Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Is there a way to manually manage books and just drag and drop them onto my iPad in iTunes?

I've always manually managed my media on all my iPods and iPhones. When I click the "sync books" box on my iPad it says it will erase all my music and videos. I did it once and it then forces me to auto sync my media and will no longer let me manually manage my stuff. So, I unchecked the sync books box and spent an hour getting my movies and music back on the iPad but still can't find a way to manually manage books.

Why would they force you to use auto sync for everything just to be able to sync books? This doesn't make sense to me. Is it a bug or just how it is going to be?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Is there a way to manually manage books and just drag and drop them onto my iPad in iTunes?

I've always manually managed my media on all my iPods and iPhones. When I click the "sync books" box on my iPad it says it will erase all my music and videos. I did it once and it then forces me to auto sync my media and will no longer let me manually manage my stuff. So, I unchecked the sync books box and spent an hour getting my movies and music back on the iPad but still can't find a way to manually manage books.

Why would they force you to use auto sync for everything just to be able to sync books? This doesn't make sense to me. Is it a bug or just how it is going to be?

You can drag-and-drop books, pdfs, movies and music.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Okay, I must be missing something then. Currently, on the info tab for the iPad in iTunes, I have "Manually manage music and videos" checked. With that checked, whenever I try and drag a book to the iPad I get the circle with a line through it and it will not copy.

Is there something else I need to do or a setting I'm missing somewhere?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Okay, I must be missing something then. Currently, on the info tab for the iPad in iTunes, I have "Manually manage music and videos" checked. With that checked, whenever I try and drag a book to the iPad I get the circle with a line through it and it will not copy.

Is there something else I need to do or a setting I'm missing somewhere?

I'm assuming they're epub files with no DRM? Are you dragging them to the left-hand side of the iTunes window under the "Devices"? It should drop them in the appropriate spot if you do that.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
That must have been it or I was trying to drag a book off of the iPad (which I know doesn't work). Anyway, I was able to drag some PDF manuals of my home theater equipment onto the iPad. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.