea, I'm a hopeless dreamer, I know :(

I believe there is something funny going on with Apple's distribution centers in general (maybe swamped with iPad and iPhone orders?).

I ordered a new base-model Mac Mini a week ago (no customizations) through the Education store and it still hasn't shipped yet either. The rep on the phone told me that there's nothing they can do until it's 3 business days overdue. So I think you just have to hang in there. I know it probably feels like torture, but it will ship eventually :)

Hey, I noticed in your sig you have a Mac Mini from last year. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use your Mini primarily for? HTPC? And did you purchase the new model to replace your current one?

Oh, and by the way, base Minis are selling for $669 currently at Amazon if you didn't know. No shipping and tax (depending on your state I think)

seisend

Suspended
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I had to wait for my Mac Pro a week or little more too. What's the problem?!
2-4 Business Days is just an estimation. My advice is just wait until this beast arrives to your house and don't call Apple everyday.

The shipment will be priority.

you39

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
I had to wait for my Mac Pro a week or little more too. What's the problem?!
2-4 Business Days is just an estimation. My advice is just wait until this beast arrives to your house and don't call Apple everyday.

The shipment will be priority.

I'm also disappointed. Where's the horror in this story? ;)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
The moral of this story is that you probably should just hunker down and wait like the rest of us since apparently there is no quick fix here..

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Keep your pants on.....Apple's been a little busy lately. I'd rather get my properly built to order machine in 10 days, rather than something that's missing parts I ordered in 4.

BTW....me jealous....nice config you have there.

jwire4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
Upadte

Alright everyone here's the update. If this doesn't tell you there is a new Mac Pro, I don't know what else is. HUGE inconvience for me. I know have to wait another week for a machine I need today!

Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the following
item(s) as follows:
MAC PRO
Ships by 1 - 3 business days
Delivers by Jun 29 - Jul 2

Very upset at this point. There is no reason for a delay.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Why not this tuesday? What makes July more likely? Why not August if September is a candidate? Why not October then?

People are just making blind guesses at this point. The only thing I can think of that can show a new Mac Pro in July is that Apple has updated one of their computers every month for the last three months, all of which right in the middle of that month. So there is a possibility they will update one of their computers in the middle of this month. However, the MBA and iMac are also about due for an update, so who knows which will be first.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Hey, I noticed in your sig you have a Mac Mini from last year. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use your Mini primarily for? HTPC? And did you purchase the new model to replace your current one?

Oh, and by the way, base Minis are selling for $669 currently at Amazon if you didn't know. No shipping and tax (depending on your state I think)

Exactly... I use it for a HTPC running Plex. I'm selling my 2009 on Craigslist and replacing it with the 2010 model... I like the HDMI output and the new GPU apparently handles Plex hardware accelerated decoding better than the older 9400M.

As mentioned, I purchased mine through the education store which saves me a few Canuck Bucks (I'm in Canada).

Alright everyone here's the update. If this doesn't tell you there is a new Mac Pro, I don't know what else is. HUGE inconvience for me. I know have to wait another week for a machine I need today!

Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the following
item(s) as follows:
MAC PRO
Ships by 1 - 3 business days
Delivers by Jun 29 - Jul 2

Very upset at this point. There is no reason for a delay.

Dude... you need to relax... go grab a couple of cervesas and sit by the pool! :D

There is a reason, it's just you or anyone you've talked to doesn't know it. I'm in the same boat with a stock Mac Mini purchase... I suspect Apple is just scrambling to keep up with all the orders for iPad's and iPhones flying in... it's a great problem to have! If it is because a new Mac Pro is just around the corner, be thankful... you can just send it back and get the latest and greatest.

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
So you ordered a CTO computer on Friday, and you called on Monday because it hadn't arrived yet? And how many times total have you called Apple about this already?

Dude, I'm as frustrated as you are about the whole Mac Pro thing, and I understand you want your computer bad and you spent a boatload of cash to get it, but you really gotta relax. We have all waited for months and months for them to release the new model- so what's a couple more days?

All they need is a parts shortage on one of the items you wanted custom and there's your delay. They wont send it out with something missing- thats not gonna happen. Besides, as we have all been finding out the hard way, Apple (God bless 'em!) is plenty busy making gobs of money selling itoys right now, so your Pro order unfortunately may be on the back burner, so to speak. (there's a bit of my cynicism speaking here.)

After all the false alarms about indicators of the new model's release, I don't think at all that this is a good indicator of the new model coming out soon. (Its definitely worth mentioning, however.) Plus, as others have mentioned, theres been a couple of small things that have been a SLIGHT distraction for Apple shipping centers- specifically a new Mac Mini and, oh yeah, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of Iphone orders to deal with. I cant even imagine how insane it is at those shipping centers right now.....

So as others have said, relax, and grab a beer. Take your girl out on a date. Have some fun NOT sitting at a computer for a couple more days. If it still hasn't shown up in a few more days, THEN call 'em and give them hell!!!

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Wouldn't that make 2 imac refreshes while we have been waiting for 1 MP refresh?

Yes it would. But I was just mentioning it because after looking at the buyers guide, it has been a good amount of time since the iMac update. They probably won't update the iMac befor the MP, that would just be stupid. However, I could see them updating th MBA before the MP. That would totally suck but I could see that happening. As for the iMac being refreshed before or after the back to school thing is over, I think it will be after. If they stick with the one computer update a month, they still have July, august, and September. My guess is, since the iMac is the newest, it will be updated in September. As for the MP and MBA, it is fairly close between the days since their last update. The MP is well in the 400s, MBA about to hit 400, and the iMac in the 200s. So I disagree with everybody who thinks the MP won't come out til September, they are just stupid for thinking that. So I think that by the end of august, we will see a new MP and new MBA.

jwire4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
You guys have really helped me to calm down. Hopefully this is just a problem with all the iPhone 4s shipping out. I would like to see a new Mac Pro, but not when I am in the middle of ordering mine. Called Apple just to see what the delay was. They didn't know, but the rep did give me a free iPod Touch case. Pretty nice. I am trying to stay as calm as possible, and haven't checked the Mac Pro Order Status all day. Hopefully it will ship out Monday or Tuesday and I will received it next week. If you have any questions or comments, keep adding them ;)

jwire4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
My Mac Pro is now prepared for shipment! This is good news for me, but might be bad for some hopeful people hoping for updates. I don't know. It's Apple, anything can happen.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
My Mac Pro is now prepared for shipment! This is good news for me, but might be bad for some hopeful people hoping for updates. I don't know. It's Apple, anything can happen.

Well if it doesn't actually ship until Tuesday, there's still some remote possibility...:D

oilfighter

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008

congrats, but my hope of seeing a new mac pro next Tuesday just died a little more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.