Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Best Skins Ever has to be one of my favorite skins company out there. They use great quality skins at very affordable prices. I also like the options they give you to purchase either the Front, the Back side, or both! There cuts are very precise and right on point matching up to the iPhone 4 perfectly. Installation is also a breeze to go through, very simple and the only thing to really worry about is making sure your phone is lint/dust free and aligning the skin correctly on the device. It hasn't even been 24 hours and I've noticed it has already dried without leaving any cloudiness and/or air bubbles.

With BSE your going to get which ever skin you pick and an invoice in just a regular paper envelope saying "Your order is here… Woo Hoo!". As you can tell the company eliminates all this big packaging you see other skins shipping in. BSE does not include any wet solution or a squeegee for the installation which I personally don't mind since what you need, you practically already have!

I would advise you to turn your iPhone 4 OFF prior to the installation.

What I did is get a small spray container and filled it with water and just a drop of soap (i used dish soap) and then mixed the two up and there you go, you got your spray solution. For a squeegee I used a regular credit card (something stiff) so I could push out all the water and air bubbles. I performed this installation on top of a lint free microfiber cloth and had an extra small cloth beside me to wipe away all the water from coming out of the sides. Once you start to squeegee the liquid out your going to want to grab a cloth and wipe it away especially around the dock connector and headphone jack so you don't trip the sensors!

Once your satisfied with the skin then all you do is let it dry. Personally what I did is once I was done, I slipped it into a regular rubber case and just let it dry that way, it seems that way the case is putting some pressure on the phone so it might dry a bit faster.

For the Installation process it couldn't be any easier and less frustrating than other skin companies I've used in the past. The price is very low - you can get a Total Body Skin (front, back, and sides) for $7.99, the screen portion for $5.99, or the back portion and sides for $5.99 as well. Shipping time took about 3 days from ordering online to getting straight in my mail box.

Below are some pictures that I took with the BSE on the back of the phone and on the side/top of the iPhone 4. As you can see it's almost invisible! I love it and from now on I'll be giving my business to BSE.

Please note I am in no way affiliated with Best Skins Ever.

sm0

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Wellington, NZ
Thanks for the review pal and nice install. Btw, where did you get the butt plug?

Will you be using as is or using another case i.e. bumper over it?

Cheers

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Thanks for the review pal and nice install. Btw, where did you get the butt plug?

Will you be using as is or using another case i.e. bumper over it?

Cheers

Bought the plug at my local radio shack for a couple bucks in a pack of 2. For now I'm gonna try it naked in a belt clip holster!

thecoolone1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Waiting on delivery.

How come no pic on the front? That's what most will be looking at. :cool:

Only back and sides for me. I'm going with SGP Steinheil crystal on the front which by the way are amazing screen protectors!

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Nice review, thanks.

Did the same thing as you, just ordered BSE for the back and already have a crystal SGP front installed, although I'll probably swap it out for PS when it's available.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I love BSE and have used them for years. I ordered two skins from them for the iPhone 4. For whatever reason the front skin has not dried correctly. Ive never had this problem and have installed over 20 of these. Plus it looks like there is an inch horizontal line in the skin. Disappointed but I have another skin to use.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
oh and did your come with a cover near the volume buttons? mine did not and it looks strange.

VTAb182

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
How is the feel of it? Does it feel like nothing is there, rubbery, orange peel?

Hellishness

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Wow, I'm actually considering BSE after those pics. Looks much better than the one on the back of my iPod touch that I'm holding right now. I have to ask though, does it actually look that nice in real life? Your angles seemed a bit steep, almost as if you were trying to make it look nicer than it really is...

joneildu

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
It really looks nice in real life. I did, however, snap some shots of the orange peeling, because it does orange peel. It's not noticeable unless you angle the phone under contrasting light. It also does have a rubbery feel to it, which I actually like. I took some pictures of the orange peel effect here. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/958676/

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
I just got mine in today, I order them maybe 2 days after the release of the iPhone and was surprised that mine have the updated cut for the LED Flash! Best Skins Ever are the best ever.. just got to wait for my iPhone 4 to come in the mail :/

germanjulian

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
hopefully will get mine end of the weak.

I like the bumper but I want to go naked now.

I didnt get insurance for no reason :) a drop is a drop :cool:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Has anyone seen a difference in signal problems with a BSE? I.e you had the problem and this lessened or eliminated it? I'm soon to get an ip4 and am weighing my options. I've used BSE w/o a case on my iPhone 2g and 3GS but don't know if it affects the antenna issue.

teezee09

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
How is the feel of it? Does it feel like nothing is there, rubbery, orange peel?

I find that it adds a bit of rubbery texture. I like it though because it gives the phone some grip when I'm using it without the bumper. Still when I pull it out of my pocket, the back film is smooth enough that I have to look at my phone to see which side is the front vs the back. There's a slight orange peel if you look at it at the right angle, which is why I only have a film on the back.

LeroyTheGreat38

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2009
I would also like to know if it helps with the antenna issue.

And what does the plug do in the bottom of the phone?

kenshin!

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2010
To the original poster:

Very nice review! May I ask you, did you spray paint your own iphone 4 yourself or is it professionally done? can we please see the picture of the front of your iphone? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.