Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
I ordered some a stick of 512 SODIMM ram from Frye'e earlier this week. When it arrived, the barcode around the plastic containing the ram said 512 SODIMM but the ram inside had a regular sick of 512 (approximately 5" long). I opened the bottom of my iMac and the slot there was square(ish). Am I looking at the correct slot for the ram? By the way, I am was not looking at the Airport slot. I wrote Frye's back and requested a change. Because the pkg. is wrong will I just get more of the same when they 'pick' the order? Has anyone dealt with Frye's before who can tell me their customer service record. And finally, am I missing something when I lifted the bottom of my 'puter? There was a flimsy plastic thing that seemed to separate the airport and ram slot from everything else. I was pretty sure taking that out would void my warranty. Thanks for any information.
Pete

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I suggest that you go back to the store because I don't think that there is a fry's online, except outpost.com. The RAM on the bottom of the iMac is the SO-DIMM, and the top slot is that regular DIMM (the one you got, approx 5in)

Good luck return it too, I hear that some of the stores have really bad customer service. I don't have any in my area, but I wish you luck :)

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Fry's as in Fry's Electronics? They're ok I guess with customer service, but I'm really not a big fan of the stores, except it's true they are cheaper than some places. Anyway, I also ordered RAM from them for an iMac and I got the wrong RAM too. The iMacs actually use laptop memory, instead of the regular desktop memory they gave you (I'm assuming that's what happened), so it shouldn't be a problem to get it switched. Hope it works out :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
They ran a 30 minute background check on my uncle when he tried to pay with a check. And no, he isn't a criminal. :p

Oh, and if you do ever get the right RAM, I don't think it will work. A friend of mine once had to return a wifi router 12 times to get a full working router, with all the cables. :eek:

Good Luck!

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
When I was looking at iBooks at the Apple store, they told me the SO-DIMM was under the Airport Extreme card. I'd ask Apple or look in your manual before you try to open the bottom of the system up. (It was a "genius" that told me. Since they install RAM, I'd think he'd know).

BTW... Stay away from Kingston Value Ram. I just tried to put some in my PB and it didn't pass the extended ram test. My 512MB Apple RAM is working quite nice. You can buy Crucial which should work for cheaper.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
jimsowden said:
You left a clifhanger in yout title so i had to read this.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing??

When I was looking at iBooks at the Apple store, they told me the SO-DIMM was under the Airport Extreme card. I'd ask Apple or look in your manual before you try to open the bottom of the system up. (It was a "genius" that told me. Since they install RAM, I'd think he'd know).

It didn't appear to be any direct way of getting behind the airport card. Not to mention that there was a ram slot right next to the airport card slot.

I suggest that you go back to the store because I don't think that there is a fry's online, except outpost.com. The RAM on the bottom of the iMac is the SO-DIMM, and the top slot is that regular DIMM (the one you got, approx 5in)

I guess I should have clarified that it came through outpost.com. SOrry for the confusion.

thanks for the infor guys :)

OldManJimbo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
California Coast
I've had good and bad service from Frys + Outpost.com.
Mostly good service from Outpost. Going to the stores is a pain. The floor help is generally bad - either condescending or clueless.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
ha. . . good ol' fry's . . . great cheap stuff, but you get what you pay for. its an outlet store, you must realize that before stepping foot in there (or online). everything that passes through there has either been returned, exchanged, repaired or just broken and put back in the box. but if you are really lucky you might find over stock items which are new unopened and actually work. i had a video card once i returned 4 times before i got one that worked. i would say about 50 percent of the products i purchase there work the first time. but the good thing is with all my effort of driving back to the store and returning things i save a lot of money! its worth it to me.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Yeah. Another friend of mine got a WiFi router for 40 bucks because they didn't mark it correctly. Fry's is great for when you need something cheap, but I really don't like them. But I guess I did build a computer out of parts from their ad (the lost leaders).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.