Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Apple doesn't update the Mac Pro as often as everything else. Hopefully soon.

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
I am waiting to upgrade my MacPro and hoping June 7 will provide some official explanation of when it should occur.

The Buyer's Guide should drop the UPDATES SOON. It's been 478 days and counting. The way it's now looking, we'll be lucky to see an update this year. :mad:

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
The Buyer's Guide should drop the UPDATES SOON. It's been 478 days and counting. The way it's now looking, we'll be lucky to see an update this year. :mad:

On the contrary, it is not the Buyers' Guide that is wrong; in fact, there is no better illustration of Apple's misplaced priorities in chase of the quick temp fad buck. Even the LAST Mac Pro "upgrade" was merely a processor switch when they could have easily and should have put Blu-ray burners in the thing (as well as full Blu-ray support in Snow Leopard). The market is already YEARS past the point where Apple put DVD burners into the entire line, and shipping computers with superdrives is like insisting floppy drives are the next big thing. No, really. Steve said it, it must be so. It's embarrassing and enraging to anyone who gives an ef about Apple COMPUTERS and could care less for disposable fad iCrap for kiddies who will soon be buying cheaper and more powerful iCrap without Jobs' particular fetishes (no flash) and leaving Apple by the multi-millions.

Apple is now and probably forever branded as an overpriced fad toy manufacturer, and no longer cares a flying ef about making pro computer equipment and pro app software for adults. Who are leaving the platform by now, surely approaching millions. And at the higher end of the profit margin.

Momentum will carry Jobs and Apple-O only for so long.

Someone at Apple needs to give Jobs a full mental evaluation. I am NOT kidding, the man's illness has knocked more than a screw loose. Maybe the suits can finally understand it this way:

BOTTOM LINES ARE SUBJECT TO BUBBLES TOO. And when the iCrap bubble pops, and believe me, it will, Apple will have no reputation left to recover with, nor adult customers for the rest of its former bread-and-butter line.

Procrastination is one thing; dereliction is entirely another.

:apple:

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
On the contrary, it is not the Buyers' Guide that is wrong; in fact, there is no better illustration of Apple's misplaced priorities in chase of the quick temp fad buck. Even the LAST Mac Pro "upgrade" was merely a processor switch when they could have easily and should have put Blu-ray burners in the thing (as well as full Blu-ray support in Snow Leopard). The market is already YEARS past the point where Apple put DVD burners into the entire line, and shipping computers with superdrives is like insisting floppy drives are the next big thing. No, really. Steve said it, it must be so. It's embarrassing and enraging to anyone who gives an ef about Apple COMPUTERS and could care less for disposable fad iCrap for kiddies who will soon be buying cheaper and more powerful iCrap without Jobs' particular fetishes (no flash) and leaving Apple by the multi-millions.

Apple is now and probably forever branded as an overpriced fad toy manufacturer, and no longer cares a flying ef about making pro computer equipment and pro app software for adults. Who are leaving the platform by now, surely approaching millions. And at the higher end of the profit margin.

Someone at Apple needs to give Jobs a full mental evaluation. I am NOT kidding, the man's illness has knocked more than a screw loose. Maybe the suits can finally understand it this way:

BOTTOM LINES ARE SUBJECT TO BUBBLES TOO. And when the iCrap bubble pops, and believe me, it will, Apple will have no reputation left to recover with, nor adult customers for the rest of its former bread-and-butter line.

Beautifully stated. The bad news is you're probably spot on.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
and should have put Blu-ray burners in the thing

what you think they SHOULD is not going to be what they do.

Blu-ray is likely to never be in the machines or in the OS. If that's a breaking point for you, then move on back to windows.

Jobs said it was a bag of hurt and right after that they started a huge digital push. they are unlikely to drop that.

Every professional I know has had no issue with a 3rd party external and a copy of toast etc. or a windows machine. they are designing for 40-50" tvs and test on those not on computers so walking a few feet to a stand alone machine isn't a huge deal for them.

few consumers are up in arms about the whole 'there's no blu-ray' in the macs at this point and they are the folks that will be listened to since they are dishing out the bens to get what apple is offering.

as for your 'toy' comment. millions of ipads, millions of iphones etc. Apple ain't hurting for sales and probably won't be for a while. so I guess folks are happy to buy those apple toys.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008

Thanks. I've been saying it for three years, when I first withheld upgrading to a Mac Pro fully tricked out that was topping the scale at $15000. And started asking nicely for Blu-ray. After about the first fifty posts, it started getting not so nice.

And I had to endure hundreds of Apple shills and idiot fanbois and brats angry at Sony for some videogame DRM nonesense with the usual charlituna Blu-ray derision. One trip to Fry's enormous exploding Blu-ray section in any major city puts every one of them, and Mr. Steve Jobs himself, to his horror, in their place. In his honor I just dropped ANOTHER $800 on Blu-ray movies concert vids, and TV shows.

Now it seems I WAS prescient. And the naysayers will be nowhere to be found once Apple goes under, either. I know. I went through this with Amiga, and they NEVER EVER crapped on their high end customers the way Jobs does. They just weren't able to reinvent the transistor radio, with stolen free music instead of free AM radio music over the airwaves, now that AM has been handed over to the Goebbels talk crowd.

what you think they SHOULD is not going to be what they do.

Blu-ray is likely to never be in the machines or in the OS. If that's a breaking point for you, then move on back to windows.

Always has to been one left standing, doesn't there? I HAVE gone back to Windows. Pardon me for having a sense of nostalgia and rage over the $12,000 investment in Apple software I have here sitting useless on my new Windows tower that I had to duplicate for Windows.

Jobs said it was a bag of hurt and right after that they started a huge digital push. they are unlikely to drop that.

Jobs is a mentally ill short-sighted nutcase who will kill Apple if left in charge of the computer division and not immediately ghettoized to a toy fad dept. Not three years ago, but now to continue on this suicidal path? Absolutely.

Every professional I know

all three of them?

...has had no issue with a 3rd party external and a copy of toast etc. or a windows machine. they are designing for 40-50" tvs and test on those not on computers so walking a few feet to a stand alone machine isn't a huge deal for them.

I work at home, and my 65" is downstairs. It's a HUGE issue for me and I'm not the only one. What a load of rationalizing garbage. The fact that Macs didn't have Blu-ray two years ago when the standard was decided is pathetic; the fact they didn't have them three years ago ahead of the curve will prove to be fatal.

Few consumers are up in arms about the whole 'there's no blu-ray' in the macs at this point and they are the folks that will be listened to since they are dishing out the bens to get what apple is offering.

Like they ever could be heard anyway over the billions in cash and equipment Apple spends buying media and online "reviewers" to whore the latest piece of iGarbage, which they do as they are told to and then some.

as for your 'toy' comment. millions of ipads, millions of iphones etc. Apple ain't hurting for sales and probably won't be for a while. so I guess folks are happy to buy those apple toys.

Oh yeah. Right along with the Frisbee, the Hula Hoop, and the Slinky. And transistor radios and walkie-talkies.

"Over a billion served." By the clowns. For awhile.

Try thinking outside the box, like Mr. Steve Jobs is supposed to. In the big picture, being plugged in 24/7 mobile is not progress, it's a rat trap from which few will escape, until they're lining up for that Steve Jobs iBrain chip to be injected into their stupid heads.

Only the super-intelligent, WHO WANT TO REMAIN HUMAN, will want and be ABLE TO get AWAY from their work, and will gladly and wisely leave it AT THE DESKTOP.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

+1

That should be nailed to the front door of Apple Toy & Telephone headquarters.

MARTIN-LUTHER-NAILS-THESIS-1.jpg

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
+1

That should be nailed to the front door of Apple Toy & Telephone headquarters.

MARTIN-LUTHER-NAILS-THESIS-1.jpg

That is one of the greatest compliments I've ever received. Martin Luther, in spite of his failings, is one of my heros, third in line after Christ and Gandhi.

Hopefully someone with foresight and experience and courage is circulating these at Apple. Jobs might even be reading them; the reaction is certainly stubbornly childish enough.

However, at the end of it all, it is OUR money he'll never get until he gives US what we needed three years ago. You do not ever want to alienate your base. Especially when you've replaced them with fickle capricious children you've bet the farm on.

Thanks.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Long time fan boy slash user of other os's. Im ready for change whether Apple's there or not. Im in the Computer Graphics industry and always felt Apple was a bit behind the grunt speed (3D) but just right for the thinking creatives (graphic design). However, Im also deep into Motion Design and with the way things are going sadly Im ready for something different. The great thing is that my work is equipped with the latest and greatest MacPros, pardon the pun but really our most recent 2009 is practically the same specs now.
If they give up on the Pro world so be it, I had a great ride with Apple :)

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Long time fan boy slash user of other os's. Im ready for change whether Apple's there or not. Im in the Computer Graphics industry and always felt Apple was a bit behind the grunt speed (3D) but just right for the thinking creatives (graphic design). However, Im also deep into Motion Design and with the way things are going sadly Im ready for something different. The great thing is that my work is equipped with the latest and greatest MacPros, pardon the pun but really our most recent 2009 is practically the same specs now. If they give up on the Pro world so be it, I had a great ride with Apple :)

Even if Apple were to update their hardware the biggest letdown so far that I've seen is the nVidia drivers themselves. Some try to note that it is a Mac OS X but such issues are never seen in ATI drivers so something relating to the drivers must be at play. In the case of any hardware refresh, if the hardware is at the end of the day hobbled and held back by crappy graphics drivers then it won't really matter how much Apple improve their hardware the workstation will be held back.

Apple needs to realise that they're not competing against the Microsoft of Windows Vista or the Windows XP, they're competing against the Microsoft of Windows 7, .NET, Windows Phone 7, Silverlight, Expression Studio and so on. Sitting back allowing crappy drivers to slide under the radar is simply going to serve as an incentive to people like me (platform agnostic and sitting on the fence) to easily switch to the Windows/PC world next time one refreshes the computer.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Even if Apple were to update their hardware the biggest letdown so far that I've seen is the nVidia drivers themselves...
So far this has been the only drawback with Apple hardware. Id be happy if the fastest Quadro's can be used in our recent MacPro's.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
So far this has been the only drawback with Apple hardware. Id be happy if the fastest Quadro's can be used in our recent MacPro's.

And unfortunately I don't see things improving any time soon based on the behaviour of Apple so far. WWDC 2010 was an i-device w-nkfest with next to nothing about Mac OS X on the desktop/laptop/server, compound that further with the sh-tastic nVidia drivers, long standing bugginess in Snow Leopard, the refusal to provide a common framework which accesses the video decoding acceleration on both ATI, Intel and nVidia graphics cards, then there is the issue of poor communication and a lack of roadmaps to the future, the jerking around of programmers with decisions made only at the last minute etc. etc.

I'm going to wait till next year (because my machines don't need to be upgraded for at least another year or two) to see what WWDC 2011 turns out like - if it turns out to be yet another i-device w-nkfest then it serves as a pretty clear indication to me that Apple doesn't give a crap about their traditional computer business. I'll be looking moving to Windows and choosing one of the many vendors I can purchase an machine off - Apple had its chances in my books and if by 2011 there isn't a radical sea change they've lost not only customer but an advocate of Apple products to family, friends and in the work place (as a system admin).

anschelk

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
another tuesday ... there's still hope!
we need urgently a top of the line mac pro, though not last-years technology to last-years price.
it's been half a year when i started to look at the buyers guide and had this feeling, that we have to wait one or two months to get the 2010 - and i got an used octa 2008 to go along with our quad 2006.
so, here we are, late june. and still waiting. i am so happy that i bought the used 2008 back in december, though it's time for a really fast new one.

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
I have frankly lost any hope whatsoever and will consider other options I suppose.
Late Summer or early Fall was the word from my source at Apple just before WWDC. Unfortunately, looks like the intel is turning out to be true.:(

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Late Summer or early Fall was the word from my source at Apple just before WWDC. Unfortunately, looks like the intel is turning out to be true.:(

Any chance you could ask them why? Like what happened to slow track this?

Houston

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Any chance you could ask them why? Like what happened to slow track this?

I could ask, but I wouldn't get an answer. It's kind of obvious that Apple has put the Mac Pro on the back burner. The money lies elsewhere. I now just hope they come with an update this year.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
That is one of the greatest compliments I've ever received. Martin Luther, in spite of his failings, is one of my heros, third in line after Christ and Gandhi.

Hopefully someone with foresight and experience and courage is circulating these at Apple. Jobs might even be reading them; the reaction is certainly stubbornly childish enough.

However, at the end of it all, it is OUR money he'll never get until he gives US what we needed three years ago. You do not ever want to alienate your base. Especially when you've replaced them with fickle capricious children you've bet the farm on.

Thanks.

You're welcome.

I think you and a few others have hit the nail on head.

I haven't given up hope that AppleT&T will give more attention to desktop computers,
but it is dwindling fast. We shall see in the coming months.
If nothing substantive happens with major upgrades and complete
build to order, multiple option capabilities, I think the Mac is dead
in a couple of years.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I could ask, but I wouldn't get an answer. It's kind of obvious that Apple has put the Mac Pro on the back burner. The money lies elsewhere. I now just hope they come with an update this year.
I have this idea in my head that their stockpiling their money and getting ready to sell their computers at close to PC value. Maybe try and make a run at a higher percentage rate than what it is now. I can dream right?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I could ask, but I wouldn't get an answer. It's kind of obvious that Apple has put the Mac Pro on the back burner.

or perhaps the issue is that they don't have it on the back burner and are waiting for some key supply item to release. What's the word on processors and graphics cards right now. does anyone have something totally rock awesome due out in the next few weeks. Something that would totally be fan '**********'tastic in a pro. Is there anything supposed to happen shortly with the whole blu-ray licensing (that might cause them to actually have a blu-ray option in the pro) etc.

there's word that they are working on pro app updates, perhaps they are planning to release the apps and the Pro together.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I have this idea in my head that their stockpiling their money and getting ready to sell their computers at close to PC value. Maybe try and make a run at a higher percentage rate than what it is now. I can dream right?

That's too much to hope for. Jobs is a megalomaniac bent on remaking the entire world in his image. If he doesn't sit at a desktop but plays mobile all day long, then he'll do everything he can to insure it becomes that way for everyone else. We saw it with Blu-ray; we're experiencing it with flash, and it's not hard to extrapolate it to the entire pro app line and flagship desktops either.

I am deadly serious about the board needing to remove him as of last year. Or at the very least quarantine him to a toy department with the limited resources of Apple that such fad toys deserve. Let him produce the toys as the loss leaders and giveaways and ad gimmicks they will turn out to be once quashed by cheaper competition. Buying off media and reviewers will only work for so long once the base is gone, and Apple, we are nearly all gone.

eppel

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
That's too much to hope for. Jobs is a megalomaniac bent on remaking the entire world in his image. If he doesn't sit at a desktop but plays mobile all day long, then he'll do everything he can to insure it becomes that way for everyone else. We saw it with Blu-ray; we're experiencing it with flash, and it's not hard to extrapolate it to the entire pro app line and flagship desktops either.

I am deadly serious about the board needing to remove him as of last year. Or at the very least quarantine him to a toy department with the limited resources of Apple that such fad toys deserve. Let him produce the toys as the loss leaders and giveaways and ad gimmicks they will turn out to be once quashed by cheaper competition. Buying off media and reviewers will only work for so long once the base is gone, and Apple, we are nearly all gone.

Why is everybody so hysterical? Apple is selling more Macs than ever and is clearly working on OS 10.7. So no reason to expect the Mac line to be suddenly discontinued. We have to get used to the fact that hardware for us pro's is starting to become a smaller niche. Mac Pro's are only built for us professionals and no longer have a wider user base under consumers. Average users used to like a Powermac G4 to edit with iMovie for instance. Now you can edit with iMovie even on your phone. That isn't so much anybody's decision as it is the logical result of the way the technology and the market have developed. That won't mean Mac Pro's will be discontinued but it might cause prices to go up.

It doesn't make me stop wondering though why the Mac Pro's aren't updated. I mailed Steve about it today. Let's see if I get an answer.

By the way: Bluray or a redesigned case are things I couldn't care less about in an update. I just need more speed. Way more speed.

eppel

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2005
there's word that they are working on pro app updates, perhaps they are planning to release the apps and the Pro together.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. But I'm not sure if it would make sense for them to do that. But clearly the last Final Cut Studio update was an in between update and we should see something new in the not to distant future..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.