Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atruepretense

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Hello everyone, i'm having some problems with my iPhone 3G.

I have an iPhone 3G that was on 3.1.2 jailbroken but not unlocked. One day while I was listening to music in my car, my iPhone just randomly shut off and was stuck on restore mode. I tried to restore with no luck. I got recovery error 1611.

I tried:
- 4 Different computers.
- Official and hacked IPSWs for 3.1.3, 3.1.2 even 3.0
- Different plugs
- DFU mode and recovery mode.
- Tried on Macs and PCs, and a hackintosh.

When I can get my phone into DFU, I restore the firmware through iTunes and it stay's on the white screen while the firmware starts to load, then it'll restart while the firmware is preparing, then back to a white screen, then restart again, then it gives error 1611.

I'm lost. My phone's never been dropped, spilled water on, cracked, nothing.

I've been scaring myself by hearing that it's a hardware issue, or could be a battery or the sync cable terminals, etc...

Can anyone shed some light on me? Any diagnostics I can perform? Anything i'm missing? My iPhone's out of warranty, so I think apple charges $125 to fix it or replace it, which is not bad considering I got the phone for free. (Helped a friend alot).

Vickz

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
Hi,
Similar thing happened to me. iPhone just wouldn't finish restore process after unsuccessful install of os4. Kept getting 1611 message. Tried the whole dfu, reinstall iTunes etc to no avail.

What did work however was trying on a different computer. That allowed me to restore. Interestingy when I went back to my previous comp that I had prob on, the now restored phone continued to have probs with iTunes (it didn't before os4 debacle) what fixed this, and although I'm no tech head might have fixed the whole bloody thing to begin with, was uninstalling the iPhones drivers, rebooting and then plugging iPhone back in and letting drivers reinstall.

Good luck to all out there having this prob, it took me two days to fix and I was going out of my mind!

PCStephenson

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
1611 restore error

I have tried all of the suggestions and will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow. My warranty expires on the 14th. August 2010 so I am lucky. May score a new one!
Hope the sync works and I get back my address book and apps.
PeterS

Hi,
Similar thing happened to me. iPhone just wouldn't finish restore process after unsuccessful install of os4. Kept getting 1611 message. Tried the whole dfu, reinstall iTunes etc to no avail.

What did work however was trying on a different computer. That allowed me to restore. Interestingy when I went back to my previous comp that I had prob on, the now restored phone continued to have probs with iTunes (it didn't before os4 debacle) what fixed this, and although I'm no tech head might have fixed the whole bloody thing to begin with, was uninstalling the iPhones drivers, rebooting and then plugging iPhone back in and letting drivers reinstall.

Good luck to all out there having this prob, it took me two days to fix and I was going out of my mind!

PCStephenson

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
1611 error

Took it in today and it was replaced with a factory reconditioned one. :)

I have tried all of the suggestions and will be going to the Apple Store tomorrow. My warranty expires on the 14th. August 2010 so I am lucky. May score a new one!
Hope the sync works and I get back my address book and apps.
PeterS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.