Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KalashniKEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Every day when I get off work I take the top down, start the Pandora app, plug in my old, faithful 3G, and place it in the cupholder.

Today, I was pretty pumped to see the speed at which it loaded on screen as I started on my way home. Then, halfway into the SECOND song it just stopped... coverage is usually pretty good in this area (NoVA) so I picked it up to check and I couldn't see the display... the first thing I thought was, "Wow... this is too glossy to read in the sun," the second was, "Whoa, this thing is hot..."

I put it down and when I got to the first light I shaded it with my hand and pressed the button repeadedly until I got the Warning triangle and the message, "Temperature."

I wanted to cool down the phone, but was afraid to put it in my console with pens and stuff b/c I haven't got a screen protector yet, so I put it in my pocket and drove the rest of the way home... yup, a little toasty.

When I got back I took it out and hit the button again, but it still said, "Temperature."

I put it on my counter and started to change my clothes... suddenly "BLAM!" the music came back!!!

I stopped Pandora and looking right at me on the home screen was the Weather.com app. I pressed it. "Use current location?" YES.

Guess what it said... 88F!

:(

Dsking85

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
make sure there was not a little bit of standing liquid in your cupholder. check water sensors.

KalashniKEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
The phone will get warm the first day. After that you're good to go. At least in my case, as well as a buddy of mine.

Only on the first day? You mean like it's "breaking in?"

I don't think that's the issue. The source of the heat was external, i.e. the warm sunshine of a beautiful Friday. And Pandora isn't that taxing.

It really isn't that blazing hot out. I'm about to head to the pool and I'm going to leave it in direct sunlight to see if it happens again, but if 88F kills function, then forget about it. Beach, Boating... no iPhone? Forget it.

It's funny, b/c I use the ballistic calculator iSnipe and was always thinking of getting the Otterbox for MIL-STD-1913 rails. I guess b/c of the thermostat only the old 3G models are fit for professional application in that role?

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The temperature reported in your area by the weather channel app has nothing to do with the temperature that your phone may have been from sitting in the sun (ok maybe they are slightly related).

The ambient air temperature at a nearby weather station might be 88F, but your phone can absorb much more heat both from the sun and from its internal components.

phrint

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Ohio
Mine's been running very cool and much cooler than my 3GS. I have been tasking the hell out of it since Wednesday.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Simple, iPhone does't operate when its at high temperature.

apple-iphone-temperature-warning-thumb-250x375-3185.jpg

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2101

Apple said:
Leaving the device in a car on a hot day.

KalashniKEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
The temperature reported in your area by the weather channel app has nothing to do with the temperature that your phone may have been from sitting in the sun (ok maybe they are slightly related).

Yeah... I know that. Unfortunately I didn't have a mercury thermometer handy. My point is it's not even hot out. It's actually beautiful.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I would be worried if the iPhone overheated by itself. If it got that way because it was under direct sunlight and it was hot it's pretty normal.

Ishimaru

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Only on the first day? You mean like it's "breaking in?"

I don't think that's the issue. The source of the heat was external, i.e. the warm sunshine of a beautiful Friday. And Pandora isn't that taxing.

It really isn't that blazing hot out. I'm about to head to the pool and I'm going to leave it in direct sunlight to see if it happens again, but if 88F kills function, then forget about it. Beach, Boating... no iPhone? Forget it.

It's funny, b/c I use the ballistic calculator iSnipe and was always thinking of getting the Otterbox for MIL-STD-1913 rails. I guess b/c of the thermostat only the old 3G models are fit for professional application in that role?
Yes only the first day. Three people, myself included have had this issue at first, only to have it disappear the very next day.

KalashniKEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Yes only the first day. Three people, myself included have had this issue at first, only to have it disappear the very next day.

I will test drive for the weekend and report back to this thread, even if it's dead. Temperature fail is a NO GO in these conditions.

bhattsan

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Mine was a bit warm the first day too (compared to my 3g). Now its fine no matter what Im doing.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Their is reports that iPads also do this.

I don't know WTF is going on at Apple, but they need to step up their game big tyme.

First gen iPhone never did this
3GS Doesnt do it

That A4 Chip may be fast, but it gets HOT

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
You know the color black attracts heat, right?
So you're telling me you're shocked that your iPhone overheated while being used in a convertible (with top down) in direct sunlight, on a hot summer day. It's currently ~90 degrees in DC today. :confused:

gnow13

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Wife was at the pool, left her ip4 sitting on her towel. When she went to use it, had the "temperature" fail message on it. After hiding it under her towel, it cooled down and works again.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Their is reports that iPads also do this.

I don't know WTF is going on at Apple, but they need to step up their game big tyme.

First gen iPhone never did this
3GS Doesnt do it

That A4 Chip may be fast, but it gets HOT

First gen definitely DID have some overheating problems. I mean, it didn't have that nifty temperature warning, but I had one that nearly scorched my hand (it wasn't even in a case) while it was charging. Then it did it again while I was talking on it (using a handsfree).

I had to return it.

In fact, I went through 4 of the First gen iPhones.

Never had much of an overheating problem with my 3G or my 3GS.

We shall see when I finally get the 4th gen. (waiting for white)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
OP, I believe we live in the same area. If you're going to say the baking temperature we had was beautiful, I beg to differ. I've sweat my ass off going into to work, going to lunch, and I'm sure going home. I can easily see why you got the overheat. Also, it didn't fail, but worked the way it was supposed to and protected your device.

karthwyne

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You know the color black attracts heat, right?
So you're telling me you're shocked that your iPhone overheated while being used in a convertible (with top down) in direct sunlight, on a hot summer day. It's currently ~90 degrees in DC today. :confused:

Completely agreed. The phone is black, so will increase in temp rapidly in direct sunlight. Secondly, the OP had the top down. It was after work, so just past (or even still at) the hottest part of the day. The mounting location was probably shielded from the most of the airflow but still in direct sun. This does not sound at all like an issue.

I'd bet that you could overheat it on a glacier if left in direct sunlight.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
I was on the beach with my iPad one day, in the shade, and after about 5 minutes it locked up with the same message.

Really annoying, happens often. On top of the glossy display, it makes it totally inoperable on a nice day. Maybe they shouldn't have covered the devices in BLACK.

KalashniKEV

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010

Don't be confused. And please use your brain.

My 3G is also black and performed this task in all conditions. A phone that can not be "used in a convertible (with top down) in direct sunlight, on a hot summer day" is defective.

Do you think it might affect sales if the box read:

"WARNING: Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun"

or

"CAUTION: Phone will become inoperable when used in beautiful weather"

or perhaps:

"The new 4G incorporates a magical, enchanting, thermostat that prevents function during daylight."

Get some sense.

Jack Dangers

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Don't be confused. And please use your brain.

My 3G is also black and performed this task in all conditions. A phone that can not be "used in a convertible (with top down) in direct sunlight, on a hot summer day" is defective.

Do you think it might affect sales if the box read:

"WARNING: Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun"

or

"CAUTION: Phone will become inoperable when used in beautiful weather"

or perhaps:

"The new 4G incorporates a magical, enchanting, thermostat that prevents function during daylight."

Get some sense.

ahh...never mind. Some people get what they deserve.

c5ride

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
OP, does anythin in your cup holder get really hot easily?? The cup holders in one of my vehicles gets really warm, the others don't. I know you said your 3G didn't trip its thermo sensor, but maybe the 4 is a little more sensitive?? Don't know, I just know that i'm surprised my 3G or 3GS never tripped its thermo in my one particular vehicle. I will test it with my new 4 tonight as I drove that car to work today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.