Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frostee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Okay so I have an iBook G3 Clamshell 466mhz SE here and had the hard drive upgraded to a Team 16gb IDE Solid State Drive by a Mac repair shop (didn't have the time to do it myself at the moment). The tech there tried to install an OS but (from the phone explanation) the drive is recognized but can't be formatted for Mac or something like that. If you need more information on anything PLEASE ask me as I haven't booted the iBook myself yet. I have already spent $150+ on the SSD and labour costs I would dearly love for it to work.
To my understanding any HDD/SSD with the right interface should work (which I know it does)

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
What OS version (9 or what specific version of X) are you trying to install? Wouldn't at all be surprised if OS9 wouldn't work with an SSD without quite a bit of work-arounds (or simply not work at all).

frostee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
10.4 Tiger
I am not sure which one they were trying to install I shall give it a go with my own DVD

I see what you mean about the age of the thing. But as far as I know a computer can't tell if it is an SSD or HDD. Same thing

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
10.4 Tiger
I am not sure which one they were trying to install I shall give it a go with my own DVD

I see what you mean about the age of the thing. But as far as I know a computer can't tell if it is an SSD or HDD. Same thing

Give it a try with your own tiger DVD. Also, not the same thing unfortunately; I've seen quite a few systems read SSDs as just a flash drive.

frostee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Give it a try with your own tiger DVD. Also, not the same thing unfortunately; I've seen quite a few systems read SSDs as just a flash drive.
Even with the proper internal PATA interface. This doesn't look good :(

Thanks for the help. I MUST get this working, hit me with any workarounds!

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
Even with the proper internal PATA interface. This doesn't look good :(

Thanks for the help. I MUST get this working, hit me with any workarounds!

Interface won't really matter, all depends on how the drive is read. As far as workarounds go, I wouldn't even know where to begin - that thing is ancient.

frostee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Okay so here's some photo's of the attempt. First off I am really impressed with the complete silence of the thing now, its beautiful (except that its not working). It seems it can be formatted no troubles, recognized and works perfectly, however OS X can't install to the drive

2zxpeg7.jpg

2gtstj5.jpg

2n6w8w9.jpg

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Delete partition, create it one more time and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I don't know why, but sometimes issue like yours just happens... Remedy is to create partition once more. Should help.
P.S. use for large images ;)
BTW, i got SSD in my Clamshell and it's running beautifully. You've made good choice.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
When you partition the drive, make sure you're using Apple Partition Table instead of GUID Partition Table. The former can be used exclusively by PowerPC Macs and the latter exclusively by Intel Macs.

frostee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
When you partition the drive, make sure you're using Apple Partition Table instead of GUID Partition Table. The former can be used exclusively by PowerPC Macs and the latter exclusively by Intel Macs.
Yes I have been trying to get my problem solved on another forum, and I could not find the option for the partition tables (I was aware of this issue). In the end I found an option to install OS 9 boot drivers or something like that and now it is working. Installing Tiger as we speak :D

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Yes I have been trying to get my problem solved on another forum, and I could not find the option for the partition tables (I was aware of this issue). In the end I found an option to install OS 9 boot drivers or something like that and now it is working. Installing Tiger as we speak :D

Glad to have (told myself that I) helped. :)

frostee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2010
Upon use, my iBook feels significantly zippier and dead silent hoorah! Love it, when I get my new battery I am hoping for uber battery life.

Thanks folks, I'm surprised I solved this myself when a Mac tech at the shop today couldn't

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Upon use, my iBook feels significantly zippier and dead silent hoorah! Love it, when I get my new battery I am hoping for uber battery life.

Thanks folks, I'm surprised I solved this myself when a Mac tech at the shop today couldn't

You have to remember that "Mac Tech" doesn't mean all-knowing, all powerful computer god. :) It's quite possible he/she's never even seen a Clamshell before. Glad to see you got it working.

For the record, where did you get/what brand is your SSD? I'm keeping an eye on sources for PATA SSDs, and costs. Being a 16Gb I'll bet it wasn't terribly precious either.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Does this Clamshell have Firewire? I thought that Tiger can only be installed(officially) on FW enabled Macs?

**edit**
BTW, I'm glad that MR finally separated the PPC forums from the Intels :)

drewdle

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Nanaimo, BC
Does this Clamshell have Firewire? I thought that Tiger can only be installed(officially) on FW enabled Macs?

**edit**
BTW, I'm glad that MR finally separated the PPC forums from the Intels :)

His machine is a 466Mhz SE, which does indeed have the FireWire. Same machine I have, actually, so Tiger installation is a snap. Older versions (all the 300Mhz models and some of the 366Mhz variety) need XPostFacto to get Tiger to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.