Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
callmemike20
macrumors 6502a
 
callmemike20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Consumer Report's does not recommend iPhone 4

Although I am, along with many others, very happy with my iPhone 4, Consumer Reports can't recommend it.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...twork-gsm.html

Quote:
It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side—an easy thing, especially for lefties—the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.

We reached this conclusion after testing all three of our iPhone 4s (purchased at three separate retailers in the New York area) in the controlled environment of CU's radio frequency (RF) isolation chamber. In this room, which is impervious to outside radio signals, our test engineers connected the phones to our base-station emulator, a device that simulates carrier cell towers (see video: IPhone 4 Design Defect Confirmed). We also tested several other AT&T phones the same way, including the iPhone 3G S and the Palm Pre. None of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4.

Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that "mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

The tests also indicate that AT&T's network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4's much-reported signal woes.

We did, however, find an affordable solution for suffering iPhone 4 users: Cover the antenna gap with a piece of duct tape or another thick, non-conductive material. It may not be pretty, but it works. We also expect that using a case would remedy the problem. We'll test a few cases this week and report back.

The signal problem is the reason that we did not cite the iPhone 4 as a "recommended" model, even though its score in our other tests placed it atop the latest Ratings of smart phones that were released today.

The iPhone scored high, in part because it sports the sharpest display and best video camera we've seen on any phone, and even outshines its high-scoring predecessors with improved battery life and such new features as a front-facing camera for video chats and a built-in gyroscope that turns the phone into a super-responsive game controller. But Apple needs to come up with a permanent—and free—fix for the antenna problem before we can recommend the iPhone 4.

If you want an iPhone that works well without a masking-tape fix, we continue to recommend an older model, the 3G S. (The full list of recommended smart phones models appears as part of our latest Ratings, available to subscribers.)

—Mike Gikas
Many people follow this magazine religiously and this bad news can really hurt Apple even more.
__________________
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S 64gb Space Gray
callmemike20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Steviejobz
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC
Consumer Reports Does NOT recommend iPhone 4

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...twork-gsm.html
__________________
Steviejobz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:51 AM   #3
callmemike20
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
callmemike20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
It's breaking news all over the media now. AAPL is dropping.
__________________
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S 64gb Space Gray
callmemike20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4
TruckdriverSean
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Texas, US
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well what do ya know?

Maybe we'll see those "free bumper" vouchers BEFORE we're all old and gray!
__________________
 2009 5,1 cMP  2012 MBa  iPhone 6 64GB
TruckdriverSean is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Padraig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
So, they offered their initial recommendation without actually reviewing it?
Padraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:55 AM   #6
xenuprime
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I really don't see how anyone could beleive it was software in the first place, but it is good to have it confirmed by these guys.
__________________
And lo, when the seventh seal was broken a white iPhone 4 appeared!
xenuprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:56 AM   #7
r3voLoL
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Bet we see some updates pushed out in the next week or two. (I know they won't fix it, but they have to "attempt" something and save their stock.)
r3voLoL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:56 AM   #8
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
The endless complaining on this site for the past 2 weeks mean very little.

THIS is when things get interesting. Should be fun to see what happens now!
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:57 AM   #9
Sherifftruman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Well, this should help push them to fix it. Lots of people will absolutely not buy something if it is on CR not recommended list. No matter what.

Now, CR will test whatever "fix" apple does and they will probably be busted if it is a simple remapping of the bars to the signal.
Sherifftruman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:57 AM   #10
gloss
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
So, they offered their initial recommendation without actually reviewing it?
They reviewed it in a vacuum and right-handed, so the issue didn't necessarily crop up.
__________________
when you say it's all over / hell yeah anyway
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:58 AM   #11
xenuprime
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Is there anything Duct Tape can't do?
__________________
And lo, when the seventh seal was broken a white iPhone 4 appeared!
xenuprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:59 AM   #12
callmemike20
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
callmemike20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckdriverSean View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well what do ya know?

Maybe we'll see those "free bumper" vouchers BEFORE we're all old and gray!
I sure hope it's sooner than that. I purchased a bumper on launch day, so a refund would be all I need.

I could see Steve giving all buyers a $100 apple gift card or something to buy a case and something else for all our trouble.
__________________
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S 64gb Space Gray
callmemike20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:59 AM   #13
satirev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemike20 View Post
It's breaking news all over the media now. AAPL is dropping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3voLoL View Post
Bet we see some updates pushed out in the next week or two. (I know they won't fix it, but they have to "attempt" something and save their stock.)
Do you guys seriously think that stocks drop because of a...."consumer report"
satirev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:00 PM   #14
ARF900
macrumors 65816
 
ARF900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemike20 View Post
I sure hope it's sooner than that. I purchased a bumper on launch day, so a refund would be all I need.

I could see Steve giving all buyers a $100 apple gift card or something to buy a case and something else for all our trouble.
That would be $200 million dollars, guess again.
ARF900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:01 PM   #15
rotobadger
macrumors 65816
 
rotobadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by satirev View Post
Do you guys seriously think that stocks drop because of a...."consumer report"
Well it's not a "consumer report". It's THE Consumer Reports.
__________________
2010 17'' Macbook Pro i5 4GB RAM * 13'' Macbook Pro C2D * Two 24" Cinema Displays * iPhone 5 black 64GB * Macintosh Plus (displayed in my office)
rotobadger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:01 PM   #16
xenuprime
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by satirev View Post
Do you guys seriously think that stocks drop because of a...."consumer report"
Yes, but if it does, it will be a small one-two day dip (depending on how the media handles this news).
__________________
And lo, when the seventh seal was broken a white iPhone 4 appeared!
xenuprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:02 PM   #17
Small White Car
macrumors G4
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by satirev View Post
Do you guys seriously think that stocks drop because of a...."consumer report"
I know MANY people who base all of their purchases on that magazine. It's a big deal.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:03 PM   #18
rwilliams
macrumors 68030
 
rwilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Durham, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenuprime View Post
I really don't see how anyone could beleive it was software in the first place, but it is good to have it confirmed by these guys.
Because Apple told them it was software.

What's Apple going to do when people discover that their iOS update doesn't remedy the problem? How long will they keep denying this? At this point, just own up to it and give everyone a free bumper.
rwilliams is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:04 PM   #19
callmemike20
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
callmemike20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by satirev View Post
Do you guys seriously think that stocks drop because of a...."consumer report"
When a certain product controls most of a company's revenue, and people see bad news about that product, you can be damned certain that the stock will drop.

It may be a small drop over a few days, then it may bounce back. But, bad news causes a stock to drop at least for a short period.

It's down about $4 from it's day high.
__________________
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S 64gb Space Gray
callmemike20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:04 PM   #20
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Consumer Reports 'Can't Recommend' iPhone 4 Due to Signal Issues



Earlier this month, popular product review and comparison group Consumer Reports noted that it felt that signal issues with the iPhone 4 were not significant enough for users to forgo buying the device, citing overall improvement in signal strength and the fact that many phones experience the same issue.
Quote:
There's no reason, at least yet, to forgo buying an iPhone 4 over its reception concerns. And even if those do materialize, Apple's Steve Jobs helpfully reminds new iPhone buyers that "you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund."
Just one day later, however, Consumer Reports confirmed that it had been able to duplicate the signal loss issue in real-life settings, something it wasn't able to do in its testing center.

Today, as part of its smartphone ratings, Consumer Reports officially reports that it is unable to offer a "recommended" label for the iPhone 4, despite the fact that the device's feature set placed it at the top of the magazine's rankings.
Quote:
It's official. Consumer Reports' engineers have just completed testing the iPhone 4, and have confirmed that there is a problem with its reception. When your finger or hand touches a spot on the phone's lower left side -- an easy thing, especially for lefties -- the signal can significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal. Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4.
The magazine confirmed the signal loss issue in its testing laboratories while also finding no comparable loss in other smartphones, including the iPhone 3GS, suggesting that Apple's claim that the problem is simply a software display issue may not be true. The magazine also confirmed that duct tape placed over the affected portion of the case alleviates the issue, as should also be the case with cases and bumpers.

Consequently, Consumer Reports notes that it is unable to recommend the iPhone 4 until Apple comes up with a permanent and free fix for the signal issues.

Article Link: Consumer Reports 'Can't Recommend' iPhone 4 Due to Signal Issues

Last edited by WildCowboy; Jul 12, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:04 PM   #21
iae610
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenuprime View Post
Yes, but if it does, it will be a small one-two day dip (depending on how the media handles this news).
Correct. As an apple stock holder Im not worried about the issue. People need to just get case, you can benefit in so many ways. Now I do think they should be giving the bumper away for free but whatever. It really isn't a big deal
__________________
13" Macbook 2.16 GHz 2GB ; 16GB iPhone ; 32GB iPad
Visit my Tech Blog here!
iae610 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:06 PM   #22
xenuprime
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
AAPL is currently down $3.04. Could be a coincidence, but....
__________________
And lo, when the seventh seal was broken a white iPhone 4 appeared!
xenuprime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:06 PM   #23
rotobadger
macrumors 65816
 
rotobadger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by iae610 View Post
Correct. As an apple stock holder Im not worried about the issue. People need to just get case, you can benefit in so many ways. Now I do think they should be giving the bumper away for free but whatever. It really isn't a big deal
While I agree that getting a case can minimize or eliminate the issue (I got a case) the non-geek public (which is probably the majority of iPhone buyers) will not care. All they will hear is that it has problems and is not recommended by Consumer Reports.
__________________
2010 17'' Macbook Pro i5 4GB RAM * 13'' Macbook Pro C2D * Two 24" Cinema Displays * iPhone 5 black 64GB * Macintosh Plus (displayed in my office)
rotobadger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:06 PM   #24
Pentad
macrumors 6502a
 
Pentad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana
Ouch!

I hope Apple does something to turn this around before it become anymore of a PR disaster...

Let me help you Steve:

1. Fix connection issue with recall
2. Investigate iPhone 4 catching fire from last week.

Thank you!
__________________
2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina * 2.6 Ghz QCore * 16 GB RAM * 1 TB SSD; OS X 10.10; Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit via Boot Camp ;
Pentad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:07 PM   #25
callmemike20
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
callmemike20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenuprime View Post
AAPL is currently down $3.04. Could be a coincidence, but....
Nope. If you look at the chart for the day, the stock was actually up a little more than $1 until the news broke. Then it went negative.
__________________
Mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro; iPhone 5S 64gb Space Gray
callmemike20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consumer reports very anti-iPhone write up phr0ze iPhone 11 Dec 4, 2013 04:40 AM
phones: Consumer Reports: Samsung Galaxy S4 is top phone ceva321 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 32 May 26, 2013 12:25 PM
iPad Mini: Consumer Reports on iPad Mini AJsAWiz iPad 29 Dec 4, 2012 09:00 PM
Consumer Reports recommends the iPhone 5 samcraig iPhone 1 Oct 5, 2012 04:13 PM
Anyone catch the new Consumer Reports? davidra iPhone 13 Jul 4, 2012 04:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC