Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
Likely only apple. Rogers or other telco's may sell it contract free, but it will likely be locked to them still. If you want contract free AND unlocked, go to Apple.

I looked on Google Maps, i only saw 6 or 8 Apple store's in Canada....

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
If you guys have questions about Rogers-specific plans, the Rogers forum on HowardForums is a great resource.

Hissori

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2008
1. Month-by-month means that you can cancel at anytime without penalty you are not under contract. You have to tell them that you want this type of plan, they will complain and offer you free stuff if you sign up for 3yrs but if you want this plan you have to bug them for it. So yes it is like signing up for a $50/month plan but not being locked down for 3yrs.

2. Rogers might claim that some plans aren't offered on month-by-month but you can get nearly all plans on a month-by-month offer.

But if the month to month plan costs the exact same as a 3 year contract plan, what makes a month to month plan worth it? Assuming you want to be on a plan for the same length of time...

You're basically paying $300 (iphone) + $50x36mo = $2100

vs

$800 (iphone) + $50x36mo = $2600

So... what's the point?

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
But if the month to month plan costs the exact same as a 3 year contract plan, what makes a month to month plan worth it? Assuming you want to be on a plan for the same length of time...

You're basically paying $300 (iphone) + $50x36mo = $2100

vs

$800 (iphone) + $50x36mo = $2600

So... what's the point?

Some people like the freedom of not having to pay next month if they don't want to. It's much better to spend the extra money (500$) to gain that kind of freedom.

Just like it works with subsidizing. You never get those free 0$ phones, they're garbage and wont last until your upgrade time, you always spend the extra few hundred to get a phone that is worth more to re-sell and will last you longer.

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
This iPhone 4 delay is actually not too bad for my situation. Due to my constant use of mywi, I would have had to wait until iPhone 4 was jailbroken anyway. Hopefully by the time iPhone 4 is available in Canada, there will be an unlock solution.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
I'm a little torn about whether I should just get a 3GS. Honestly, the 3GS would be enough for my needs, since I don't really see myself using FaceTime and I doubt I'll use HD video much. But I like the idea of improved camera, nicer screen and higher storage capacity on the 4 (if I got the 3GS it would be the unlocked 8GB one from Apple).

ianham

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Alright, so I'm wondering if someone could tell me some stuff to say to get some deals when the iP4 comes out. Here's my complete situation:
-Looking to get an iP4 with a plan <$50/month
-Been a Rogers internet and cable user for 5+ years
-Also on my family account is my brother's Nokia cell which he pays around $70/month for MY10 Nationwide.
-I want unlimited text, caller ID, visual vm, and 1gb of data.

Is it possible?

Sorry, still haven't got an answer.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Alright, so I'm wondering if someone could tell me some stuff to say to get some deals when the iP4 comes out. Here's my complete situation:
-Looking to get an iP4 with a plan <$50/month
-Been a Rogers internet and cable user for 5+ years
-Also on my family account is my brother's Nokia cell which he pays around $70/month for MY10 Nationwide.
-I want unlimited text, caller ID, visual vm, and 1gb of data.

Is it possible?

Being a Cable or Internet subscriber is not going to get you any sort of discount.

Unless your brother and you are on the same account then I wouldn't see that as a reason for a discount

And what you want for less than $50? No Try $60 or close to $70, esp if you want caller id which is now $8 a month and 1gb of data which is priced at $30/month.

A regular plan could be something like:
Take a $30-$35 voice plan and tack on a $40 Smartphone Data plan Value Pack which includes what you want above but Enhanced Voicemail instead of Visual Voicemail. And 500mb of data vs 1gb.

But unless you are a Rogers customer already.... I won't expect a sweet deal for a new customer.

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
I'm a little torn about whether I should just get a 3GS. Honestly, the 3GS would be enough for my needs, since I don't really see myself using FaceTime and I doubt I'll use HD video much. But I like the idea of improved camera, nicer screen and higher storage capacity on the 4 (if I got the 3GS it would be the unlocked 8GB one from Apple).

The 3GS is still a very nice phone. But consider that you can easily transfer stuff from the phone to the computer at anytime, do you really need all that space?

But it is up to you and what you want... If you want wait a week or so after launch for the Apple store as well as your cell phone store to have a demo iPhone 4 on hand and also a 3GS too, try it out, take some pics, record some videos, and then decide. I wouldn't line up on launch day or pre-order one if you totally aren't sure you really want something that you have doubts about.

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
The 3GS is still a very nice phone. But consider that you can easily transfer stuff from the phone to the computer at anytime, do you really need all that space?

But it is up to you and what you want... If you want wait a week or so after launch for the Apple store as well as your cell phone store to have a demo iPhone 4 on hand and also a 3GS too, try it out, take some pics, record some videos, and then decide. I wouldn't line up on launch day or pre-order one if you totally aren't sure you really want something that you have doubts about.

Hi draz, thanks for the advice. I think I'll wait it out a bit longer. I am a little nervous about the antenna and proximity sensor issues some people are having. I hope they announce an official release date soon!

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
That's like the best plan of all time!

How long have you been a customer and how long did you have remaining on your contract when you made the call to retentions?

So when you call C/S and say "I want to cancel" they'll automatically send you to the retention department right away??

I've been a customer for at least 4 years, have always had bills in the hundred range and now have 2 years left on my 3 year contract. My plan is like this....

$30 - 150 day min. Plus double your minutes and an additional 50 minutes on top equalling 350 day minutes total plus free evenings and weekends

$9 - starts my evenings and weekends at 5pm

$20 - iPhone value pack - call display, visual voicemail, unlimited text and picture messaging and who called

$30 - 6 gig of data

$2 - name display

$5 - auto roadside service

They also give me a $5 credit every month, I forget why that happened though.

Plus system access and 911

Do you guys think I can do better??

yes you can!!

here is my bill to look at, this was after 2 calls , once you threaten to have a better deal at another carrier...in order to cancel you go to customer retentions which HAVE the power to make almost any deal they want with reason to keep you.

i have been a customer for 2 years with internet, my phone bill used to be 80 a month....now you can see its 63...with some other charges...normally its 55 or so.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-07-04 at 7.55.18 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-07-04 at 7.55.18 AM.png
    62.9 KB · Views: 81

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
yes you can!!

here is my bill to look at, this was after 2 calls , once you threaten to have a better deal at another carrier...in order to cancel you go to customer retentions which HAVE the power to make almost any deal they want with reason to keep you.

i have been a customer for 2 years with internet, my phone bill used to be 80 a month....now you can see its 63...with some other charges...normally its 55 or so.

Hey MacMod...thanks for the attachment. It gives me an idea of where I can be.

On another note...don't you all think it's weird Apple has put their iPhone 4 specific apps in the Canadian app store?

It's almost like here's a tasty chocolate cake but only for you to look at! LoL

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
Hello, Another question. srry for bieng annoying.

but,

Can someone from the USA order a iphone from the canadian site and have it shipped to a USA addrees??? Or it has to be only Canadian address???? Or can someone order a from a canadian site at all using a USA pc?

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

thnx

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hello, Another question. srry for bieng annoying.

but,

Can someone from the USA order a iphone from the canadian site and have it shipped to a USA addrees??? Or it has to be only Canadian address???? Or can someone order a from a canadian site at all using a USA pc?

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

thnx

I know I heard somewhere it has to be a Canadian address, but it wasn't from an official source. Best thing to do to know for sure is contact Apple Canada and ask them.

rawCpoppa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
I know I heard somewhere it has to be a Canadian address, but it wasn't from an official source. Best thing to do to know for sure is contact Apple Canada and ask them.

Canada Apple store only ships to an address in Canada. US store only ships to US address. If Apple stores shipped outside of their country thousands would just have ordered from Hong Kong, Australia or other countries where it is illegal to sell locked phones.

krUnIzZlE

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Moon
Canada Apple store only ships to an address in Canada. US store only ships to US address. If Apple stores shipped outside of their country thousands would just have ordered from Hong Kong, Australia or other countries where it is illegal to sell locked phones.

Ok, thats fine, i have relatives in canada. and can someone order from a USA computer on the canadian apple site???

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Did you guys hear Rogers is opening a new telco called Chatr (I think that's how it's spelt, as in "chatter")

they should worry about current customers rather then another brand.

rogers while, less coverage and usually more expensive has the best customer service and it truly is the most reliable network (that i have experienced all across canada).

my biggest pickle with rogers is that there network is mostly EDGE unless your in or close to a major city, where as bell i get coverage almost anywhere and its always 3G.

i will most likely stick with rogers for the time being, they have cut my internet bill in half and significantly decreased my cell bill.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
they should worry about current customers rather then another brand.

rogers while, less coverage and usually more expensive has the best customer service and it truly is the most reliable network (that i have experienced all across canada).

my biggest pickle with rogers is that there network is mostly EDGE unless your in or close to a major city, where as bell i get coverage almost anywhere and its always 3G.

i will most likely stick with rogers for the time being, they have cut my internet bill in half and significantly decreased my cell bill.

Well you my friend are lucky. I've had the opposite experience with Rogers. My cable/internet/cellphone bill is NEVER accurate. I have to call in once a month to have it fixed. Plus they have previously made mistakes and refused to fix them by simply saying "sorry, we can't fix it".

So yeah, it really depends on your luck...

draz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Did you guys hear Rogers is opening a new telco called Chatr (I think that's how it's spelt, as in "chatter")

Direct competition to Wind, Mobilicity, and Public Mobile... A good move on their part, separating thier brands in 3 tiers with Rogers Wireless being top, Fido in the middle, and Chatr on the bottom.

And also given that most of their customers are moving to 3G UMTS network their other GPRS/EDGE network isn't getting much traffic so its perfect for all that extra space to be used with Chatr.

Good for Rogers bad for the 3 new comers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.