Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbluhp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Are the legit and any good? I don't want squaretrade due to they won't cover lost/theft and at&t's is way to high.

s2k25

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I have used them

hey, i have used them since i had my 3G. They are actually really good. i have made a few claims with no hiccups and had a lost phone as well. I now have 4 iphone 4;s insured with them. i think for the price and what you get there is no better choice. just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
I'm looking for a good insurance that isn't Applecare and these guys look pretty legit. But any other feedback would be greatly appreciated. 5.99 a month seems a little too good to be true...

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Hmm... The only positive poster is a newbie with zero other posts? That is not exactly encouraging. The web site provides no address for the company and the terms are not very believable. Anything that seems too good to be true is usually a scam.

falconman515

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Sure wish we could find out more about this. If this is legit THIS would be the insurance to have!

stackshady

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Las Vegas, USA
Domain created Nov 13, 2009 (http://www.whois.net/whois/insureappleiphone.com)

Text Logo.
Shady Website.

I wouldn't trust it. Might want to look into Worth Ave Group. I don't believe Worth Ave Group covers you if the thing just breaks though (non-accidental).

iphone_comparison_sm.jpg

rjmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
Well when you go the website and click on the "View Service Agreement Here" link, it comes up "Page Not Found". Broken link!!!

That doesn't bode well for the credibility of the company and who knows how much the deductible is...

It LOOKS promising, but without details, I am skeptical at best.

EDIT: Just found out about the deductible although it's very vague:

Is there a deductible?
Yes. Most iPhone repairs have a $50 deductible. In rare cases that your iPhone is damaged beyond repair, there will be a slightly higher deductible.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
not a chance.. their images are all super poor quality, no logo.. the buttons are trying to be web 2.0, no terms, their sign up form is HTML and posts to an e-mail, i actually looked up the post form and it's not compatible with their server so you couldn't sign up anyway, but this is totally insecure, it will be transfering it over an unsecure html to an unsecure e-mail address.. (viewing the source of the page i can see that it is populating fields for e-mail)..

if they weren't idiot coders then they would be stealing your info, since it's going to an e-mail address they may or may not be actually processing it creating an account for payment, i found a cached google page of their address and it's
P.O. Box 950095
Lake Mary, FL 32795
a po box.. not only that but the file doesn't exist anymore...

the photos are all 3gs phones though they started in Nov 2009... the domain was only registered for 1 year, most registrars default at 3 years, they apparently aren't planning on staying around too long..

i called their 1 800 number and it told me i would be connected with the next available rep.. been on hold for 5 minutes and it said that due to unusually high call volume the wait till will exceed 15 minutes and to leave a message and my call will be returned...

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM! If you want to try this then prepare to have no coverage and all sorts of random charges on your account, this is 100% without a doubt a phising site..

here's a cached version of their service agreement
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...com/Home/IAPPPR1.pdf&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Note a couple of things:

If we decide to repair, here's how the coverage works:
• We will give you a pre-paid shipping label once you file a claim. Once you've shipped your item toour service depot, we will repair it and return it to you within 3 days and then ship it back to you at no cost to you. We are not responsible for items lost in transit.

All coverage begins the day you sign up, but claims may not be files until 30 days after purchase, and does not cover willful damage or negligent use. A $50 minimum deductible applies on all items. Lost or stolen phones will require a deductible based on our replacement deductible which varies depending on your iPhone model.

1st section titled DEDUCTIBLE: Claims made that are repairable will incur a $50 deductible. Claims made that are a total loss due to being beyond repair will incur a minimum $150 deductible. Claims made for lost or stolen phone will incur adeductible equal to the fair market value price of your iPhone. These deductibles for lost/stolen phone will changebased on market value of your iPhone.

2nd section titled DEDUCTIBLE: Claims made that are repairable will incur a $50 deductible. Claims made that are a total loss due to beingbeyond repair will incur a minimum $150 deductible. Claims made for lost or stolen phone will incur adeductible ranging from $250 to $550 depending on the model of your iPhone

Unless amended by the State Specific Provisions, this Service Agreement sets forth the entire contract between the parties and no representation, promise or condition not contained herein shall modify these terms.

It promises all these protections on the website, but in the contract it doesn't say what it covers or that they are even required to provide coverage for any time period, or for any reason really. The ONLY coverage it guarantees in it's contract is Power Surge, and it is only if it is from one of their approved surge-protectors.

There is absolutely nothing in the service agreement that guarantees any terms or conditions, it does not say that you are guaranteed any coverage, nor the time period in which you are guaranteed coverage.

not to mention terrible grammer throught the site, and their rotating splash display is made in flash, not javascript, it's not made to ever be changed or updated, because they are not planning to..

i hope no one falls for this scam...

oh and I tried to look them up in Florida where they claim to be and i can't find them in Florida's business registry...

while we're at it when it says product it calls it '4g' and since in their terms it defines the product as the product listed on your receipt, which would be iphone 4g, which doesn't exist. this site is a bunch of bologna

Reactions: mattyu007

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
i'm not so sure about that Worth AVe Group either really, they look much better on their site and have contact information that may or may not be valid, they also have a BBB registration, but it claims they were formed in 1971 yet both their BBB registration and website were late april 2010

their form is secure and their policy is underwritten by hanover insurance group, which though they themselves don't seem to have cell phone coverage, they are legit, public corp

stackshady

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Las Vegas, USA
i'm not so sure about that Worth AVe Group either really, they look much better on their site and have contact information that may or may not be valid, they also have a BBB registration, but it claims they were formed in 1971 yet both their BBB registration and website were late april 2010

their form is secure and their policy is underwritten by hanover insurance group, which though they themselves don't seem to have cell phone coverage, they are legit, public corp

Well, at least their online chat support is online during the specified times.

rjmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I just got off the phone with a Rep from the actual company. He called me back becasue I left him an email message on the website last night.

He was very informative, professional, and helpful. I told him there was a thread created at this forum and it would be a good idea to "sell us" his service.

I am looking forward to seeing if there is any post response from him.

Cheers!

s2k25

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Hmm... The only positive poster is a newbie with zero other posts? That is not exactly encouraging. The web site provides no address for the company and the terms are not very believable. Anything that seems too good to be true is usually a scam.

i find it quite interesting that someone asked for some feedback about a company that i use i gave the feedback that is unique to me and you reply with an idiot remark. if you people were not so fast to pick apart everything that comes across as being to good to be true and so on you may find what "newbies" say to be useful. i have nothing to gain or lose by giving you my opinion. if you want to know the answer pick up the damn phone and call them!

rjmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
i find it quite interesting that someone asked for some feedback about a company that i use i gave the feedback that is unique to me and you reply with an idiot remark. if you people were not so fast to pick apart everything that comes across as being to good to be true and so on you may find what "newbies" say to be useful. i have nothing to gain or lose by giving you my opinion. if you want to know the answer pick up the damn phone and call them!

Ditto

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene
this website honestly couldn't be more shady, i could produce a more professional scam in about an hour... seriously.. insecure form that goes to e-mail alone is reason enough.. and their address is hidden, terms link is broken, and the cached version doesn't actually provide terms.. read my post above and if you really want to go ahead and use this company then don't be surprised if weird things start happening to your bank account or when you try to make a claim...

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene

you said you've done several claims and even lost a phone.. in their terms they state that do not accept more then 3 claims and also once their repair costs have equaled the cost of the product (your phone) they terminate service.. they also said that replacements have a deductable equal to the "fair market price" of the item, then they say ($250-550 depending on model).. so no.. I don't believe you...

Edit: forgot to add, the website was registered in late november and according to their terms they don't allow claims for first 30 days, so giving you the benefit of the doubt, you have had them for just barely 7 months and you've made several claims and lost your phone? wtf do you do to the poor thing?

the website refers to the iphone 4 as the iphone 4G, so it hasn't even been touched or edited or updated in at least 2 months

rjmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
you said you've done several claims and even lost a phone.. in their terms they state that do not accept more then 3 claims and also once their repair costs have equaled the cost of the product (your phone) they terminate service.. they also said that replacements have a deductable equal to the "fair market price" of the item, then they say ($250-550 depending on model).. so no.. I don't believe you...

What you are stating is consistent woth what the rep sadi to me during the phone call. Since then I have received a follow up email and the Customer Relations Manager is going to post a reponse in this thread.

I do find it odd that they called/emailed me at 7:45pm. Wouldn't a legitimate company call you back during business hours?

Hmmmmmmmm......

s2k25

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I dont even know why i am bothering with this but the stupidity i keep reading cracks me up. The deductible thing is correct they base it on fair market value. Why is this? because the offer loss and theft. the whole idea is that if you lose your phone they can replace it for you cheaper than what at&t would without a contract. This being said, morons like you would take advantage of it if it were a $50 or $100 deductible to get new iphone. Why do you think barely any companies off lost or theft on iphones, and the ones that do cancel your contract after you make the claim. even squaretrade will only repair your phone up to the value and then your contract is cancelled.

rjmoose i dont know where you live but there hours are 9-9 eastern time. if you live on the west coast it might be different.

if you people want to over pay then go ahead. they are good for what I need. it makes me laugh how stupid you people are. you must really be computer geeks if you have nothing else to do...haha enjoy nerds!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I dont even know why i am bothering with this but the stupidity i keep reading cracks me up. The deductible thing is correct they base it on fair market value. Why is this? because the offer loss and theft. the whole idea is that if you lose your phone they can replace it for you cheaper than what at&t would without a contract. This being said, morons like you would take advantage of it if it were a $50 or $100 deductible to get new iphone. Why do you think barely any companies off lost or theft on iphones, and the ones that do cancel your contract after you make the claim. even squaretrade will only repair your phone up to the value and then your contract is cancelled.

rjmoose i dont know where you live but there hours are 9-9 eastern time. if you live on the west coast it might be different.

if you people want to over pay then go ahead. they are good for what I need. it makes me laugh how stupid you people are. you must really be computer geeks if you have nothing else to do...haha enjoy nerds!

So you've made exactly 3 posts, and all are on the same topic. Your credibility is suspect and you have to resort to name calling to make your point. Very tacky.

rjmoose

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
rjmoose i dont know where you live but there hours are 9-9 eastern time. if you live on the west coast it might be different...

They called me at 7:30 Pacific/10:30 Eastern

As I said before, the proof will be if they post to this thread to see just how credible they are.

insidmal

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Eugene

it's not coverage of loss or stolen if you have to pay full price to get it back.. that's not insurance...

also you really put your credit card info over an unsecure network to some random guy's e-mail address? ballsy...

you can talk all you want i'm never going to trust that site and advise everyone not to do it, their terms are super shady, your timeline doesn't add up, and they've taken their address and the contract terms off the website.. and use an insecure form.. like i've said in 3 posts this is the absolutely most unsafe thing you could do

lskeys

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010

Signed with Worthavegroup today. Checked them out on BBB.org. No complaints from either state,local, or federal gov. Also, did not see any individual complaints. Did a year's service for $85.10 with $600.00 coverage limit. They seem to offer the best bang for the buck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.