Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I'm considering getting an Android phone and I want to know how well it plays with OS X. Does it show up on the desktop like any normal drive? Can you drag n drop files onto it? Does it let you load songs and movies onto it just by drag n drop? Does it work with itunes at all? What about syncing calendars? etc.?

Thoughts?

macgirlPhD

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
I'm in the same boat--I'm about to get both a new iMac and the Droid X.

For syncing iCal to the phone, people have highly recommended http://spanningsync.com/ to me.

I haven't used it personally. But it appears to do the trick!

HTH!

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I use Salling Media Sync and am pretty satisfied. Missing Sync has also been suggested, but it costs more. Lovin' the Android phone, though!

Oh, and yes, it does mount on the desktop as a drive -- two, actually if you have an SD card installed. You can drag and drop to your heart's content!

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
But what about actually direct-loading files onto the device? Meaning, does the android device just show up on my desktop like a regular connected drive, and then I can just drag and drop MP3 files into a music folder and have them show up in the phone's media list? Or do I *have* to use some sort of media syncing software to load things onto it? Because one of the big advantages I expected from using an Android phone was that I could just drag and drop stuff right into the phone through the finder without having to use an itunes-like piece of software just to move files in or out of the phone.

So, does the android phone's drive show up on the finder's desktop just like any other connected storage drive, or do you *have* to use a special program to interact with the phone connected to you mac?

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
So, does the android phone's drive show up on the finder's desktop just like any other connected storage drive, or do you *have* to use a special program to interact with the phone connected to you mac?

As I stated in my previous post, yes, the phone and the SD card show up on the desktop as drives and you can drag and drop just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.