Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I need to boot into Disk Utility to repair my OS X partition but don't have my Snow Leopard install disc with me. I tried using a Leopard disc from my previous computer but got a gray screen when I tried it. Is there a way to create a new CD that will allow me to access Disk Utility from startup?

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Oregon
I need to boot into Disk Utility to repair my OS X partition but don't have my Snow Leopard install disc with me. I tried using a Leopard disc from my previous computer but got a gray screen when I tried it. Is there a way to create a new CD that will allow me to access Disk Utility from startup?

Get your model #, serial number and iPhone and call Apple. They will send you a replacement DVD in the mail very quickly for $16.00 or Free if you have apple care. I just received a install disk for a 2003 Power Mac with no problems a few days ago.

:D

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
That's good to know. Is there any more immediate solution such as loading Disk Utility on a flash drive or something like that?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
That's good to know. Is there any more immediate solution such as loading Disk Utility on a flash drive or something like that?

Not entirely sure about this, but if you by some chance have the dmg, you might be able to install OS X on a flash drive if its big enough. Again, not sure, but I think I may have read somewhere that someone did it.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
You don't "boot into Disk Utility", but rather boot into an OS, then use Disk Utility. Any bootable MacOS X disc will do, as long as that disc can boot the computer (discs older then the computer will not work, newer will).

But honestly, the chances are small that Disk Utility is going to fix the problem. It can only fix a number of minor issues with the directory structure, not anything that is file-related. You are probably going to need the appropriate installer DVD.

dashcs

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Im assuming you want to click repair disk form the install discs on your internal HD.

You can just boot into single user mode and run the repair command.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

/sbin/fsck -fy

There is ZERO difference between the repair disk command from the install discs and the one used in single user mode

mike000000

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2016
Get your model #, serial number and iPhone and call Apple. They will send you a replacement DVD in the mail very quickly for $16.00 or Free if you have apple care. I just received a install disk for a 2003 Power Mac with no problems a few days ago.

:D

Hi to all,i have an Imac and can't get to Disk utility,no matter i tried recovery, and install os from an original usb, i will attach a picture to show where it's stuck,i tried different hard drive , it seems a hardware problem,i was surfing the net , then it started to turn off by itself,many times then stuck,any help will be appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Mike

Attachments

• mac stuck.jpg
    mac stuck.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 449
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.