Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
OMG!

There are 9 posts in here already that say that Apple is not to be blamed. Can Apple ever be blamed for anything???????!!!!!!! Talk about the ultimate fanboys.

Apple has really become the "Spin Zone" lately and can do no wrong. Anyone ever think about why they have so many disappointed iPhone 4 customers and the rushed release which obviously had nothing to do with quarterly earnings? Or maybe the fact they created a "bumper" i.e. band-aid for their design flaw?

I understand that they have stock holders to answer to but can they at least own up to something? Sometimes owning up to something proves you are not without flaw but at least willing to listen.

Did Steve finally get a hold of the Microsoft 101 book? He really is executing it nicely.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I wouldn't. The days of hiring the thief to catch thieves are over in cyberspace IMO. There are enough "white hats" out there with network security backgrounds. Hiring the now assumed ex-con is not worth it.

I'd like to see public executions of guys like this with the audience done pay-per-view and the positions in the firing squad sold via eBay.

Oh,....

No, ..Um ..

Yeah .......You Are correct and not a nut-job at all !

You "Clearly" understand sarcasm and can also throw it back ( I hope )

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
OMG!

There are 9 posts in here already that say that Apple is not to be blamed. Can Apple ever be blamed for anything???????!!!!!!! Talk about the ultimate fanboys.

While some zealots are over the top, Apple is not at fault, here. Unless evidence comes out that their servers were hacked to obtain the account info, but that hasn't happened. How about a little perspective?

I had my cc info stolen at a fast food joint. I was out for blood. But it's not like the corporation behind Taco Bell is at fault. I called my bank about it, and the cops, and had my money back within 24 hours and a new card within 5 days or so. There are laws about these things, at least in the USA.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Oh great. For those of us that do have secure passwords we're going to get stuck entering our CCC and iTunes password more often.

Having to enter your password over and over again just to update apps is annoying enough --- especially if you already have a passcode.

Seems like the best route don't you think? Otherwise, people that are now complaining about having to enter their password and CCV numbers because of this - will also be the same ones complaining when their own account gets hacked and crying foul because Apple did nothing to thwart it.

Pick your poison. :rolleyes:

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
123456 isn't a "hard to hack" password. Neither is 654321 or qwerty, iloveyou, etc.

In one analysis, 20% of users use about 5000 common passwords.

Plus other ways in how your accounts can be compromised:
http://obamapacman.com/2010/07/apple-store-itunes-app-store-hacked-how-to/

Someone steals your credit card info and buy things from any store, would you go to the store for a refund or contact your credit card?

Btw, using your name for a forum user name = security fail.

Is your name Kevin by chance?

stanny

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Do people even do brute force style attacks anymore? Just in case, everyone should do a quick check on their purchase history under the account page to see if there were any unauthorized purchases.

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Do people even do brute force style attacks anymore?
Yes, in certain circumstances. More likely to see a dictionary type attack than a straight brute-force though. It doesn't make any sense in this situation though. Three failed login attempts and you're locked out.

A more likely scenario is that these users used the same password somewhere else and he got ahold of that.

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
My wife's iTunes account was hacked not to long ago. Apple might not be at fault but there is a lot more than could have done to help.

My wife found out about it when I kept bugging her to update an app. When she tried doing it on the iPhone it said her password was wrong. She tried it on the desktop and got the same report. I told her to click the "I forgot my password" link and was told the username did not exist.

Turns out the hacker changed her username, password and security questions and then started buying apps (and a couple of albums). Apps included a map of Beijing.

What could Apple have done to make this better? They could have sent an email to her original email address (account name) to inform her of the change or even maybe ask her to confirm that change.

iTunes does not have phone support. If you have not bought an Apple device in the last 90 days they have to get approval to give you phone support.

The guy I talked to in the end suggested that we not use email addresses as the account name. Of course, we aren't allowed to choose an account name that is not an email address.

Another thing that Apple could do is turn off the app or music that was purchased fraudulently. They should add that capability if it doesn't already exist.

The only thing Apple lost in this was electrons. They gained sales (as did the app developers) and profits. There were even charges that had not gone through because the bank shut down the card and Apple still wanted my wife to pay for those charges. In the end she had to buy a gift card to pay for those charges and Apple refunded the cost of the gift card.

She did not reveal her password through phishing schemes. Maybe someone was able to guess it but it was a pretty good password.

objc

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
OMG!

I think you answered your own question. ;)

I never apply the security updates that show up in Software Update. It's pointless, because there could not have been any security holes in the first place!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
OMG!

Apple has really become the "Spin Zone" lately and can do no wrong. Anyone ever think about why they have so many disappointed iPhone 4 customers and the rushed release which obviously had nothing to do with quarterly earnings? Or maybe the fact they created a "bumper" i.e. band-aid for their design flaw?

I understand that they have stock holders to answer to but can they at least own up to something? Sometimes owning up to something proves you are not without flaw but at least willing to listen.

Did Steve finally get a hold of the Microsoft 101 book? He really is executing it nicely.

Clearly you are ignorant.

If someone hacked Apple and got access to a database with 120 million passwords, why did they choose to just pick 400 random passwords to use in their little scheme.

See what happens when you apply logic to your illogical rantings?

Lord Vader

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2010
Death Star
I use gift card when i need to buy something and i try not to leave any credits. Problem solved.

P.S.

If Apple account information was gathered not through security holes in Apple servers I can't see how it's Apple's fault.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
LOL sure you do.

Although realistically the chances of any one person knowing the itunes status of 30 other people for something that just happened is zero... but sure keep pretending.

I give you the Gizmodo Star!

A while back, the store I worked at got about 15-20 (no joke) of the roughly 45-60 items that were made with the wrong part (and thus shorting out). Staggered ordering, etc. - random chance and we got about a 3rd of all of them!

Improbable is not Impossible.

epo

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
of course, if Apple says 400 were hacked, then it must be true....

keep drinking the kool-aid....

I know at least 30 of those 400 then...

I must be the luckiest fellow on earth...
How interesting! You all live in the same place do you? Nurses treating you well?

Fraaaa

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
London, UK
Lately I have been asked the iTunes password whenever I'm not downloading anything, usually whe I wake the phone, never happened before.
I always press cancel, still is weird.

Ever happened to you?

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
OMG!

I bet more then 400 credit cards get phished a day on the internet. We are talking 2.6e-6% of iTunes accounts were hacked.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Lately I have been asked the iTunes password whenever I'm not downloading anything, usually whe I wake the phone, never happened before.
I always press cancel, still is weird.

Ever happened to you?

You may have an update lost in limbo. Its happen to me a few times when an updated failed to download.

muziq

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
NYC Baby
LOL sure you do.

Although realistically the chances of any one person knowing the itunes status of 30 other people for something that just happened is zero... but sure keep pretending.

I give you the Gizmodo Star!

I never said I knew them personally, but if you took the time to read some of the many forum postings, you can actually count at least 30 people who have been compromised this weekend...

Relax, I wasn't talking literally, they are not my closest friends...

The best part about this whole thing is the people who had their accounts drained can not blame Apple at all.. It's the fault of the user, for having a bad password, or not knowing anything about computers, or some other lame excuse.. God forbid Apple steps out, and makes it easy for us to actually deal with this instead of sending out a copy and paste emails telling US to deal with it, and "change our password"...

To all you kids on the soapboxes who claim Apple is no way at fault here, again, wait until someone takes your money, and don't give a crap about you..

Then we'll see how much you'll sit back and accept it was all your doing, and work hard to get your money back..

I love Apple and their products as much as the next person, but c'mon people, for the love of God, stop treating them like they can never do wrong..

Are you all brainwashed?

And can someone please explain to me, if ONLY 400 accounts were compromised, how exactly did the Apps in question make the top 50? My account was used to purchase ALL of those apps and suddenly they are in the top 50..

So if Apple's logic is true, you are telling me it only takes 400 of the thousands of Apps on the store to crack the top 50?

Somehow, I really don't believe that..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.