Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
I got an iphone 2g(silver/black back) last week and I called at&t and activated it on my line which was eligible for the iphone4 upgrade.

today I go into the at&t store to upgrade...

and now I have unlimited data on my iPhone 4!

loop holes...gotta love'em!:rolleyes:

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I got an iphone 2g(silver/black back) last week and I called at&t and activated it on my line which was eligible for the iphone4 upgrade.

today I go into the at&t store to upgrade...

and now I have unlimited data on my iPhone 4!

loops holes...gotta love'em!:rolleyes:

Nice!!

Remember, that 2G iPhone will once again get you unlimited data if you ever switch to the 2GB plan and then decide you want to go back to unlimited. Just activate the 2G once again but choose that you are replacing your current iPhone with the 2G. The only data plan it will offer you is unlimited.

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
so in theory I could go and buy an iPhone 2g, switch from my iP4 to that phone, change plans and then switch back?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
so in theory I could go and buy an iPhone 2g, switch from my iP4 to that phone, change plans and then switch back?

You can. You can even buy a new iPhone 4 which would only allow you to have a 2GB data plan. Get home, activate the 2G using your iPhone 4 number. When asked, you are replacing your current phone (the i4) with the 2G. It will give you unlimited data. Then go back to AT&T and have them give you a new Micro Sim and either call AT&T or have them do it in store, reactivate the iPhone 4 which will then give you unlimited data. Hope it makes sense. It involves some work but it works.

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
You can. You can even buy a new iPhone 4 which would only allow you to have a 2GB data plan. Get home, activate the 2G using your iPhone 4 number. When asked, you are replacing your current phone (the i4) with the 2G. It will give you unlimited data. Then go back to AT&T and have them give you a new Micro Sim and either call AT&T or have them do it in store, reactivate the iPhone 4 which will then give you unlimited data. Hope it makes sense. It involves some work but it works.

How long do you have to wait in order to do this anyways?

Like between switching plans and stuff I mean.

Amnesia87

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
As long as you have the time, you could do it all in one day. AT&Ts computer doesn't limit that.

but like wouldn't they be suspicious when you go in to get the microsim?

is there no way to switch from regular sim to microsim yourself?

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
but like wouldn't they be suspicious when you go in to get the microsim?

is there no way to switch from regular sim to microsim yourself?

No you can't. This is why I would actually prefer to switch back to the iPhone 4 over the phone. They would just ask for the IMEI # and the long number on the micro sim.

When you ask for a sim at the Apple store, just tell them it's for an iPad.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
i just got my iPhone 4 last week, i came to AT&T from Verizon , as it was a brand new line i got 2GB cap on my iPhone.

if i switch my phone line to my sisters old iPhone 2G and switch is back to iPhone 4 will i get unlimited data on my phone ? can some one confirm ? that sound too good to be true thanks

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
i just got my iPhone 4 last week, i came to AT&T from Verizon , as it was a brand new line i got 2GB cap on my iPhone.

if i switch my phone line to my sisters old iPhone 2G and switch is back to iPhone 4 will i get unlimited data on my phone ? can some one confirm ? that sound too good to be true thanks

It will work!

You just activate the 2G in iTunes under using your iPhone 4 phone number. You select that you are replacing your current phone with this iPhone and you pick your unlimited data plan + SMS. That will get you unlimited data and then go to AT&T and get a new micro sim. Call AT&T and have them change your plan from the 2G to the 3G and you keep your unlimited data since it is grandfathered. :)

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
It will work!

You just activate the 2G in iTunes under using your iPhone 4 phone number. You select that you are replacing your current phone with this iPhone and you pick your unlimited data plan + SMS. That will get you unlimited data and then go to AT&T and get a new micro sim. Call AT&T and have them change your plan from the 2G to the 3G and you keep your unlimited data since it is grandfathered. :)

ohh wow .. but initially i got 2GB cap plan , wont they ask me to go back on that plan?

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
No. Look at the OP in this thread. He activated his 2G last week. Today he upgrades to the iPhone 4 and keeps his data plan.

This whole plan will work. Try it and see.

great ill try! i dont think she has her sim , cause i know she took her sim card to her new phone ..can i buy a brand new sim and use it with 3G phone and transfer my phone number on that new sim with my sisters old iphone 2g ..sorry but i am new to this sim stuff.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
great ill try! i dont think she has her sim , cause i know she took her sim card to her new phone ..can i buy a brand new sim and use it with 3G phone and transfer my phone number on that new sim with my sisters old iphone 2g ..sorry but i am new to this sim stuff.

You can get new sims for free at AT&T. Foe the 2G sim, just tell them you are activating an old iPhone and for the micro sim, you are going to activate an iPad but you lost the old sim.

ansabakhan

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2010
You can get new sims for free at AT&T. Foe the 2G sim, just tell them you are activating an old iPhone and for the micro sim, you are going to activate an iPad but you lost the old sim.

do i go to the store or can i order on phone ? dose the sim charge some thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.