Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tangu

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Blazing Angel,

I want to try this, my 3G is really slow, it was slow before upgrading too...

I want to know witch deamon did you delete, or moved ? Did you modify only the "Safe Deamons" ? and/or the "Conditional Deamons" too ?

But first i need a way to connect to my iphone through USB because i don't have wifi access for now.

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Blazing Angel,

I want to know witch deamon did you delete, or moved ? Did you modify only the "Safe Deamons" ? and/or the "Conditional Deamons" too ?

But first i need a way to connect to my iphone through USB because i don't have wifi access for now.

USE iphone browser. It works with ios 4 jailbroken without afc2dd.

what you have to make sure you do is make a complete backup of the launch daemons folder. just dont "move the whole thhing: onto your desktop, edit it, then put it back on the phone. right click on the folder, hit copy, then paste it on your pc

im crazy so i got rid of everything besides push notifications. :D:D:D:D

if you have wallpapers enable, ssh to the system/library/coreservices/spinrgboard.app and delete ALL wallpaper shadow pngs. They cause a slowdown too.

there is a new terminal out too if you want to delete lang packs, i dont know if its in cydia or not : http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/downloads/list

install it with ssh by doing:

Installation:
1. Download the archive "***. app"
2. open WinSCP (user:root Password:alpine)
3. copy archive "***.app" to: private/var/stash/Applications.63D9WL (.63D9WL extension will be different on all iphones)
4. right click on newly copied file and hit properties and set permissions to 755 and check mark "recursive" and hit "OK"
5. create a folder called "Documents" (if not already created) in private/var/mobile/ (make sure you have capitalized the first letter "D" in Documents)
6. right click on newly created "Documents" folder and hit properties and set permissions to 755 and check mark "recursive" and hit "OK"
7. hard reboot iphone (turn power off and back on)
8. play with your new app!

ive posted this 100x times. Just like to postpone ze upgrades to new iphones :D

EDIT # 2 sadly, i dont think you can change properties to 755 with iphone browser, so wait until you have wi fi to delete language packs.

EDIT # 3 make a backup just incase anything happens. i can confirm its also safe to delete •com.apple.awd_ice3.plist, its only affetc the unhacked 4th gen phone

EDIT #3 i also deleted the unknown daemons. Since its your first time, do them one at a time, rebooting every now and then ;)

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Blazing Angel,

also, if you can, go into settings/general/reset/reset all

this helps sometimes too. if you restore from a backup, try maybe without the backup and see if it improves further on

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
all languages get loaded no?:D

onto the hard drive yes.. not the RAM itself..

Its like saying login into windows loads the the languages.. Yes it does their on the hard drive for you to use.. But on in the actual Ram.

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
onto the hard drive yes.. not the RAM itself..

Its like saying login into windows loads the the languages.. Yes it does their on the hard drive for you to use.. But on in the actual Ram.

well it made my phone zipper, resprings faster, and cut down load time of a tomtom app by 4 sec

Tangu

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
USE iphone browser. It works with ios 4 jailbroken without afc2dd.

what you have to make sure you do is make a complete backup of the launch daemons folder. just dont "move the whole thhing: onto your desktop, edit it, then put it back on the phone. right click on the folder, hit copy, then paste it on your pc

im crazy so i got rid of everything besides push notifications. :D:D:D:D

if you have wallpapers enable, ssh to the system/library/coreservices/spinrgboard.app and delete ALL wallpaper shadow pngs. They cause a slowdown too.

I did use the one i put in my edit: iPhoneExplorer

I did all those SAFE deamons and some Conditional.

I'll try those shadow pngs, because my 3G isn't fast at all. More like 5 secondes before an apps will open... like the camera for instance.

there is a new terminal out too if you want to delete lang packs, i dont know if its in cydia or not : http://code.google.com/p/mobileterminal/downloads/list

install it with ssh by doing:

Installation:
1. Download the archive "***. app"
2. open WinSCP (user:root Password:alpine)
3. copy archive "***.app" to: private/var/stash/Applications.63D9WL (.63D9WL extension will be different on all iphones)
4. right click on newly copied file and hit properties and set permissions to 755 and check mark "recursive" and hit "OK"
5. create a folder called "Documents" (if not already created) in private/var/mobile/ (make sure you have capitalized the first letter "D" in Documents)
6. right click on newly created "Documents" folder and hit properties and set permissions to 755 and check mark "recursive" and hit "OK"
7. hard reboot iphone (turn power off and back on)
8. play with your new app!

ive posted this 100x times. Just like to postpone ze upgrades to new iphones :D

EDIT # 2 sadly, i dont think you can change properties to 755 with iphone browser, so wait until you have wi fi to delete language packs.

EDIT # 3 make a backup just incase anything happens. i can confirm its also safe to delete •com.apple.awd_ice3.plist, its only affetc the unhacked 4th gen phone

EDIT #3 i also deleted the unknown daemons. Since its your first time, do them one at a time, rebooting every now and then ;)

Cool thanks for the terminal Tips, it work. I copied it over using an SFTP client (Cyberduck), did the chmod 755 with it... and only Respring the Dashboard to see it.

On the ipad, i just drag the terminal.app into itunes and sync it into the ipad, but exit itself as soon as i enter so it doesn't work. It's sad, because no more terminal are working on the ipad :(

So, about those shadow icon, i did move those to another folder :
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app root# ls -1 *Shadow*.png
FolderShadowBottom.png
FolderShadowNotch.png
FolderShadowTop.png
SwitcherIconShadow.png
SwitcherShadowTop.png
WallpaperIconDockShadow.png
WallpaperIconDockShadowT.png
WallpaperIconShadow.png
WallpaperIconShadowT.png

But i have still having shadow on the dock icon ?

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
I did use the one i put in my edit: iPhoneExplorer

I did all those SAFE deamons and some Conditional.

I'll try those shadow pngs, because my 3G isn't fast at all. More like 5 secondes before an apps will open... like the camera for instance.

Cool thanks for the terminal Tips, it work. I copied it over using an SFTP client (Cyberduck), did the chmod 755 with it... and only Respring the Dashboard to see it.

On the ipad, i just drag the terminal.app into itunes and sync it into the ipad, but exit itself as soon as i enter so it doesn't work. It's sad, because no more terminal are working on the ipad :(

So, about those shadow icon, i did move those to another folder :
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app root# ls -1 *Shadow*.png
FolderShadowBottom.png
FolderShadowNotch.png
FolderShadowTop.png
SwitcherIconShadow.png
SwitcherShadowTop.png
WallpaperIconShadow.png
WallpaperIconShadowT.png

But i have still having shadow on the dock icon ?
i sadly have no idea on how to get rid of that one:(
EDIT: tha t a reflection. ill try to find it
did u delete the ICE AWD 3 daemon?

and the apcd dump daemons? they take up a lot of memory. I deleted EVERYTHING besides apsd.plist. maybe thats why have so much speed:eek:

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Easiest option is PhoneView you browse through mac and just delete. Took 2 minutes. Love it, hope my 3g speeds up.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
getting terrible battery life now all of a sudden with my 3G,

So I jailbroke my 3G a couple of weeks ago and its running on 4.0 GM. Disabled 3G, run wifi and have push enabled for facebook only. And also when i jailbroke it i set it up as a New Phone.

I have M/T + wallpapers + remove recents + battery percentage and using biteSMS. I leave only biteSMS, Mail and Phone in M/T.

Now for some strange reason i noticed lately my battery life has really gone bad! For example my battery would read 56% but after like a 5minute talk my battery drops 15% and down to 41%.. Seems like talking on the phone kills it the most.

My phone still has warranty until mid july i was thinking, should i just call apple and get that replaced while i still can and just pay the 25$.

Any advice on the bad battery life? Usually people say sometimes jailbreaks go bad and to set it up as a new phone is the best bet after jailbreaking, also this battery life seemed to have gone worse after i installed biteSMS. Is biteSMS hard on the phone can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks!

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
getting terrible battery life now all of a sudden with my 3G,

So I jailbroke my 3G a couple of weeks ago and its running on 4.0 GM. Disabled 3G, run wifi and have push enabled for facebook only. And also when i jailbroke it i set it up as a New Phone.

I have M/T + wallpapers + remove recents + battery percentage and using biteSMS. I leave only biteSMS, Mail and Phone in M/T.

Now for some strange reason i noticed lately my battery life has really gone bad! For example my battery would read 56% but after like a 5minute talk my battery drops 15% and down to 41%.. Seems like talking on the phone kills it the most.

My phone still has warranty until mid july i was thinking, should i just call apple and get that replaced while i still can and just pay the 25$.

Any advice on the bad battery life? Usually people say sometimes jailbreaks go bad and to set it up as a new phone is the best bet after jailbreaking, also this battery life seemed to have gone worse after i installed biteSMS. Is biteSMS hard on the phone can anyone enlighten me on this?

Thanks!

go into settiings, general, reset, then reset ALL settings. the batt lifeususally become terrible after ios4 upgrade and restore from a backup. next, let the battery drain to 2-5% (it will shut off.) then do a full recharge from a wall outlet, it provides more power than a pc. if none of that works, restore, but dont use ur backup

Tangu

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
f**k iOS4 :)

I was too slow, impossible to let it go... Near than 10 secondes befores accessing the Settings icons, or 10 seconds before accessing the camera.

So i did those test:

1- Restore from factory to 4.0, as a NEW iphone.
result -> 8 to 10 seconds again access apps = too much !
2- wanted to test the jailbreak again without any of my stuff, but it doesn't worth the test
3 - Downgrade from iTunes 9.2 to 9.1.1 using this procedure: http://hackstor.blogspot.com/2010/06/downgrade-itunes-92-to-911-macwindows.html
4 - Then downgrade from iPhone 4.0 to 3.1.3, got the 1015 error and had to use the libUSB to get rid of the DFU loop
result -> 1-2 seconds to access the Settings + camera (its about time)
5 - Jailbreak, using Spirit this time
result -> same without jailbreak.

So, this is my story, hope i can help others, a lot of people complain about ios4. It doesn't add much to an iPhone 3G.

Just jailbreak it, and you can have at least 2 new features: 1) from the 3GS: the battery Percentage 2) from the iOS4: the app Categories, so now i can group apps into folders.

Blazing angel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
f**k iOS4 :)

I was too slow, impossible to let it go... Near than 10 secondes befores accessing the Settings icons, or 10 seconds before accessing the camera.

So i did those test:

1- Restore from factory to 4.0, as a NEW iphone.
result -> 8 to 10 seconds again access apps = too much !
2- wanted to test the jailbreak again without any of my stuff, but it doesn't worth the test
3 - Downgrade from iTunes 9.2 to 9.1.1 using this procedure: http://hackstor.blogspot.com/2010/06/downgrade-itunes-92-to-911-macwindows.html
4 - Then downgrade from iPhone 4.0 to 3.1.3, got the 1015 error and had to use the libUSB to get rid of the DFU loop
result -> 1-2 seconds to access the Settings + camera (its about time)
5 - Jailbreak, using Spirit this time
result -> same without jailbreak.

So, this is my story, hope i can help others, a lot of people complain about ios4. It doesn't add much to an iPhone 3G.

Just jailbreak it, and you can have at least 2 new features: 1) from the 3GS: the battery Percentage 2) from the iOS4: the app Categories, so now i can group apps into folders.

ok, remember, these "tweaks" work on all ios's:D

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I already drained my battery down to NULL and fully charge.

Also i set the thing up as a new phone and never used a backup!

Im getting frustrated and yah it takes like 5-10seconds to open up camera. Show ppl my iPhone i gotta wait like 15minutes to load up the Photos app... pretty sad..

I just dont understand sometimes this phone runs great and sometimes its sluggish as *****

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Well setting M/T to false using iFile seems to have improved the battery life greatly.

I will see and continue watching results.. Also i disabled Push but im gonna enable it tmr and see then what happens with M/T still off.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I just did a test with 3G, 4.0 GM that had wallpapers, m/t and cydia and my battery life was bad and settings and other stock apps would take like 10seconds to open. This was on a clean install of 4.0 not a backup. So i ran a test and this is what i came up with.

4.0, jb, m/t, wallpapers, remove recents, battery %, push enabled, fetch 1 email account every 15min = slow loads basic APPS FOREVER! also the battery life was terrible!

4.0,jb, wallpapers, remove recents, battery %, push enabled, fetch email every 15min = My battery last now under like 2.5hours heavy usage, with probably 40minute talking and its only down to about 50-60% if that!

Im also running LockInfo on my lockscreen.

Only thing i wish for would be those damn push notifications to work!

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Let's speed up iOS 4 on iPhone 3G!

What kinds of files, plists, daemons, etc. can we SSH into and remove from a jailbroken iPhone 3G to speed it up?

I think a big memory hog is the new spell check feature, is there a way to turn this off or disable it? I'm not getting the iPhone 4 until August so I'd like a usable 3G for the time being. :p

Any suggestions, ideas, experiences you have with iOS 4 running on your iPhone 3G list them in your reply! :D

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
For me, removing these files:

WallpaperIconShadow.png
WallpaperIconShadowT.png

made my iPod touch running iOS 4 go a lot faster, especially on home screen wallpapers.

They are located in /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I've found a way to make multitasking work wonderfully on 3G. I had all the same problems you guys have been having when I first jailbroke and enabled multitasking and homescreen wallpapers. I restored to a stock firmware and then once again jailbroke and enabled multitasking, installed cydia, but did nothing else. Then I downloaded backgrounder and remove recents. I used backgrounder to set global backgrounding permissions to off, with exceptions for Safari, Pandora, and other apps I actually use. This way apps I just open, such as settings or clock, don't keep hogging memory. My phone has been working like a champ ever since.

trajen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I've found a way to make multitasking work wonderfully on 3G. I had all the same problems you guys have been having when I first jailbroke and enabled multitasking and homescreen wallpapers. I restored to a stock firmware and then once again jailbroke and enabled multitasking, installed cydia, but did nothing else. Then I downloaded backgrounder and remove recents. I used backgrounder to set global backgrounding permissions to off, with exceptions for Safari, Pandora, and other apps I actually use. This way apps I just open, such as settings or clock, don't keep hogging memory. My phone has been working like a champ ever since.

Sounds like a good plan to me! I'll have to try this. Thanx! :)

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
I've finally turned off Apple's multitasking on my 3G. It just isn't made for the "tight memory" of 128 MB. :(

If I ever start running any web browser (other than Opera Mini) it gobbles up all available memory to around 4-5 MB free and things get really molasses like. :mad:

I tried Remove Recents but it actually doesn't help what I imagine to be Apple's poorly thought out runtime caching. They obviously decided to not bother optimizing below the 3GS memory capacity of 256 MB. The approach appears to be keep everything in RAM because the iPhone 4 has gobs and so who cares about everyone else. Wankers. What is amazing is if you run Backgrounder with Apple's multitasking off (by modding the N82AP.plist) things run fantastically well under iOS 4. So what the heck is Apple doing with theirs enabled???

Pity that none of the 3.x switchers like Circquitous, ProSwitcher or Kirikae have been updated for iOS 4. In fact, I think Petrich has punted on any further development of ProSwitcher. I don't really care for Apple's task switcher either, it just takes too many steps to quit an app: where you have to first double click to minimize out of the app and then double click again to show the previous app for quitting. Huh?? I think again their approach is: why bother with quitting anything, keep it in memory all the time!!

Though one can circumvent this a bit by using Backgrounder (and the new Activator in development will help too).

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Mod Note:

There was some seriously bad "advice" posted in this thread. This has now been removed.

In future please report posts
report.gif
rather than insult those who post such "advice".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.