Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Here is an example of what Android widgets can do:

f054417c.png

0754beac.png

I find the widgets to be really useful.

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
Well, if you have multiple clocks, those of us who travel for work often do, which one should it show? That's probably why its a static icon, they probably figured that was better than guessing which time to show and guessing wrong.

johndoe588

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Upstate New York
LOL! I love Futurama!

After I get an iPhone 4 I'll jailbreak as soon as I can. My 3GS does all those things and more, maybe best of all Lockinfo, which puts all sorts of useful information on the lock screen.

John B.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I wish it did. But, there is Pocket Weather that displays the temp as a notification badge. I just use the app for that purpose and am surprised other weather programs aren't doing the same thing.

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
Would you rather wait a lil bit for a jailbreak, or pay $200 for another phone just to get the temperature.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wish it did too.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
That's HTC's TouchSense software isn't it?

I would not know for I do not have an Android phone :) I took these pictures from the Motorola Droid forum though (check this thread for more examples) so I guess it's not a TouchSense. All Android phones support widgets.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
It just shows how limited iOS is. If you want updated weather display - buy Android.

It has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with a conscious choice by Apple to not support that feature in that particular app for whatever reason.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
apple should provide developers with dynamic icon APIs..i think the possibilities are limitless..imagine that the american express app displayed your current balance (people would have to lock their phone!), sports apps displayed scores like a stock ticker, etc

of course, all of these things could be turned off by the user if they wanted

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
It has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with a conscious choice by Apple to not support that feature in that particular app for whatever reason.

It does not matter whether it was a "conscious choice" or something else. It's a feature that Android has and iOS does not. If the OS is limited by someone choice it's still limited.

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Well if most of these apps that u would want this to have then you wod not need the app itself, once u set it up u would only look at the icon. Idk about u but im not too interested in the wether that I need to know every thing, the only reason I wod ever to go into the app wod be to see the whole fordcast.

ashVID

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I don't like the built in weather app anyway, I have a shortcut to a mobile weather site. Takes seconds to load. Widgets, dynamic icons, whatever you want to call them will come eventually but let's imagine 1) the data load and 2) the battery drain.

ash =o)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I don't like the built in weather app anyway, I have a shortcut to a mobile weather site. Takes seconds to load. Widgets, dynamic icons, whatever you want to call them will come eventually but let's imagine 1) the data load and 2) the battery drain.

ash =o)

Some companies mitigate this by using more power efficient screens (Super AMOLED on some Samsung phones) ;)

iRobertM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Seattle WA.
As you know, the temperature is just one example. The full story here is that iPhone screen is static whereas Android widgets give it life. There are tons of useful widgets out there: stock quotes, clocks, agendas etc. And whilst iPhone 4 users are enthusiastically sharing their newly found freedom to customize the screens a little (see this thread) it's really just a gimmick compared to what Android allows you to do. I am sure Steve Jobs will eventually come around on allowing the widgets in iOS but nobody knows how long it will take.

Why does a question about the iPhone on a iPhone forum have to turn into a Android is better statement?

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
there is a cheap app called currenttemp that puts a badge on the icon with the temperature. it updates every hour. i like it a lot - its small it’s always there and it works. they added a new feature so when you move to a new location it figures it out automatically.

tuatha

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
That's HTC's TouchSense software isn't it?

Sense. But no, the launcher at the bottom is different. Probably a mod.

The clock/weather widget is almost identical to the htc one, though. Possibly made by Beautiful Widgets.

Widgets really are great. It does add a tiny bit of management to the interface (at least during the initial set up), but well worth it. With FriendStream widget you can scroll through all your facebook, twitter and flickr updates without having to open the individual apps. Really handy.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
It does for me. Weatherbug says 73, bank sign says 73, iPhone weather app: 73.

What's the problem again homies?

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Why does a question about the iPhone on a iPhone forum have to turn into a Android is better statement?

It does not. We could just discuss the concept of Widgets (which is what the thread originator was really looking for) in general without mentioning any specific implementations. But that would be like hiding the elephant in the living room would not it? And we are not that thin skinned anyways ;)

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
It does for me. Weatherbug says 73, bank sign says 73, iPhone weather app: 73.

What's the problem again homies?

the iphone weather icon always says 73..it doesnt display the actual current temp..i guess its a coincidence that the place youre in is 73 degrees

RdeLassus

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Here is an example of what Android widgets can do:

f054417c.png

0754beac.png

I find the widgets to be really useful.

This the HTC SenseUI. It's a user interface that HTC built to lay on top of the stock Android OS in order to make it more user friendly. And now for my two cents on this...

My wife and I had been with AT&T for several years. We swapped over to Sprint at the beginning of this month and got the HTC Evo. It was the first Android phone we had ever used and we thought it looked great. Well, we very quickly found out about the downside of all those pretty widgets that they have for you. They are EXTREMELY data intensive (even if you lower down the update frequency). We were lucky if we went 6 hours of use without having to plug the phone in again. This got VERY old, VERY fast. Long story short, between that and the coverage not being as good where we live/work, we swapped our service back over to AT&T and got two iPhone4's. While I think it would be nice to have something simple like the current temp update on the icon as well, I also know that I need to be careful what I wish for now. I would much rather quickly open the app rather than have to CONSTANTLY plug my device up because the battery is dying.

Just my opinion on the matter...

:)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I have Steve's script for the release of the iPhone 5 with iOs 5.0.. I'm just putting in some of the highlights..

Me: Now the 8th thing about iOs 5.0 and exclusive to the new iPhone 5 is something everyone here is very excited about. It's unbelievable. And it just works. Real time weather icon on the home screen. I know. I know. We've been able to revolutionize the way you look at the weather with this new icon. You can now just look at the app icon and determine whether or not to bring that umbrella to work. Or whether you'll need sunblock that day. It's amazing and exciting and it's in iOs 5.0 ONLY for the iPhone 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.