Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uanuglyfool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
The Moon, CA
I found this guy in one of our lab rooms. It was locked away in a cabinet. What should I do with it??

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 78
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    984.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Use it as a paper weight? It's a G3 and therefore not particularly useful for modern day use. Heck my iBook G4 barely runs YouTube, baaarely...

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Oregon
So the OP found something in a locked cabinet in a lab room and feels anything on it can be taken and sold? I would call that theft.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. I found and old Commodore PET in storage at a work place and the Boss said I could have it. Business often give away old obsolete equipment they no longer use.
:rolleyes:

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
About morality

Turn it on an return it to the owner?

Ask the boss, whose it is and whether you can have it, if the rightful owner cannot be found or if it belongs to the department.

Sell it anonymously and wipe all fingerprints off it?

Try to wipe your conscience!

keep it, finder's keepers.. :D:D

Just as well, he can take all the lab equipment - he found them in the lab!

Sell it. You can still get $100+ for one of those on CL

...if your integrity can be priced at $100. But you won't get that much for it, I suppose. $70? Can you put that tag on your character?

So the OP found something in a locked cabinet in a lab room and feels anything on it can be taken and sold? I would call that theft.

Exactly.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. I found and old Commodore PET in storage at a work place and the Boss said I could have it. Business often give away old obsolete equipment they no longer use.
:rolleyes:

Your boss let you have it. Big difference. Do you want my old iBook? You can have it, if you collect it. But if you take the same laptop without my permission, that's still theft.

Yes indeed bosses do, I have come home with many bits and bobs

Again, bosses do. Only thefts don't ask.

mrchinchilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Use it as a paper weight? It's a G3 and therefore not particularly useful for modern day use. Heck my iBook G4 barely runs YouTube, baaarely...

This is no reason to render a computer defunct! Computers are not solely for streaming video on the internet! You could still do many things with that laptop – seeing as it's the 12" model, it's highly portable and, if the battery is past its best, you could easily find a new one which would hold at least a 3 hour charge! Laptops like these are perfect for typing up notes for, say, a university student or even just light browsing. And if you don't want it, I'm sure that someone out there will pay good money for it (I think those models can sell for $250+ on eBay).

uanuglyfool

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2009
The Moon, CA

LOL way to be such a downer. I just wanted ideas or something fun I can do with it. And FYI its our EE lab at school so anything in there is for the student to keep/use/repair or whatever. But dont worry, I put it back where I found it.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
This is no reason to render a computer defunct! Computers are not solely for streaming video on the internet! You could still do many things with that laptop – seeing as it's the 12" model, it's highly portable and, if the battery is past its best, you could easily find a new one which would hold at least a 3 hour charge! Laptops like these are perfect for typing up notes for, say, a university student or even just light browsing. And if you don't want it, I'm sure that someone out there will pay good money for it (I think those models can sell for $250+ on eBay).

It's actually the 14" model.

They do make excellent digital photo frames.

To find out the specs, just lift up the keyboard. There are 2 sliding pins on either end and you will have to use a small flathead screwdriver to turn the middle pin. The keyboard just lifts right out and the specs are listed at the top.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005

It's really very sad how so many people around here judge a computers usability by how well it plays youtube vids.

What a horrible benchmark/ideology.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
It's really very sad how so many people around here judge a computers usability by how well it plays youtube vids.

What a horrible benchmark/ideology.
i know, it's very sad, i just brought a 500mhz ibook g3 and love it, sure it can't play youtube vids, my 900mhz couldn't, but i can post on macroumors fine and after putting my old battery in i should have about 3 houres of battery life so i'm happy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.