Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steeez

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Anybody getting a "No Sim Inserted" message on their iPhone 4? Never got this on my 3g or 3gs. It goes back to normal after a restart but it's annoying to have to do this everytime. Anybody have this problem or have the solution?

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I was at the apple store yesterday and there were AT&T support staff in the store help setting up phones and i overheard this happening to another customer. As far as I understood it the sim card in the phone was deactivating for some reason. The only way to fix it I think is by going to AT&T and asking for a new sim card and it should be fine.

If it continues ask for another sim card. The guys at the store had to go through 2-3 sometimes until it worked.

bigtallguy

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Anybody getting a "No Sim Inserted" message on their iPhone 4? Never got this on my 3g or 3gs. It goes back to normal after a restart but it's annoying to have to do this everytime. Anybody have this problem or have the solution?

I got this error today too. After having my iPhone freezing/locking up occasionally, I couldn't take it anymore, so I took my brand new iPhone 4 that I got on Thursday back to my local Apple store that I got it at and they restored it to the original firmware and it still had the error, so the Apple Store employee confirmed that it was a hardware problem with my iPhone and they gave me a brand new one, and I haven't had any problems since (including freezing and the SIM error). I would suggest you do the same, you're in the warranty, so just get a new one from Apple.

macbookpro45

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I think it varies from phone to phone. Mine did it exactly three times. I went to ATT to get a new sim card, and the phone hasn't made an error since.

dwcerra

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Yep happened to me twice, one last night, I turned off the iPhone 4 & restarted, it worked fine. Then tonight it happened again. This time I removed the SIM and reinserted it and seems fine again. I also reset the network settings. It shouldn't happen at all but I read that sometimes you have to remove the sim & reinsert it to get a better contact. If it happens again I'll take into Apple & see what they say. :-/

justintact

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
I took mine to the apple store after numerous times "no sim card installed" They replaced the phone and I have had no problems since. I went to at&t first and got a new microsim and that didn't help. I thought that the microsim slot was just loose and by moving my phone it would just lose connection. Seems like I had a faulty phone! I recorded this happening on Friday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwdREdz_VtY

Its kinda long, I am no expert on editing videos to just show the dropped calls! One at 2:44 and the other at 5:32

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I've had this happen twice and was about to start a new thread (glad I searched first). Friday and Saturday the same thing; out of the blue I pick up my phone and it says "no sim card installed". Both times I rebooted the phone, nothing. Then ejected it, put it back in, nothing. Did this a fews times both days, nothing. After rebooting again it worked again.

Do I go to the AT&T store first (it's 2 minutes away) or should I go to the hectic Apple store?

Never had this issue on any other phone and it's going to happen at a time when I need to get on a conference call and I will be P!SSED!!!

jobsfnby

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
I've had this happen twice and was about to start a new thread (glad I searched first). Friday and Saturday the same thing; out of the blue I pick up my phone and it says "no sim card installed". Both times I rebooted the phone, nothing. Then ejected it, put it back in, nothing. Did this a fews times both days, nothing. After rebooting again it worked again.

Do I go to the AT&T store first (it's 2 minutes away) or should I go to the hectic Apple store?

Never had this issue on any other phone and it's going to happen at a time when I need to get on a conference call and I will be P!SSED!!!

I'd go to the AT&T store first and ask for a new sim...if that doesn't work and you get another error then go to the apple store

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
You're guys problem is less worse than mine is. Yesterday I got the "No SIM card Installed" about 25 times over a 3 hour period before I pulled it out to charge it for the night. My signal kept going out then the error would come on then my signal would reinstate and kept happening over and FRICKIN over again (It's happening RIGHT NOW as I type this post :mad:). It would wake up my phone every time so my battery life decreased faster.

Today I replaced the SIM at AT&T and all was good for about an hour, then BAM! started again. This is a lot more than the reception issue ( which is really bad on mine ). The Build Quality of the phone is great except for the SIM problem :( I'll be calling Apple first thing tomorrow....sigh.

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
You're guys problem is less worse than mine is. Yesterday I got the "No SIM card Installed" about 25 times over a 3 hour period before I pulled it out to charge it for the night. My signal kept going out then the error would come on then my signal would reinstate and kept happening over and FRICKIN over again (It's happening RIGHT NOW as I type this post :mad:). It would wake up my phone every time so my battery life decreased faster.

Today I replaced the SIM at AT&T and all was good for about an hour, then BAM! started again. This is a lot more than the reception issue ( which is really bad on mine ). The Build Quality of the phone is great except for the SIM problem :( I'll be calling Apple first thing tomorrow....sigh.
It is not a reception issue. I had this happen to. I had the SIM replaced and it kept happening. Finally made an apt at an Apple store and they replaced the phone. All has been good since, no more errors.

So just make an appointment and get it replaced. It is a know issue with some phones.

mad-dog-one

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2009

I have seen this warning when the phone was turned on with SIM missing or in a non-iPhone where the SIM made poor contact with the phone electrodes (pins).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.