Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ender17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Hi, what's the best way to convert from a Blu-Ray ISO to MP4? I'm actually using Windows 7, but was hoping someone from this forum could help.
Thanks

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Hi, what's the best way to convert from a Blu-Ray ISO to MP4? I'm actually using Windows 7, but was hoping someone from this forum could help.
Thanks

Handbrake will do it, but make sure you check the large file size option. Regular MP4s cannot be larger than 4gb and bluerays will compress to more than that.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Handbrake will do it, but make sure you check the large file size option. Regular MP4s cannot be larger than 4gb and bluerays will compress to more than that.

Not always. I have a few Bluray encodes at 720p using constant quality at RF20 that are less than 4GB in size. The last Harry Potter movie is one that stands out to me as the 720p encode ended up smaller than the 480p Digital Copy included by the studio.

That said, most devices can deal with 64-bit MP4 files nowadays, so I'd just leave "Large File Size" checked just in case.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK

As far as I know Handbrake wont open an ISO.

Best bet is to mount the ISO using DEAMON tools lite or Virtual Clone Disk then use MakeMKV to extract the main movie to a mkv file then use Handbrake to convert the mkv to an mp4.

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010

Best bet is to mount the ISO using DEAMON tools lite or Virtual Clone Disk then use MakeMKV to extract the main movie to a mkv file then use Handbrake to convert the mkv to an mp4.

I use the 64 bit version of handbrake and it works with isos just fine, if it is already on the harddrive as an iso. As roidy says, MakeMKV can extract from the actual disk if you are ripping from the disk and need to extract, etc..

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003

As long as the ISO contains a format hb can read ... hb can open right from the ISO. Afaik HB has read dvd iso's since almost the beginning.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Us poor Windows users don't get a 64bit version or the ability to open ISO's directly:(

edit:- Handbrake wont open any of my ISO's made with AnyDVD.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Scratch that, just tried one of the new nightly's and it works fine. Just out of interest does it handle Blu-ray ISO's?

a2applegirl

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Scratch that, just tried one of the new nightly's and it works fine. Just out of interest does it handle Blu-ray ISO's?

Yes I have encoded some blu-ray iso's in handbrake, but they were already ripped to the harddrive as an image. Being such a mac person, I don't even have a blue ray player, but being a real movie buff I have bought a few titles in blueray and borrowed a windows laptop to rip the iso image to disk. :D

Ender17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
I have HandBrake 0.94 and under source it only has options for video file, DVD folder and DVD drive. :confused:

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
HandBrake does not currently understand the Bluray disc structure, so you'll have to know which file contains the feature movie. This is further complicated by the fact that movies can be split between multiple files (although this appears to becoming a rarer occurrence). This also means that you won't have subtitles (which can be an issue for a few discs that use subtitle tracks for forced subtitles), or chapters.

I suspect the necessary support will eventually be added to Handbrake, but the developers have other commitments that take a lot of their "free" time. Here are a couple threads on the Handbrake forums that deal with encoding from Bluray/HDDVD and the forced subtitle issue.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9258
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16784

Ender17

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Use the video file option to load the ISO. Also get one of the new nightly versions of Handbrake, much faster and better quality than 0.9.4

http://build.handbrake.fr/
HandBrake does not currently understand the Bluray disc structure, so you'll have to know which file contains the feature movie. This is further complicated by the fact that movies can be split between multiple files (although this appears to becoming a rarer occurrence). This also means that you won't have subtitles (which can be an issue for a few discs that use subtitle tracks for forced subtitles), or chapters.

I suspect the necessary support will eventually be added to Handbrake, but the developers have other commitments that take a lot of their "free" time. Here are a couple threads on the Handbrake forums that deal with encoding from Bluray/HDDVD and the forced subtitle issue.

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9258
http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16784
I'll check it out. Ripbot seems to work pretty well if anyone is looking for another option.

nmharleyrider

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2013
ISO to mp4 with Handbrake

Used Handbrake and tried to load in an ISO but I got an unreconizable format message. Got this on several Bluray ISOs.
Thanks

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Depends on how the BluRay was ripped. It has to be decrypted during the rip. HB won't do that. Then you have to mount the ISO. One it is mounted as a virtual BluRay, HB can read it. Windows 7 requires software for this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.