Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikums1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
NY
I have Mac o.x 10.6.4 , I just bought this macbook in March and it is acting slow. When I go to website like facebook and login it is very slow and takes forever. It does this often when I go to websites, Is there a disk clean up or something I can do to speed it up again?

THanks in advanced

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
Is it only concerning web browsing? What browser do you use? Have you tried others? How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

uptherighttree

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
my MBP has recently slowed right down. Using Safari is a total ball-ache and firefox is not much better.

I did the repair permissions and had a cache clearout but still having issues.

Tempted to do a fresh install but bit scared of doing something that drastic.

I've done a time machine and a carbon copy cloner of my drive. Is there anything else I should do before wiping it?

(sorry to hijack this thread but I was going to post something like this very soon)

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
my MBP has recently slowed right down. Using Safari is a total ball-ache and firefox is not much better.

I did the repair permissions and had a cache clearout but still having issues.

Tempted to do a fresh install but bit scared of doing something that drastic.

I've done a time machine and a carbon copy cloner of my drive. Is there anything else I should do before wiping it?

(sorry to hijack this thread but I was going to post something like this very soon)

Have you checked the SMART status of your hard drive? It might be going if it's slowing down noticeably and those measures haven't fixed it.

Mikums1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
NY
0 dev I have no idea how to repair the permissions :( , ergdegdeg I am using Safari and I am not using any other browser, I have 230.30 left on my hard drive

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
0 dev I have no idea how to repair the permissions :( , ergdegdeg I am using Safari and I am not using any other browser, I have 230.30 left on my hard drive

Open Disk Utility, so it looks like this:
screenshot20100705at164.png

Then click "Repair disk permissions"

embalmess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks 0dev...

Thanks 0dev! (I was going to post a thread like this and saw someone else had) Especially for posting the graphic (and instructions), it seemed to work for me, I was ready to go in and pay some guy to clean it up :

Is this something I should be doing every few months or so? Or just when my computer gets slow? Thanks again!!

Mikums1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
NY
I tried the permissions thing and it is still slow, either it is slow or the page will not load like on you tube some things will load on the page and some will not :(

embalmess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Later...... Mik, my computer is slow again too :( The repair seemed to work for a bit... I'm so tired of seeing that wheel spinning (in Safari) forever and ever, argh!!! What should we do???
:confused:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Clear cookies, clear your cache, empty the Trash, reboot.

Open up Activity Monitor, click the thing at the top of the list of processes that says "%CPU" and tell me if there's anything that comes to the top which is using too much. Screenshot it if you don't know. Then click "Real mem" and do the same.

Angra-mainju

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
UK
After updating to 10.6.4 and to safari 5, I have the same problems. my MBP 13'' (mid-2009) model has slowed down

Mikums1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
NY
I tried everything, I go to websites like, youtube and facebook and it is so slow! I cleared everythng, did the disk permission but it is still slow (on websites) I thought when this first happened to me (it was the 4th of July) my friend said probably cause eveyone is tring to get on.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
You know i have the same issues with safari (blackbook 06).. I find that firefox runs much better..

I think its something with safari itself, as my internet connection is 7mbps and i know my net speed is actually good because of downloads.

Try seeing your history in safari if its maybe set to keep it forever, i changed mine to like a day and it actually helped quite a bit.

Just there is something with safari that i notice i gotta hit enter when i type the sites address like twice or three times before it actually loads it right up. It seems to get stuck at times loading for some odd reason.. and i do repair my permissions constantly

Mikums1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2010
NY
You know i have the same issues with safari (blackbook 06).. I find that firefox runs much better..

I think its something with safari itself, as my internet connection is 7mbps and i know my net speed is actually good because of downloads.

Try seeing your history in safari if its maybe set to keep it forever, i changed mine to like a day and it actually helped quite a bit.

Just there is something with safari that i notice i gotta hit enter when i type the sites address like twice or three times before it actually loads it right up. It seems to get stuck at times loading for some odd reason.. and i do repair my permissions constantly

YES! that is exactly what happens I have to click enter in the address bar like 3 times until a website loads, which is very slow. I am using Road Runner

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Yah i dont think this is due to our macs lol, especially since you have a newer one makes me feel a lot better as i started doubting myself and saying yah its the mac.

There is something wrong with safari.. perhaps a reinstall of it would help. the history stuff deff helps but im gonna try running some cleaners and see when i get a chance.

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
Empty your cache. If you're running 10.6.4, I'm assuming you have Safari 5.0, but if not upgrade. I find that it's a dozen times faster than 4.0. Also, check your Activity Monitor. You might have some runaway apps that are sucking up CPU power. If so (and you don't need them) quit or force quit them. SnowLeopard Cache Cleaner is also great for giving your Macbook a nice speed boost.

And of course, you can always upgrade your RAM. But nobody likes spending more money when you've already paid $1000 for your computer.

Also, in my opinion, Firefox is the worst browser I've ever used on OS X. It sucks my CPU down, hogs all the memory, and runs slow. I use Chrome as an alternate browser if need be.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Empty your cache. If you're running 10.6.4, I'm assuming you have Safari 5.0, but if not upgrade. I find that it's a dozen times faster than 4.0. Also, check your Activity Monitor. You might have some runaway apps that are sucking up CPU power. If so (and you don't need them) quit or force quit them. SnowLeopard Cache Cleaner is also great for giving your Macbook a nice speed boost.

And of course, you can always upgrade your RAM. But nobody likes spending more money when you've already paid $1000 for your computer.

Also, in my opinion, Firefox is the worst browser I've ever used on OS X. It sucks my CPU down, hogs all the memory, and runs slow. I use Chrome as an alternate browser if need be.

Got the max amout of ram tho already installed, 2GB. Iam going to give that Cache cleaner a try :)

why dont you go to speedtest.net to make sure it isn't an isp issue.

dont think its an isp issuee... According to speedtest.net

Download: 6.55 Mb/s
Upload: 0.52 Mb/s
Ping: 30ms

Pretty sure thats more than sufficient to browse pages, minus the upload speed of course :p

jsf8x

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
I tried the permissions thing and it is still slow, either it is slow or the page will not load like on you tube some things will load on the page and some will not :(

Maybe you have poor wifi connection? I know it seems like a simple answer but you never know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.